It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• MND or Stroke

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
    pulagamvenu
    (male)

pulagamvenu HB User
    MND or Stroke

Hi,

My grand father is aged 73 years. He is fine till last year but slowly he lost the ability to smell, unable to sense the taste of food, uncontrolled laugh, tears coming up and slowly now he lost ability to speak / couldn't speak. We consulted a couple of neurologists where few of them told that he had storke. Recently we have consulted another neurologist where he told like based on the symptoms it is a MND.

I would like to know the difference between MND and Brain Stroke and what is the exact issue in my grand fathers case.

Below is the medical history of my grand father.
    1. Had CABG (Heart Bypass Surgery) 2.5 years back
    2. Lost ability smell from last 1 year
    3. Unable to sense few tastes for last 6 months
    4. Difficulty in eating and swallowing the food and drinking water for last 2 months
    5. Uncontrolled laugh and tears from last 6 months
    6. Unable to speak for last 2 months.
    7. Had sleep disturbances for last two months. however controlled post medications.

Below is the impression identified in the CITI scan

1. MILD ISCHEMIC CHANGES IN BILATERAL PERIVENTRICULAR REGION, CENTRUM SEMIOVALE AND HIGH FRONTOPARIETAL WHITE MATTER, SECONDARY TO SMALL VESSEL DISEASE.
    2. DIFFUSE AGE RELATED CEREBRAL ATROPHY
    3. NO OBVIOUS ABNORMALITY SEEN IN THE VISUALIZED SECTION OF NASOPHARYNX.

Thanks & Regards,
    Venugopal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: MND or Stroke

Im not sure anyone can tell you if it was a stroke or MND except for a neurologist who has the pictures (MRIs) of his brain to look at.

Motor Neuron Disease can be separated into many different types..ALS is only one of them but there are many different forms.

A stroke is when blood flow to the brain is interrupted...this is clearly seen on MRIs. MND is never quite as clear and is diagnosed by symptoms.

At your grandfathers age, a stroke is more likely...unless he has had other random symptoms prior to this....with MND, life expectancy is much shorter depending on which type of MND he could have.

You would have to ask the doctor who suspected MND what he is basing his dx on, and why he doesnt think it was a stroke...of course the two are NOT exclusive. You can have a stroke and also have MND.

Reply Reply

Tags
    als, mnd, stroke