It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Vomiting on Day 4 of water fast?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #1
    MAVgirl
    (female)

MAVgirl HB User
    Vomiting on Day 4 of water fast?

Hi everyone,

So I tried to do an experiment with water fasting for detox benefits etc. My body has never been a stranger to ketosis for short periods of time (24-48 hours) but today I found myself violently ill after just trying to run low energy errands. I ended up breaking my fast with Gatorade and watermelon.

Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know why it happens? I have three children so I obviously can't "take it easy" during a fast, even though I had planned to do no strenuous exercise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Vomiting on Day 4 of water fast?

Dear MAVgirl,

Looking after three children (even one child) is 'strenuous exercise'.
    You need some healthy carbs. A fast is OK, but include some fresh fruit with it.
    Even looking after a sleeping baby requires quicker energy than the time it takes to use body stored fat.

Brain energy is normally from ingested starch or sugar. Body fat has to be broken down into ketones before they can get into the brain. During starvation (fasting) it takes some time for fat to get broken down to ketone bodies that can substitute for glucose.

To burn fat a healthier way to do that is shorter fasts, healthier food choices, plus regular aerobic exercise.
    It also is a very good example to the children.

You go, mom!

The following user gives a hug of support to yayagirl:
    MAVgirl (04-08-2019)
    The Following User Says Thank You to yayagirl For This Useful Post:
    MAVgirl (04-08-2019)
    Old 04-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
    MAVgirl
    (female)

MAVgirl HB User

Thanks yaygirl!! I felt like I had failed. I guess I just overdid it. I've had some watermelon and strawberries and feel a lot better. One of the signs that people say is not acceptable during a fast is violent vomiting so I called it quits (strangely, I had little to no hunger- just fatigue and then this nausea). Next time I'll do maybe a fruit and veggie fast I guess I'm more "aerobic" than I thought I was. I work with a very active German shepherd puppy and take care of the kids, plus I work three nights a week. Ah well, live and learn, right? Thanks so much for the advice ❤

Old 04-08-2019, 03:36 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

MAVgirl, can I just ask why you are fasting to begin with? Your body needs energy... your title says "day 4 of a water fast"....were you really on day 4 of not eating? If so, you have your answer.

The body is not made to fast for more than short periods of time, as in hours...it needs carbs to turn into energy and protein to support the body. If you fast for more than 24 hours you are depleting your body of necessary nutrients.

Is this a weight thing? If so, please talk to a doctor as fasting to lose weight is the most unhealthy way you can do it.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: MSNik
    MAVgirl (04-08-2019)
    The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    MAVgirl (04-08-2019)
    Old 04-08-2019, 03:46 AM   #5
    MAVgirl
    (female)

MAVgirl HB User

Hi MSNik, Yes, I really did go 4 days without eating anything at all (I did not do a dry fast, where you restrict water also- that sounds AWFUL). I recently found out that my thyroid has failed even further (TSH was way up in spite of being on Synthroid) and I thought perhaps that a detox fast might help to "reset" and rejuvenate things. I've never been overweight or concerned about weight, although fasting does cause weight loss. I had planned to slowly regain whatever weight was lost during the fast by gradually returning to healthy meals. I'm definitely not trying this again, as I detest vomiting and I wasn't expecting that side effect!! There are people who do extended fasts without violent wretching. I guess we live and learn. I'm currently bumping up my thyroid dose and am being rechecked in a few weeks- this was my own experiment (one that didn't go well, haha). Thanks for the input!!

Old 04-08-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

You're very welcome, MAVgirl.
    No, you were not failing!

Reply Reply

Tags
    fast, fasting, nausea and vomiting