It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Desperate for help! Damaged by an unsafe medication

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
    Jn78
    (male)

Jn78 HB User
    Desperate for help! Damaged by an unsafe medication

Hi my name is John and I'm desperately looking for help after having been damaged by an unsafe medication which a quack Dr had me take. The medication is called BEG Spray and it's a nasal spray which contains Bactroban (0.2%), Gentamicin (0.5)%, and EDTA (1%). I was taking it because I had 2 different Drs diagnose me with something called CIRS (which is basically mold poisoning) and this was part of the treatment plan to treat it. The one Dr who was apparently certified to treat CIRS did a nasal swab and said I came back positive for a nasty staph colonization which we would treat with BEG Spray. I didn't realize at the time that mold poisoning isn't real and that he was a quack Dr.

Either way, I took the nasal spray as directed which is 3 sprays in each nostril 3x a day for a total of 2 months. I felt a burning sensation at first but the packet and Dr said that it's expected and it will go away. So then I kind of got used to it and I ended up finishing the entire treatment. I started to feel a lot worse health-wise while taking the medication, but I was convinced by my Dr that I had CIRS so I thought it was just my condition getting worse.

Towards the end of the BEG Spray treatment, I started to notice a sort of red and irritated rash/discoloration in between my eyebrows which is of course right where the nasal spray would first touch in my nasal passages. I also noticed that the veins around my temples were bulging out and they seemed to be like that every day without ever going back down. I then finished the medication shortly thereafter and I was assuming that the burning sensation would stop, but for the next couple of months it seemed to actually get worse and worse. It's been about 9 months now since I finished the BEG Spray and I still have extreme burning pain in my sinuses and throat and lungs and stomach (basically any place the medication touched), and the rashes are worse than ever. The veins around my temples are still bulged out everyday and I get bad headaches often.

I've been desperately searching for anybody who can help since then, but most the Drs I go to just say they don't know anything about BEG Spray and they can't help me. A Nurse Practitioner took a look into my nasal passages and ears and said that everything is super red and irritated and it looks just like the rashes/redness I have on my face. I also saw an ENT that said the burning sensation might be nerve damage because Gentamicin can potentially be neurotoxic. The more I look into the ingredients of BEG Spray now, the more I realize how dangerous it was to use it for the length of time that I did. BEG Spray hasn't been adequately tested for human use.

Strangely though a lot of the opinions I've received from people like pharmacists or poison control people or even some Drs lately have been that the medication shouldn't have caused any kind of permanent damage, so it must be some other underlying problem (like a strange allergic condition perhaps). And then I start to wonder if these quack Drs were right and I do have an underlying condition that's causing chronic inflammation.

Thank you for reading this post and please respond if you have any ideas or opinions or advice or anything you can think of really. Like I said I'm completely desperate. I'm 31 years old and should be out and enjoying life but all I can do everyday is lay in bed and writhe in pain. I'm certain that I have severe clinical depression at this point. I hate waking up because I know I'll have to deal with the pain and I can hardly stay asleep for more than 4-5 hrs because the pain will wake me up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Desperate for help! Damaged by an unsafe medication

Dear John,

I am not at all convinced that the medication is more unsafe than a great deal of other medications. Mold poisoning is a real health problem. Whether or not you had or have it, I can't know, of course. And there can be secondary health issues from just about any prescription.

I consider it a good idea to read up about the side effects of drugs before buying them to determine if we want to take that risk. And a liver that is compromised by alcohol or other substances can cause extraordinary sensitivity to mold or just about any toxin that can be in the air.

Mold infection is a real issue. You can read about mold infection here ~
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3920250/

and here ~
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/aspergillosis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20369623

That said, because of my compromised liver I am more sensitive to side effects of most substances and medications, so I can hardly use any of them without getting reactions. I can hardly tolerate typical antibiotics or food additives that most others can take without a problem!

For help to detoxify the body I recommend going to a Naturopath physician who has appropriate certification and training, of course. Not just whoever puts out a shingle. At least do some research on body detoxification.

In the USA, a lot of times health food stores have very knowledgeable folks that can give some directions on detoxification. Just ask at the store.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Mold poisoning is indeed a real illness. And it is treated with antibiotics. Sounds like what you need is a course of steroids to shut down your immune response. Oral steroids plus a nasal inhaler such as QNasl could help. Check with an immunologist(allergist NOT ENTdoc).

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    yayagirl (04-27-2019)
    Old 04-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Mold poisoning is very real and BEG spray is a standard treatment. Your doctor is NOT a quack.

There is no way to have known that you would have a reaction to it- and at this time, steroids and a treatment of antibiotics are probably what you need to reverse the inflammation and cure the illness.

Please let the doctor know what happened and if you insist on seeing another doctor you can- but your doctor did nothing wrong.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #5
    Jn78
    (male)

Jn78 HB User

Thanks so much for the responses guys. I'm honestly surprised to hear everyone saying mold poisoning is real. I've actually been convinced for years that my problems were due to mold poisoning that I got when I was staying at my dad's house. My dad's health began to decline at that same time as well and we were both exhibiting symptoms that seemed similar and consistent with mold poisoning. These symptoms never went away and only got worse over time.

After the bad reaction to the medication though, I started taking a more critical look at CIRS and mold poisoning.

I did tell my original Dr about the reaction and he said it might be because my immune system is weak due to mold poisoning. He said that it would get better once I do the treatment the right way. I'm very leery of him now and the next step in the treatment would be to go to a naturopath dentist. This dentist took a look at my cone CT and said that he sees sights of possible infection and he would remove my root canaled tooth and also dig into the other sites to clean out the bad bacteria. The quack watch people said I need to stay far away from these naturopath dentists though. They do pretty invasive surgery into the jawbone and it can be quite harmful.

Yes I have taken antibiotics and a steroid nasal spray and Benadryl since the reaction to the BEG Spray, and so far nothing seems to work. A Dr I saw thought it might be a sinus infection so we tried 2 different antibiotics which didn't help. I even tried an anti fungal called diflucan which didn't help either (in fact I think it may have done some slight damage to my liver). The Dr also gave me an intramuscular shot of a corticosteroid, but it didn't do anything.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-30-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You need to see an immunologist(that's what allergists study). Not an ENT. And you probably need allergy testing as well to help you determine which molds impact you the most. Normal testing in my region is for 10 different molds. I'm allergic to them all - so many and so much that one of my allergy shots is for molds only. Hope you get to the bottom of this. One other thing -do you use a Neti Pot or sinus rinse? That could help flush everything oout.

Reply Reply