It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Why is my health so bad for my age??

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
    HoneyBee97
    (female)

HoneyBee97 HB User
    Why is my health so bad for my age??

I'm nearly 20, female and at university. I don't smoke, drink and try to sleep 8 hours per night. I exercise a lot, am not overweight and I avoid fatty/high salt and sugar foods and stock up on the healthy nibbles and fruit and veg, and I have a balanced diet. I am very health conscious, but compared to my friends I am not healthy at all.

For the past year, I've been more susceptible to the flu than ever before, I've had bad bouts of what felt like food poisoning even though my boyfriend's always eaten the exact same thing as me, I have hayfever (which, I mean, I can't really control that, it's in my genes), and for the past few weeks I've been getting a lot of dental and gum trouble - especially in my wisdom teeth which both got infected, and I'm on antibiotics but it's not really working... If they keep getting infected, I may have to get all 4 taken out, on top of the 4 I got pull out for braces a few years ago. I'm trying to practise good dental hygiene, which takes up a lot of time especially after meals and at night. I have random pains and aches, and I easily bruise and scar. There may be other problems too.

I don't understand, despite striving to be as healthy as I can for several years, I am still so unhealthy. I may be already stressed at uni, but these health problems stress me out even more. I don't really know what to do now... Any advice?

The following user gives a hug of support to HoneyBee97:
    movielover40 (04-25-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: Why is my health so bad for my age??

I hear what you're saying. It does sound as if you are "doing everything right" and for that it would be great to be rewarded with perfect health. I get it. I understand your disappointment but don't change what you're doing.
    Your wisdom teeth are going to keep getting infected unless you get them out. My advice is to have the top and bottom on the same side removed first. That way it gives you a "good side" to continue to chew on while you heal.
    If you haven't had a recent blood work panel, I suggest that too. It's important for us to know what's going on around our bodies.
    I know that you feel unhealthy, but count your blessings, honey. You could be a lot worse.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Do you get your flu shot every year? If not, you must! ALso, wash your hands often - every time you shake someone's hand, every time you eat, every time you use the bathroom. Watch out for those doorknobs too - full of germs. And you can do something about your allergies - medications and injections.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
    HoneyBee97
    (female)

HoneyBee97 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweetpotato13 View Post
    I hear what you're saying. It does sound as if you are "doing everything right" and for that it would be great to be rewarded with perfect health. I get it. I understand your disappointment but don't change what you're doing.
    Your wisdom teeth are going to keep getting infected unless you get them out. My advice is to have the top and bottom on the same side removed first. That way it gives you a "good side" to continue to chew on while you heal.
    If you haven't had a recent blood work panel, I suggest that too. It's important for us to know what's going on around our bodies.
    I know that you feel unhealthy, but count your blessings, honey. You could be a lot worse.
    I visited the dentist, and was told that my wisdom tooth thats causing the pain is too close to my nerves in my cheek, and that tooth extraction would be highly risky of causing nerve damage.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

That's very unfortunate, sorry to hear that. Certainly you don't want to rise a permanently numb cheek.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
    filusaz
    (female)

filusaz HB User

You might be encouraged and inspired to read Teddy Roosevelt's biography. He faced and overcame health problems at a young age. Best wishes.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Probably exposed to a lot more germs at the college.

Hang in there....

Old 04-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
    HoneyBee97
    (female)

HoneyBee97 HB User

I also now seem to have some UTI symptoms, but instead of pain it's some really strange tingly sensation near the end of peeing...

I've finished my antibiotics course and nothing has changed. Called up the dentist and they have a massive waiting list, hoping to get an emergency appointment but they told me I may have to start another course of stronger antibiotics. This isn't good...

I'm starting to feel like I should give up and just learn to live with this lowered level of health haha! >

Thanks for everyone's support!

Last edited by HoneyBee97; 04-26-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    dental, pain, stress, unhealthy