It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Fatigue

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
    Joanb
    (female)

Joanb HB User
    Fatigue

I am just looking for answers or even someone that has ever experienced my symptoms.

for the past 20 years or so I have been experiencing these extreme spells of fatigue that can come and go in a matter of just hours or might last all day. I can be feeling great one minute and the next few minutes I'm laying on the couch and not worth two cents. A few hours later I might be out working in the yard. When I first started having these spells they were much worse than what they are now.

One of my doctors put me on so Zoloft and it seems to make the fatigue less. I'll have to say it must be helping because I have tried several times to wean myself off of it and I just do a nosedive and go right back to taking it.. my doctor said it was okay to continue to take it as long as I didn't have any side effects which I don't. I have no other symptoms no pain, just the fatigue.

it seems to be related somewhat to the seasons because it's worse in the spring and in the fall. Also when it comes on and lasts all day it seems to get better and I'm back to normal by early evening. When I'm feeling normal I have a lot of energy for someone my age, 80, and take care all my own yard work, have four dogs I take care of and do my own house work.

The only time I've been free of the fatigue spells was for a period of about 18 months when my husband died back in 2004 which seems really strange if it was depression. Once I recover from a fatigue spell I am right back to normal.

I'll probably never know what's wrong but I would just love to find someone else that has this strange fatigue that comes and goes. I can't imagine what it would be like to have chronic fatigue syndrome with all the other symptoms that come with it. Just thankful that mine's not all the time and knowing that I'll snap out of it keeps me going.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-06-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2019, 04:48 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Fatigue

I had the same thing happening for years until I was diagnosed with MS... fatigue is one of the major symptoms of multiple sclerosis. No one knows I have this disease unless they see me at my worst- which is when the fatigue takes over and I wind up dragging my foot..

Fatigue can also be from virus's and bacteria.. CMV- cytomeglia virus is very much like Mono- it knocks you out completely and can come and go if you have the virus in your body... have you ever been checked?

Old 04-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
    Joanb
    (female)

Joanb HB User

Thanks for your reply and no I have never been checked for anything really other than to check my thyroid levels because I am hypothyroid. Also had my cortisol levels checked and they were okay.

The strange thing is that I feel so good most of the time and the doctors don't seem to have a clue. I feel like if it was anything like MS I would be in a lot worse shape than I am since this has been going on for 20 years. I can go for weeks sometimes months without a problem and the fact that the fatigue comes and goes so quickly is very puzzling and also the fact that I have no other symptoms whatsoever.

Has your MS gotten any worse or does it stay about the same? I don't think there are many 80 year olds that have the stamina that I do when I'm feeling normal and sometimes when I have several days of the fatigue I think I'm kind of feeling normal until my energy returns and then I realize just how down I was. Sometimes I've tried to push through it but most of the time I just hit the couch until I regain my energy. I call it my stupid stuff because it seems to have no rhyme or reason and sometimes I feel like I'm a mental case except for the fact that this is just so physical.

I did look up the CMV but as with most things I have none of those symptoms.

Thanks again for your reply.
    I

Old 05-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
    louiset

louiset HB User

I'm so sorry you're having this

I have chronic fatigue, mine is due to Epstein Barr which I've had since 18 years old. The fatigue comes and goes but as the virus is always being suppressed by the immune system, my energy levels never went back to being the way they were before I caught the virus. So I sympathise with you totally, although it's not the same reason as my fatigue.

May I ask, do you eat enough in the day? Probably a stupid question, but it's important nonetheless. Do you eat enough carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, rice.

Also, perhaps you should have a full blood count? If you can, ask to check for vitamin b12, iron, vitamin d and thyroid. That will, at least, be a good starting point.

Wish you a speedy recovery! xxxxxxx

Old 05-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

you might want to get your vitamin D levels checked. Most of us are deficient because we just can't get enough from the sun, and/or diet.

Reply Reply