It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Questions about lab results.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #1
    CindyL
    (female)

CindyL HB User
    Unhappy Questions about lab results.

I am new to posting on this board and am hoping to get member ideas and thoughts on what might be going on. I am female and 64 years old with symptoms of what I think are hypothyroid. I recently went to my Dr. with these complaints and she ordered lab work. The thyroid tests that were abnormal were: the Thyroglobulin which was high, a TSH which was on the high normal side, and a T3 which was at the lowest normal level. I also had a high Ferritin level and positive ANA.
    My Dr. sent me to a Rheumatologist who ruled out any connective tissue disease.
    I've asked her again to send me to an Endocrinologist.
    The other key to this is my sister was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
    I've been reading about others with lab results that were borderline upon diagnosis, but non-the less were diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Anyone out there have experience in my situation?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2017, 07:43 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Questions about lab results.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
    I am new to posting on this board and am hoping to get member ideas and thoughts on what might be going on. I am female and 64 years old with symptoms of what I think are hypothyroid. I recently went to my Dr. with these complaints and she ordered lab work. The thyroid tests that were abnormal were: the Thyroglobulin which was high, a TSH which was on the high normal side, and a T3 which was at the lowest normal level. I also had a high Ferritin level and positive ANA.
    My Dr. sent me to a Rheumatologist who ruled out any connective tissue disease.
    I've asked her again to send me to an Endocrinologist.
    The other key to this is my sister was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
    I've been reading about others with lab results that were borderline upon diagnosis, but non-the less were diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Anyone out there have experience in my situation?
    Cindy, welcome to the board! A positive ANA often occurs in Hashimoto disease (autoimmune thyroid disease), and you need to have two antibody tests - anti TPO and anti TG. These tests will show if your thyroid gland is being destroyed by antibodies and will get worse with time. Borderline hormone levels can be treated to relieve symptoms and supplement what your underactive gland is producing. Hope you feel better soon.

Reply Reply

Tags
    need advice