It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Gerd

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
    Crablegs
    (female)

Crablegs HB User
    Gerd

I take Ranitidine and Sucralfate for reflux for a year now and two weeks ago I started feeling lightheaded, fuzzy head, weak, tingling in my fingers and extremely exhausted. Thought it would go away. Last week I ended up in the ER because it got more intense and the exhaustion to the point I felt like I would faint made me think something really bad was going on. They ran tests like I was having a heart attack and said I wasn't dying today. So I thought while I wait to see my doctor on thursday I would try and figure this out. I am wondering if my medicine is just starting to get to me. But as I tried to cut back on them, the reflux is coming back bad. So bad that I feel it in my breasts and I just had a normal mammogram so it isn't breast cancer. Anyone have these meds start acting up all of a sudden like you are overdosing on them? Or maybe something new is happening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Gerd

Have you had b vitamins checked? Some deficiencies can cause your symptoms.

What dosage of the ranitidine are you on?

Do you have ulcers? Maybe another med such as a PPI?
    q

Old 04-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
    Crablegs
    (female)

Crablegs HB User

Quincy, the ranitidine is 150 mg once a day. No ulcers but had gastritis last summer diagnosed after a endoscopy but the doctor kept me on the both meds since then. I should add my husband just died 6 weeks ago after a very long fight with cancer so my stress level has been high. I had been on Protonix for 10 years but stopped it 7 years ago and had been ok. No vitamin check yet. I see my GP on thursday and I feel like he is going to just say he doesn't know but then I can get sent back to my gastrologist again. Today I woke up ok and ate toast and an egg and was ok and then took the ranitdine at noon and sure enough 3 hours later I was hit with these crazy symptoms again. Had to lay down. Now I am terrified to eat anything. Maybe eat mashed potatoes and go to bed.

The following user gives a hug of support to Crablegs:
    quincy (04-17-2019)
    Old 04-17-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Crablegs,

Your age can have a lot to do with it. As we get older, medications don't get cleaned out as fast. So they tend to build up in your system. Anyway, in my opinion, most gerd medications are not intended to be taken long term. Obviously, these medications are not a cure, they just treat the symptoms.

I have found the best thing to do is avoid the things that cause acid reflux. Then you wouldn't need any medication. Common causes are: 1) eating too fast 2) overeating 3) certain types of foods. 4) foods that are too dry

For example: overeating spaghetti or pizza. Or fast eating of split pea soup that is too dry. I will no longer eat a big dish of spaghetti or pizza. It's just not a healthy way of eating.

In your case it may be different, so find out what those foods or conditions are and look for changes you can make to alleviate the problem. Maybe you will need to make a conscious effort to eat slower and eat smaller meals. Eat more salads rather than overeating lots of starchy foods. Eat more fresh fruit and vegetables. In my opinion, I doubt that gerd will ever happen by eating a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi Crablegs....my deepest condolences. I can only imagine the magnitude of your stress level.

When you see your GP tomorrow, insist on a full work-up to narrow down possible issues other than GERD and or gastritis. Have electrolytes, blood sugar, vitamin D, hormones, cortisol, etc checked.

While it's possible the meds could exacerbate how you're feeling, they can be experimented with.
    It's possible you have gastritis again. I recently did some reading on it because of my own symptoms and past diagnosis. Different kinds and causes...and not always visible on the scope.
    Do you have a copy of the biopsies from your last scope?

I'm going through the same thing with a different type of continual headache and weird light-headedness than what I usually have, and the only med change is me being on 20mg then 40mg nexium over the past 6 weeks. I had an upper scope with biopsies last week and won't get answers for a while yet. I do have small polyps...now added stress. I do want to change from the nexium, however. Hope I can last till then or change to another one and see if I improve.

What you could do is set up an appt with the GI anyway, but have the GP drive regarding other issues. Get copies of all your test results.

In the meantime, before you see your GI, you can experiment with the Ranitidine and possibly take it at bedtime...an hour after other medications you might be taking. See how yiu feel during the day....document when you start to feel symptoms, etc.

As well, consider that your symptoms can also be high anxiety considering what you've been and are going through. If you have mental health, grief counseling available, it would be helpful.
    I had panic attacks that caused extremity numbness starting in 1998. I had a health crisis and severe family crisis at that time, and thought it was from the meds. I did seek therapy, cognitive behavioural therapt and biofeedback....that was my lifesaver.

For now, do you have family and friend supports....to help you with things you may need?

Please let me know how your appt goes tomorrow.

q

Old 04-18-2019, 03:51 AM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Crablegs, my condolences to you.. Losing your husband could certainly trigger stress levels which WILL affect your digestion. My suggestion is to go back to your GI doctor asap- ask for a whole blood work up and talk to him (her) about your symptoms. There are many drugs available for Gerd on the market these days and it may be time to do a med check and possibly change your drug or dosage.

