It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Dysphagia Drama

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
    micahec
    (female)

micahec HB User
    Dysphagia Drama

Hi all--

I've never really posted on a forum like this before, so I hope this makes sense and doesn't come off as too crazy.

I am a nineteen-year-old female, and I've been having problems for a number of years with swallowing. It started when I was twelve during a period of stress. I had problems choking on foods I used to love. At first it was foods like spaghetti, or meatloaf, but gradually I became unable to eat even soft, liquidy foods. For about nine months I ate one soup-like food and that was it. Gradually the problem just went away on its own, and I ate plenty of things with little to no restricted diet.

And then I started college (another period of stress). At first I was fine, but about another six months in, and the problem returned in full force. I retreated to eating soup, the occasional cookie, and hummus. Lots and lots of hummus. Smoothies were a staple as well.

I saw doctor after doctor to no avail. They would stick a camera down my throat and say "Everything looks normal." But that didn't exactly help. Eventually doctor number 20 said, "You realize your tonsils are infected, right?" I said no, no one had ever told me that. And he said he could remove them, so that happened.

And again, after that, everything seemed fine. I ate not exactly normally, but I gradually began to consume meat, some vegetables, and other great foods. And then, a few months later, it all came crashing down. It's been about six months with a restricted diet, and I just don't know what to do. My diet consists of about five foods: hummus, soup, banana smoothies, chocolate protein powders, and peanut butter (in moderation, though; the peanut butter chokes me if I eat too much). I have been seeing a swallowing therapist, and she's been very helpful, but really thinks a lot of this is in my head. Meaning that she did a barium swallow and everything looked perfectly normal. And yet, I'm still experiencing this lump-in-the-throat, difficulty swallowing feeling.

As you can imagine, having this problem comes with several (somewhat demeaning) side-effects. I don't enjoy going out to eat. I have a hard time explaining to people why I don't want to eat with them. I've had to cancel study abroads over this weird, bizarre thing. I'm not sure what to do. The swallowing therapist is convinced I have oral hypersensitivity, but even she says that's usually diagnosed in young children, not nineteen-year-old women. I don't know what to do. Do I accept her hypothesis? Do I continue to tax my medical insurance and the patience of my family by seeking out new doctors? My family does have a history of thyroid issues, so should I look into that?

I'm not sure. As you can imagine, I have limited funds and am, by nature, not a very assertive person. What would you suggest? Could I have a throat/thyroid problem undetected by the barium swallow? Is it most likely an anxiety problem? The pain is, at times, very intense, but I'm still here and functioning, so that's good.

Any and all advice and guidance would be welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
    fizziy912
    (female)

fizziy912 HB User
    Re: Dysphagia Drama

I have the same things it started when I was twelve and its still happening now they put a camera down my throat and they said it was normal so I just roll with it because there isnt anything my docor can do.

Reply Reply