It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Drug Testing at PCP Office.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
    hunter73
    (male)

hunter73 HB User
    Drug Testing at PCP Office.

I have been prescribed Xanax for maybe a year or so. Told my Dr. how I felt sometimes..Anxious, edgy, nervous..and that I had had Xanax before and they made me feel relaxed, good. Wrote me a script. Continued to for close to a year.

I get a call from my Dr.s office not long after a visit and blood work was done I think...Anyway, figured something was not right. I called them back within a couple hours. Nurse tells me I was randomly picked for a urine screen and pill count. I was floored. I'm self employed and have been since I was 22. I have bought my own health insurance since then.

I told her what is or isn't in my urine is no ones business. If my Doc wanted to know, he could ask me. She said I was picked random by the State. That's part of my question. Told her I had yet to take a drug test and would't be submitting/laying down/ whatever for whoever. Told her I had no problem bringing my script in to show I'm not selling the damn things. Nurse told me Doc COULD'NT write my prescription anymore if I refused the drug test. I said fine and hung up. Sorry for all the background, but I think it's all relevant to my questions.

Was the nurse telling the truth that he couldn't write script anymore and that it wasn't them but a random pick from the state?

I see this as one more way to gather information they have no right knowing. I need that prescription. I pay my own way and then some. Have for years. I'm a big boy. I'm 44. My Dr. said many times over that he agreed and "I need those Xanax." Does this type of BS behavior not break the "Do no harm" oath?

Lastly, I moved to a new physician and she can't write me a prescription for Xanax or Ambien either, until I bow to the will of The State. Also, I have a terrible case of White Coat Hypertension so just hate going to Dr.s anyway. I take 30 mg daily of Lexapro as well. Only reason I ever committed to seeing a Dr. to begin with was to get a prescription for Xanax. I'm just......anxious. I may well forego the Dr.s office as I did for probably a ten year stretch previous. I'm of the age things start going wrong. Preventative medicine comes in handy at my age. Anyone with a bad case of WCH knows what I'm talking about too.

Someone, anyone, PLEASE enlighten me.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-02-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Drug Testing at PCP Office.

They aren't picking on you specifically. Your doctor is complying with the state Prescription Monitoring Program guidelines.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-02-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
    hunter73
    (male)

hunter73 HB User

OK. That answers one question.
    I understand it's not just me. I get it, I just don't get it.
    The real question here is WHY is a state dictating what prescription he/she can or cannot write to me? I'm sorry, but I fail to see where that is not an invasion of my privacy. An unlawful search and seizure.

I just read a lengthy article on another site. Journal postings and whatnot. In this article/journal the authors speak as though they too are entitled to know everything about us. When were physicians made god? Are physicians now the drug police for the state in which they work?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Thank you, @midwest1 for your thoughts.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-02-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: I can't shut up.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Many states have the same law and you can thank the last administration Federally for putting this law out there.

Unfortunately, the doctors I know do not like it anymore than their patients do; however to keep their controlled substance license and to be able to prescribe controlled substances, they MUST comply with this law. If they dont, they cannot write prescriptions.

For many patients such as yourself who are doing nothing wrong, it is an inconvenience, but should not present a problem if you are doing nothing wrong. For other patients, this is the reason for the epidemic of uncontrolled substance abuse in this country. In order to get a handle on the amount of drug abuse in this country, the doctors are now being held responsible for what they prescribe and who they prescribe it to.

You don't have to like it or agree with it, but if you want your script, do yourself a favor and get the screening done. They are looking for nothing except the level of the drug in your system and they are dong a pill count to be 100% certain that whatever number of pills prescribed each day, you are neither abusing that (taking more) or selling/ giving away your controlled substance.

Sorry, I dont love the law either, but I do respect it as many people I know are pill seekers and will do anything to get a prescription - only to sell the pills or take more than the prescribed number. You seem to legitimately need this prescription, just do as the law requires and don't blame the doctor or his staff as it is not their choice to "pick on you" or "single you out".

Last edited by MSNik; 09-02-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety disorder, drug test, primary care physicians, white coat hypertension