It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Should I See a Psychiatrist?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
    7yearsdungeon
    (female)

7yearsdungeon HB User
    Should I See a Psychiatrist?

I wont go into too much detail for tl;dr purposes, but I think there might be something wrong with me. Expressing some of my habits, feelings, and worries to others usually gets me strange looks and criticism, so I guess it's not 'normal'. My mom and sister both think I may have anxiety or something with similar symptoms. However, my boyfriend thinks I'm just immature and like to overdramatize situations.

I'm not sure which it is. Is there really something wrong, or am I just immature?

A little background for you: My childhood was full of abuse and harassment from my father after my parents divorced when I was 8. My mom worked the night shift so I was stuck with my alcoholic/drug-addict father who had been diagnosed bipolar on top of that. He destroyed my self-esteem and I think have lingering affects from his abuse such as flinching at sudden movement/loud noises and being extremely easily startled to the point of hyperventilation. Then my mom remarried to a man with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (it's different from OCD, don't feel like explaining) anyway, he was very emotionally abusive and controlling. Then I entered a relationship with a man who had Manic Depression who was physically abusive and extremely possessive and controlling.

So, basically, my problem is that I panic when faced with any sort of change. Small or large, doesn't matter. Even when plans change, I just shut down, I have no idea how to handle it. I have to force myself to make phone calls, my heart races and I stutter. I can't deal with people raising their voices, I will immediately start crying, it freaks me out so bad. If faced with any sort of conflict, I panic. When my boyfriend is angry with me, I can't eat or sleep or think about anything until I know he's not mad anymore. I obsess over it until it's fixed, it's like my brain shuts down and the only thing I can process is that I need to apologize over and over and do whatever I can to make him forgive me. When I get nervous (and this happens almost daily) I pee like ******* crazy. Seriously, I'll make 3-5 trips to the bathroom within an hour or so. Whenever any kind of stress enters my life, I can barely eat or sleep and it's the only thing I can think about until it's resolved (this might be normal for any person enduring stress though)

I have 3 moods: Nervous, Numb, Excited (almost high feeling). Some days, I'm just on edge and I'm not sure why. It's like I'm waiting for something bad to happen. Other days, I feel nothing at all and just want to sleep. And sometimes, I feel restless, like I just gotta do something but I don't know what. I just can't sit still or focus on anything at all I just GOTTA DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING.

I also have an issue with escapism and obsession. I find something I like and I obsess over it until I can't possibly learn anything more about it and I've already read and viewed everything related to it that's available online. Then I move on to a new obsession. And when I say "obsession" I really do mean the literal definition of obsession. It consumes me.

Anyway, these are the main issues that either friends, family, or myself have noticed may not be "normal". Boyfriend thinks I'm fine, just over-dramatic. Family thinks I should talk to someone. I personally don't want to spend the money on a psychiatrist if I'm just an "immature, over-dramatic, typical woman". But, on the other hand, I'm sick of feeling the way I do and I just want to go a day without freaking out over something small and insignificant. What do?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: 7yearsdungeon
    movielover40 (04-04-2017),Snoopy61 (04-04-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2017, 01:01 AM   #2
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User
    Re: Should I See a Psychiatrist?

Hey there,

Good on you for reaching out! Healthboards is a wonderful place with so many caring people that I am sure amongst us all we will be able to help aid you make a decision for your future from this day forward

Honestly from what you have described from your childhood to now, I would certainly recommend psych services. There is a lot going on there and I am not about to make any assumptions what so ever but working through your childhood trauma would be a really good start and then go from there.

I wish you all the best!
    K.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

From what you have explained I believe seeing a Psychiatrist as well as a Psychotherapist would be very helpful for you.

Psychiatrists diagnosed and prescribe medications. Psychotherapists help you work through childhood trauma/issues, help you to learn how those childhood issues/trauma are affecting you life and relationships, learn new ways/strategies of coping and more.

Please keep in mind Psychotherapy is not a quick fix and can take time and work on your part. Things can get worse before getting better. If you hang in there you and work the process you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
    7yearsdungeon
    (female)

7yearsdungeon HB User

Thank you so much! Very appreciative of your support. I suppose you're right, I should probably work through my childhood demons and see how that helps.

Reply Reply

Tags
    abuse, anxiety, mental health