It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• ANA screen positive .. .but <40 titer ...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
    sarucha
    (female)

sarucha HB User
    ANA screen positive .. .but <40 titer ...

Hello - first time here...sorry for long post and thank you for the replies!

I just got ANA Direct Screen result as "strong positive", but TITER/PATTER was <40. They also tested for Cardiolipin Antibody IgA, IgG and IgM and that all come within normal range, also the LUPUS ANTICOAGULANT came negative. The Thyroid TSH test also within normal range.

So, I can't understand why I got a "strong positive" ANA Direct Screen, but titer is <40, and everything else seems normal. I do have a deficiency in vitamin D and I think low on B12...could this be triggering the positive ANA screen?

The reason for these test is because I suffered 2 miscarriages, and I want to get pregnant again (and hopefully not have any more miscarriages..as it is very heartbreaking). Thus, my doctor sent these exams to be done.

He called me and said that the ANA results were "non-specific" and that I can take a baby Tylenol next time I want to become pregnant.

Is there anything I should be worry about? Why did I get a positive ANA if all other results are negative or within normal range?

I have an apt with a rheumatologist but it is not until 1 month from now!

Thank you!!!
    Sarucha

Last edited by sarucha; 06-08-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: ANA screen positive...but <40 titer...

What was your TSH result and its reference range?

If it was higher than 1.5, you should insist on tests for TPO and Tg antibodies. Positive TPO Abs are often responsible for miscarriage/preterm delivery, even in the context of otherwise "normal" thyroid function.
    The presence of specific thyroid antibodies could also cause a weakly positive ANA.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    sarucha (06-09-2017)
    Old 06-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
    sarucha
    (female)

sarucha HB User

Hi Midwest1 - Thank you SO much for your reply, I truly appreciate it! 

I checked and my TSH level is 2.13 (with a range of .45-5.33iIU/ml), so definitely higher than the 1.5 you mentioned. Also, I checked my Free T4 (Free Thyroxine) test and that came at .84 (with a range of .58-1.64ng/dL).

Could this be a sign of hypothyroidism, maybe not easily detected based on my “normal” range test results…

I was reading about taking selenium to help decrease the TSH…I guess it does not hurt to try! If you have any other recommendations, please let me know! I am up to hear and explore any solutions that could help me keep my next baby…

My mom suffered from thyroid problems, thus I would not be surprise!

Thank you again!!!
    Sarucha

Old 06-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, Sarucha. Hope you're still out there.

Since you mention your mom's thyroid problems, it's more strongly likely that you have a problem, too. Autoimmune dysfunction is the most common cause of thyroid disease, and it's a familial problem.

You definitely need tests for those specific thyroid antibodies... TPO and Tg. Negative results don't rule out hypothyroidism, however, because the tests do have about 20% false-negativity. If your anti-TPO is even weakly positive - meaning higher than 5 but still within range - it could explain a lot about the reason you can't stay pregnant.
    If you have a high titer of anti-TPO, a steady supply of selenium, either from diet or supplementation, can help reduce it. Be careful of overdoing it; too much is toxic. Supplementing with up to 200 mcg a day is probably fine.

Nothing has an effect on TSH, however, except changes in the free T4 and free T3 levels. TSH is only a "messenger" hormone and has no direct impact on thyroid health. You can get a better sense of that from the book Thyroid for Dummies, which I would encourage you to read.

Your TSH is higher and your free T4 lower than the averages for healthy people. The low-normal FT4 also can explain pregnancy problems. Chapter 11 of Living Well with Hypothyroidism explains the impact of hypothyroidism and inoptimal hormone levels on fertility and pregnancy, if you care to read it.

Start reading so you'll be able to advocate for yourself. If your current doctors aren't aware of how thyroid disease impacts reproduction, or indeed can't even recognize what "optimal" thyroid levels are... You may be doomed to repeated disappointment and ill health. Medical ignorance on the subject is much more widespread than you'd think.

Wishing you the best!

Reply Reply