Please see the prescribing doctor as soon as you can. Your GP is going to send you there anyway, so call and get an appointment.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #7
    Crablegs
    (female)

Crablegs HB User

Hi Quincy thank you for your reply. I appreciate the time you spent helping me. I went to the GP today. My blood pressure was way up and he focused a lot on that and has raised my BP meds. But without any lab results or tests he is convinced my issues are indeed still GERD but also IBS. He has given me an RX for the IBS. I assumed IBS meant you had a lot of diarrhea but he says my symptoms of right breast pain is not caused by my breast but from inflammation and my stress level is up and what he is giving me will calm things down. I am not too sure about this IBS diagnosis but I guess two weeks to the meds won't kill me until I see him again and hopefully get into my gastro. But he said the lightheadedness is from my blood pressure, that kind of makes sense. I wish I had already called my gastro though.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
    Crablegs
    (female)

Crablegs HB User

Hi John, Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. You are very wise. Yes it is better to use these meds temporary and fix the problem. I should eat better and forever it seems I have needed to lose a few pounds and keep saying I will do it. I doesn't have to lose a lot but enough that it helps my GERD. I still think the ranitidine is a problem and hoping I can just get by with the Sucralfate now especially with another added RX and my blood pressure med being raised.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:10 PM   #9
    Crablegs
    (female)

Crablegs HB User

Hi MSNick. Thank you. The stress is what the doctor hit on too. I guess stress really is bad for you. I wish I had already made an appt with the gastro. I thought my GP would do blood tests today and have some answers right away but I have to go back to the lab next week for fasting blood tests. I trust my GP somewhat he is an ex navy doctor and really smart but I would feel better with a diagnosis after a test is done. Taking meds adds more stress to me and I tend to feel the side effects of meds.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:16 AM   #10
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Crablegs,

I am so sorry for your loss! That is a great deal of stress! It can take a long time to recover from those things! Has life settled down any, yet?

I don't know about you, but personally if I am the least upset my digestive system is affected. I was this way since I was born. I have tried everything from Tums or Rolaids to prescription drugs and they don't cure the problem. I have to change what and how I eat and let my body recover completely. Most of the time I can eat what I please, but this changes if I have any emotional upsets, and you have had a great deal of stress so I wonder if this is the source of your physical problems.

I have found that prescription medications for gastritis do not make it possible for me to eat as usual. In fact, that makes it worse for me. When gastritis flares I cannot take aspirin or eat spicy foods. I have to avoid butter, cheese milk eggs, wheat products, soy, peanuts beans rye, caffeine in coffee and tea, chocolate, fatty foods, tomatoes citrus onions garlic mint and potassium or my throat and digestive system are inflamed, making me choke and cough, and the headaches are terrible. And it causes pain in my throat and stomach and abdomen.

When gastritis flares I have to strictly change my diet at least until the inflammation has healed. There are benign foods that we can eat. I don't think mashed potatoes are in that group, esp not with butter. However, a baked potato without butter may be safe.

Have you tried taking digestive enzymes?

Hugs,

Old 04-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #11
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi crablegs....IBS doesn't cause inflammation, but gastritis does. IBS will change signals in the digestive tract causing a change in peristalsis, trapped gas, discomfort and debilitating pain.

With that diagnosis, what RX did he give you?

Fibre supplements and probiotics are good as well as some some changes in diet that you might recognise as creating discomfort.
    Note that discomfort can happen 6 - 48 hours after eating certain foods....but in saying that, site of the discomfort can give you an idea as well.
    So-called healthy foods suggested by many experts are not subjective. Many people and nutritionists suggest bananas for finicky digestive systems....im writhing in pain from gas, so I have them on rare occasion after a supper meal.

Our GI suggested to my husband that he try the low FODMAP...another suggestion for you.

If you try fibre supplements, start slow, and take them with a meal. I use Metamucil capsules (and generic forms), and started with one capsule with breakfast for a few days...then added one to supper for a few days....increased as such till I reached 6 with those 2 meals a day.

Probiotics, I suggest taking them at bedtime when your digestive tract is quieter. An enteric coated capsule is better.

Keep us updated on how you're doing!
    q

Old 04-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #12
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Have you had you been tested for low vitamin D as well as anemia. I had both of these and once I started the B12 injections and taking vitamin D., I saw a change in the tingling for the better. Was exhausted all t

Old 04-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #13
    Crablegs
    (female)

Crablegs HB User

Hi Quincy. He gave me Bentyl for the IBS. I haven't taken it yet though because he increased my blood pressure medicine and I am having awful side effects already. I figure once I get used to the increase, I would try the Bentyl. I will try the FODMAP. Thanks for that suggestion. Never heard of it but will definitely give it a try too.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #14
    Crablegs
    (female)

Crablegs HB User

Hi Yayagirl. Thank you. I am just trying to get used to doing everything by myself now with my husband. I also have two disabled children who he helped me with so now I have to take care of them alone too. I can do it I just have to get used to the new life. You sound like me. I am ok until something stressful happens and then I have to eat so careful until my system settles down. It is like a rollercoaster. Have not tried digestive enzymes, I will look that up. I am living on eggs, crackers and trying boiled chicken. Like you, I have to keep things very bland to fix whatever the stress did to me.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #15
    Crablegs
    (female)

Crablegs HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danabarb View Post
    Have you had you been tested for low vitamin D as well as anemia. I had both of these and once I started the B12 injections and taking vitamin D., I saw a change in the tingling for the better. Was exhausted all t

Hi Dana. I was tested for my hemoglobin in the ER but my GP has me going in for labs this Thursday and he mentioned a fasting for sugar and a long list of other things. I will ask if the vitamin D is on the list. I read somewhere about the B12 and being low on vitamin B that made you weak and the tingling. I was on Protonix for 10 years and I think that affects how you absorb it B. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply Reply