It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Anal manometry for IBS?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2018, 05:11 AM   #1
    Aryan111
    (male)

Aryan111 HB User
    Anal manometry for IBS?

I am 27 years old male. I have been suffering from digestion related issues since last 3 years. I think it all started when I used to do job. My lifestyle had changed a lot at that time. Sometimes I used to skip breakfast & snacks; sometimes I used to have lunch at 12:00 PM & sometimes at 4:00 PM (same goes for dinner), didnít do exercise at all. Didnít have any schedule for sleep as well. Huge workload was there & so was stress, life had become too hectic at that time. I started experiencing some symptoms related to digestion issues at that time. Now I mostly work on laptop from my home (highly inactive lifestyle).

Some of the symptoms I currently suffer from:
    1. I donít feel fresh & energetic when I wake up even though I sleep for 8+ hours.

2. I have to go to the loo at least 3 times a day & sometimes even after passing stools for 3-4 times in the morning itself, I donít get the feeling of completion. It feels like I empty the bowels in parts (I mean it doesnít get emptied in single attempt). Usually third time onwards, I have to sit for long as I donít get pressure to empty the bowels. Sometimes I have to put pressure to get the stools passed or defecation happens on its own after sitting for long time.

3. The stool is mushy almost all the times. As far as I know mushy stool suggests mild diarrhoea & I think because of this dehydration happens which makes me feel exhausted (tired & sluggish). I have to sleep then as I donít feel fresh & canít concentrate on work. It takes me around 4 hours to get ready to kick start the day.

4. I get to see small amount of bright red blood stuck to the stool sometimes.

5. A lot of belching happens when I do simple exercise like warm up.

6. I have to go to the loo when I wake up if I sleep after lunch in afternoon.

7. I mostly feel full in the evening time even if I havenít eaten/drunk anything or eat/drink only in small amounts. So I mostly skip snacks.

8. Have got 2 attacks of severe abdominal pain in the lower left abdomen till now.

9. Mouth sores (mild)

10. I feel hungry & the food consumed gets digested properly when I am travelling or am outdoors.

I consulted with a gastroenterologist recently, got colonoscopy done, small patches of ulcerations were seen, got biopsy done & it was concluded that it is infectious colitis. He prescribed me some anti-biotics & probiotics for a period of two weeks. He said that I might be suffering from IBS before colitis & guessed that depression or my too much thinking might be the reason behind my bowels not getting emptied properly. So he prescribed me an anti-depressant.

I have got following tests done till now:
    CBC, LFT, Creatinine, Vitamin B12 & D3, TSH, Fasting glucose & 3 stool r/m.
    There was a deficiency in Vitamin B12 & insufficiency in D3. The doctor prescribed me B12 injection of 2ml every day for 10 days & D3 tablet once in a week for 4 weeks.
    The 1st stool r/m showed presence of mucus, occult blood & RBC (1-2). Though it showed absence of blood (non-occult) & fat, I had observed blood to be there & faeces floating in the bowl several times.
    The 2nd & 3rd stool r/m showed no blood & mucus at all though I still get to see bright red blood stuck to the stool sometimes (I did the test after doing anti-biotics+probiotics course). It just showed the stool to be acidic to which the doctor said that it doesnít matter much.

The doctor has prescribed me to get anal manometry done now.

I would like to have your opinion on 3 things:
    I. Is it really IBS or something else?
    II. What could be the source of bleeding now; Ulcerations in the large intestine or something mild like Anal fissure
    III. Is there any need for anal manometry?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Anal manometry for IBS?

There is absolutely a need for the monometry. You need to find out what is causing this...

The vitamin deficiencies answer the question of why you feel so sluggish- both D and B12 being low can cause you to feel like you had no sleep, even when you slept 10 hours...the shots should help, but this will not happen overnight; it can take up to 6 months for your levels to get where they need to be.

IBS is kind of a catch all- the bleeding is probably not from a fissure, as those are easily seen by a doctor (and easily treated); therefore it is likely from ulcerations- the anal manometry will show more.

Get the tests done...you'll be glad you did; you want to rule out more serious illnesses as well.

Did the biospies come back from your colonoscopy? Did they take any samples?

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    Aryan111 (09-10-2018)
    Old 09-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
    Aryan111
    (male)

Aryan111 HB User
    Re: Anal manometry for IBS?

Thanks ma'am for such a detailed reply.

I feel like my bowels get emptied in parts. I mean it takes on an average 3 visits to the loo to feel that I have passed the stools completely & after each visit the quantity of the stool reduces (like 70% in first visit, 25% in second & 5% in third).

During colonoscopy the doctor removed a sample for biopsy. The doctor had already guessed it to be infectious colitis & the biopsy report confirmed the same.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-20-2018 at 11:17 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    colitis, ibd, ibs, infectious disease, manometry