It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Constant Tiredness ... Why??

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
    gary9
    (male)

gary9 HB User
    Question Constant Tiredness ... Why??

Back in early 2011 my chronic back pain became severe enough to impact my sleep and over a 6 month period I was getting a lot less sleep and beginning to develop depression and anxiety as a result of my increasing lack of sleep. I was averaging about 3hrs sleep per night and would normally be awake for hours in pain and discomfort and zopiclone was only a temporary fix for the lack of sleep at the time, otherwise nothing helped. This became less frequent later that year and eventually my back stopped keeping me awake at night altogether a few years ago but the issue Iíve been facing for years now is that during the day Iím always tired to varying levels. My body feels normal enough and so do my eyes and it does feel different to the normal type of tiredness one gets from having too many late nights, but often the issue is that Iíll feel an overwhelming urge to have a few or many knaps throughout the day which has proven very disruptive in all areas of my life and has slowly worsened over the last 7yrs it has been going on for. My interest in so many things has depreciated because I struggle to stay focused on them, I canít really get up before 8am (and even that is really difficult), Iím very lazy and I yawn all the time. One annoying thing is that some of the time I find myself a lot less tired in the late evening (causing me to go to bed as late as 2:30am) but on other occasions I canít stay awake past midnight and yet come 8 or 9am Iím still struggling to get up and itís no easier during the day when I have these knaps because the urge is overwhelming and before I know it 10mins becomes an hour or more. My diet has improved a lot, I go to the gym 5-6 days per week and when itís time for bed I fall asleep within about 10-15mins and may wake up once during the night. This problem does to a degree have a physical feeling in the form of a gentle tingly feeling in my head or simply an urge to close my eyes. Once upon a time I could relax on my bed and listen to music or do a whole load of other things, but now I end up closing my eyes and partially nodding off through them, thereís nowhere I canít partially fall asleep and there has never been a day where I havenít felt tired for some of the day. Iím lucky now in that I have a flexible job that allows me to start late (as I got sacked from a few in the first few years because I struggled with punctuality), I used to be a very attentive early bird but now Iím a lazy night owl whoís mostly late for things because Iíll have had a knap beforehand and lost track of time. So many things in my life have been put on hold because of this and its affected my personality massively. In the form of treatment Iím currently undergoing tests with the NHS sleep clinic and am at stage 2 whereby I had the second most sophisticated sleep monitor to monitor my sleep at night (the first showed no abnormalities). Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Constant Tiredness......Why??

Hi there. There are quite a few things which come to mind. It is great that you are having sleep studies done; because that is definitely a place to start!

There are other things which could be happening if this is not the case. First of all, have you had a good physical? Vitamin deficiencies can cause you to feel the way you feel... you need a total blood panel run specifically looking for things like this. You should also have a look at autoimmune diseases- lupus, Multiple Sclerosis and a few others can make you very sleepy during the day and throw off your internal clock..

Also Mono and some other blood diseases should be ruled out- Mono makes you seriously exhausted all of the time.

Lastly, this could be psychological. You have allowed yourself to fall into this pattern for so many years due to your injuries years ago, that you may have to retrain yourself to get to bed earlier and get up earlier. You could try doing this on your own simply by forcing yourself to bed 15 minutes earlier every 3 days....and that means getting up 15 minutes earlier too.
    Make sure you are not eating, drinking any caffeine or even working out after the 6 pm- these things can keep us awake! Really watch that you are not taking in caffeine....thats a big one! When I work out after 6 pm, it screws up my whole sleep schedule- I find that I have to work out and be done by 5 pm or first thing in the morning or else I cannot fall asleep.

I hope you get your answers...my ideas are just that- ideas. If the sleep study shows nothing, please see a general physician to rule out blood work/ mono and anything else.

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Constant Tiredness ... Why??

Many of your symptoms are suggestive of obstructive sleep apnea. It causes sleep disruption nightly and therefore daytime tiredness and need for naps. The sleep clinic should be able to sort this out with proper testing. The resultant symptoms of sleep apnea include high blood pressure, weight gain, depression, and excessive daytime sleepiness. It can also even cause diabetes and heart disease, so worth checking out for treatment and prevention. Be sure to check your thyroid levels on blood tests to make sure your thyroid gland is functioning well, which affects your mood, energy level, and sleep patterns. Low thyroid levels are common and easily treated, making a huge difference in energy level and overall health and mental health. Let us know what you fin and good luck with finding answers and relief of symptoms.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    gary9 (04-06-2018)
    Old 04-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
    gary9
    (male)

gary9 HB User
    Re: Constant Tiredness ... Why??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Lastly, this could be psychological. You have allowed yourself to fall into this pattern for so many years due to your injuries years ago, that you may have to retrain yourself to get to bed earlier and get up earlier. You could try doing this on your own simply by forcing yourself to bed 15 minutes earlier every 3 days....and that means getting up 15 minutes earlier too.
    Make sure you are not eating, drinking any caffeine or even working out after the 6 pm- these things can keep us awake! Really watch that you are not taking in caffeine....thats a big one! When I work out after 6 pm, it screws up my whole sleep schedule- I find that I have to work out and be done by 5 pm or first thing in the morning or else I cannot fall asleep.
    Typically I go to bed around 1, wake up around 7 and then go back to sleep until about 8. The only reason I'm somewhat reluctant to go to bed earlier (though I will try 12 instead) is because I'm worried I'll lose more time during the day. I don't think it'd be a vitamin deficiency as I eat a vitimin rich powdered meal replacement and still use multi-vit supplements. The thyroid I'm not sure if I've already been tested for and the others is perhaps something they'll consider or I can inquire about further down the line.

Reply Reply