It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Sudden Lump in armpit

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
    Ler7
    (male)

Ler7 HB User
    Sudden Lump in armpit

I went to put on my deodorant yesterday morning and in the mirror I noticed that my lower, right armpit's skin was a bit red. I looked a bit closer in the past because once in a blue moon my skin gets flare ups due to deodorant use. This time though it was clear that there was some swelling in the slightly red area. When I touched it, there was a small, hard lump under the skin. The lump is essentially painless, but the skin is a bit red and there is a very mild soreness to the skin. Nothing major, but just enough sensation to know it's there. I don't know if the soreness is a result of me touching and rubbing the area wondering what the heck this is.
    It appeared seemingly overnight too. Like, I would've noticed this had it been there the previous day. So, seemingly out of nowhere, it appeared. My gut tells me that anything that pops up so fast is usually nothing "serious." In any case, I think it would be too early to rush to a doctor about this. Has anyone else experienced a similar lump like this that came on really fast?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Sudden Lump in armpit

Possibly an ingrown hair or slight infection on the surface or inflammation from rubbing caused by not rinsing thoroughly when showering or sensitivity to deodorant, sweating and/or rubbing against a garment, etc.

Did you change wash product lately? New shirt? Laundry products?

q

Old 11-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
    Ler7
    (male)

Ler7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Possibly an ingrown hair or slight infection on the surface or inflammation from rubbing caused by not rinsing thoroughly when showering or sensitivity to deodorant, sweating and/or rubbing against a garment, etc.

Did you change wash product lately? New shirt? Laundry products?

q
    I did stay at my in-laws a couple of nights where they washed my stuff and gave me some pajamas to wear. Maybe that? I don't think it's an ingrown hair as I haven't shaved recently.
    48 hours later and the redness has gone down somewhat, but the lump remains more or less the same size, but I know if it is cystic, it can take days/weeks to completely go away. Not sure if the redness going down is from me making a conscious effort to leave it a lone, but the surface level swelling is down from day one. Still too early to see a doctor about it I'm thinking.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Yes...some change in products can affect sensitivity in the armpit area.
    You could purchase a .5 or 1% hydrocortisone cream to apply around that area to see if it improves.

Give it another week and see if it changes. Keep an eye if it does go down. If you are due for a check-up, add it to a list and have it checked out.

Maybe change your deodorant for a bit to see if it makes a difference.

Keep us updated on how you are doing.

q

Old 11-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
    Ler7
    (male)

Ler7 HB User

Well, I'm 90% sure this thing is getting smaller. I say 90% because there is still a hard lump under the skin, but it does feel slightly smaller than before. I'd say yesterday was when I noticed the skin being a lot less red which is usually a positive sign. This morning I'd say it feels flatter with the hard lump being a bit smaller. Any changes appear to be very gradual.

I'll keep your advice in mind about products. Actually, the day before I noticed this thing I recall getting out of the shower, putting my deodorant on way too liberally thinking that it wasn't coming out of the bottle properly and then thinking to myself, ˙ou probably just put on way too much deodorant just then".

Old 11-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
    AprilG13

AprilG13 HB User

I used to get lumps like that, not just in my armpits but sometimes also on my back, chest, and neck. It was kind of like cystic acne, where it came and went. Like you, I'm really sensitive to various deodorants and other chemical products. I cleaned up my diet and switched to more natural personal care products and I don't get them anymore. Hopefully it will go away for you soon, too!

Old 11-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #7
    Ler7
    (male)

Ler7 HB User

So, 5 days later and almost all the skin level swelling has gone. The hard lump is still there though. It's not moveable which makes me think it's a lymph node. While still prominent, the lump is maybe ever so slightly smaller. Everything I've read about swollen lymph nodes says that they are typically slow to decrease in size typically taking 2-4 weeks to return to normal. Anyway, I'm taking the fact that the skin around it has almost returned to normal as a positive sign. Changes in the lump are maybe ever so slight. It maybe very slowly getting smaller.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:28 AM   #8
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Good to hear.....obviously, you are keeping vigilent of it. Have you checked both armpits and around into the breast to make sure there are no other lumps or discomfort?

q

Old 11-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #9
    Ler7
    (male)

Ler7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Good to hear.....obviously, you are keeping vigilent of it. Have you checked both armpits and around into the breast to make sure there are no other lumps or discomfort?

q
    Well, I'm a dude so no breasts so to speak of, but I know what you mean. No other lumps anywhere. Checked all the other areas common to lymph nodes and nothing. I feel totally normal. Just all of a sudden, BOOM, bright sore lump under my armpit. As I mentioned, the redness and swelling of the overlying skin has almost completely gone now. There's just a little bit of pinkness left identifying where it is, but the hard lump, which is probably under a centimetre in size, doesn't feel as if it's changed much. It doesn't move with the skin and is painless. Dunno whether that's anything to be concerned about at this stage, but as the redness and swelling has gone right down, I'm assuming for now that the underlying lump should also be going down. I hope so. As I already mentioned though, common advice on swollen/hard lymph nodes is that they can take weeks to fully shrink down.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #10
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

All sounds good!

q

Reply Reply