It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Confused and scared

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #1
    Webpression
    (female)

Webpression HB User
    Confused and scared

Hi everyone:

I have been sick for 8 months now. I hope somebody out there will have the patience to read this.

1. I got shingles first

2. At the same time I had a couple of nosebleeds that lasted over 4 hours.

3. Of course I then became anemic

4. After shingles cleared, I got the painful complication afterwards and still have it.

5. Also a blood test showed that I have hypothyroidism and I've been trying to get the right dosage now for 5 months.

When I first became sick I was very out of breath almost all the time. It was so bad, when I took a shower I wasn't sure I could finish I was having such a hard time breathing. Did the anemia contribute to this, I don't know, but as I got healthier I wasn't so out of breath, although it hasn't gone away completely.

Lately I'm out of breath mainly in the morning. I have almost no problem with this in the afternoon or evening and this is what has me so confused. I mean, if it is COPD wouldn't it always bother me? I was prescribed Synthroid about 5 months ago, but 3 times the dosage was lowered. I just got my dose increased about 3 weeks ago and am wondering if it is finally the right dose and maybe that is why I am starting to feel better.

Could I be starting COPD or could this breathing trouble be generated by the thyroid problem? I have read a lot on this board about breathing problems with hypothyroidism, but no one mentions needing medication for this. Is an inhaler required, or do we just wait until the right thyroid meds kick in to solve this dilemma. I am a 72 year old female and I did smoke for many years but quit almost a year ago, not that that will change anything. I do realize that if my lungs were damaged, there is no cure, and I must now pay for all those years of smoking. No freebies, right?

It has just been a rather difficult time for me lately and I'm hoping someone can offer an opinion or suggestion about what's happening to me.

Thank you so much for your interest.

Webpressed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Confused and scared

Hi Webpression,

1. Shingles is usually triggered by stress, so to keep it from coming back, try to avoid stressful situations.

2. Nosebleeds: Are you taking a blood thinner? Or, are you taking fish oil? Fish oil will thin your blood and prolong bleeding.

3. Anemia: Are you eating a healthy diet? Try eating more dark leafy greens, with 100% whole grain pasta and beans.

4. ?

5. Thyroid issues: Could it be that the dosage needs to be changed as your diet changes? I have had different scores on my blood tests because I changed my diet. It was mostly iodine that affected my score. Whenever I made it a point to eat foods that contain iodine, my test results showed I was not hypothyroid. When I consumed less iodine, I was hypothyroid. Most iodine comes from seafood and iodized salt. (Your thyroid cannot produce thyroxin without sufficient dietary intake of iodine.) This is something you might want to talk to your doctor about, although my doctor was not helpful in this regard.

Why is it easier to breath in the afternoon and evening? The first thing I thought of is that the natural thing for everyone is that blood pressure usually goes up gradually as the day progresses. Could it be that your lungs are just functioning better as your blood pressure increases? It's just a thought - you might want to ask your doctor about it.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-18-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
    Webpression
    (female)

Webpression HB User

Hi JohnR41 and thank you for replying to my post.

Yes shingles usually comes with stress but trying to avoid it is a full time job. I am hoping to get the vaccine soon but I'm wondering if I need to get a little healthier first. And does anyone know if I can get it while I still have post herpetic neuralgia?

I am not taking any blood thinners but I'm wondering if the thyroid problem could have caused the nosebleeds because the doctor said my nose was extremely dry.

And I do believe I became anemic because of the blood loss from the nosebleeds. Thankfully I have not had any more nosebleeds.

Item #4 was referring to post herpetic neuralgia which some people get after shingles and can be very painful. I have had this for 7 months now and it really is quite painful. I thought I got a handle on it and was doing pretty good for a while, but the pain seems to have gotten stronger in the last week. Does anyone know if this happens normally? Does the pain increase and decrease at different times? And this is why I'm questioning if this is the right time to get the shingles vaccine.

That is interesting about iodine affect thyroid levels. Do you have to have consumed iodine very closely to the time of getting a blood test? I will definitely mention this to my doctor.

Along with the blood pressure increasing possibly affecting my breathing. That is very interesting. I never thought of that but I will definitely give it more research.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to me.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I can tell you a little more about my thyroid experience: My diet is a lot different than most others because about 99% of what I eat is vegan. Most dietary iodine, for most people, comes from eating seafood and using iodized salt. Being a vegan, I wasn't eating any seafood. Also, I wasn't using iodized salt because I switched to a brand called Real Salt.

When I got the result of my first ever TSH test, my score was around 8 and my doctor said it was too high. He said he would schedule another test in 3 months just to make sure. At that point I asked him if there could be anything I could do with my diet to bring my number down. He said, "no, it doesn't have anything to do with your diet, it's just something that happens to people as they get older."

But I had doubts about what he said so I went to my local library to do some research. To my surprise there was a lot I could do so I started changing my diet gradually. One thing I learned is that eating raw cruciferous vegetables will block the absorption of iodine. Or even perhaps eating too large a volume of cooked cruciferous vegetables. It's a long story so it might be best if you do some research yourself. Just do research on foods that are good for thyroid health and foods to avoid.

Anyway, the score of my next TSH was around 4.5 and he said he wouldn't have to prescribe any medication. I tried eating different foods over the following years and now I have decided to take an iodine supplement.

In the U.S., the vast majority of medical doctors are trained to diagnose and prescribe medication. Most doctors are not nutritionists or dietitians. And they don't have the time or training to get into the nuts and bolts of what you should or shouldn't eat. It may help to remember that so you won't be too disappointed if you don't get much help from your doctor.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-20-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
    Webpression
    (female)

Webpression HB User

Hello again JohnR41:

I totally understand what you're saying and that's my biggest complaint with doctors - that they only want to medicate people. I keep telling my doctor that I don't want ANY medication unless I absolutely need it.

You certainly did your due diligence and I thank you for this information, I will definitely look into foods that could help keep a thyroid healthy. I don't care what any doctor says, I'm sure there are always other things we can do beside taking medications, whether through exercise or diet. I don't understand why people are not more concerned about the effects of prescribed drugs they are ingesting.

It sounds like you've been fighting this battle for a while and I sure hope you're doing well now.

Thank you again for all this info.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Webpression,

Twenty years ago it was difficult to find thyroid savvy medical doctors. Not so much these days (read my story on some of my other posts). The thyroid level can be imbalanced due to other than the foods that we do or don't eat.

Naturopaths understand thyroid issues. My TSH has to be suppressed to below 2 or I have severe hypothyroid symptoms. Usually hypothyroid cannot be remedied by only diet changes, unless that includes supplementing thyroid hormones.

Diet itself is just one thing that might be affecting the thyroid level, esp. if one consumes calcium too soon after taking the supplemental thyroid hormone.

Last edited by yayagirl; 09-20-2018 at 12:23 AM.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
    Webpression
    (female)

Webpression HB User

Hi YaYagirl and thank you for the reply.

Sorry to hear you've had severe symptoms. Could you elaborate on them just so we newbies can know what to look for? Thanks.

I would like to read other posts by you but I don't know how to find them. Could you explain how to do that?

We certainly need to do our homework about hypothyroidism don't we? It seems this runs in my family as other members have it and take Synthroid also. Actually my sister takes synthroid but consumes milk right after taking her pill and she has no symptoms at all. Weird, huh? On the other hand, I make sure to take my pill on an empty stomach and stay away from dairy, and still I am the one who is out of breath, suffers fatigue, and is cold almost all the time. I hope all this straightens out soon.

Thanks for your concern.

Reply Reply