It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Is this anxiety? Or what?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
    eleanors
    (female)

eleanors HB User
    Cool Is this anxiety? Or what?

hello!
    So I had a baby 8 weeks ago, before my baby I suffered with worry... the only way I can describe this is thinking about something bad happening and then being worried it may happen so avoiding doing it. It had always been manageable but now I have had my baby I notice there are situations where I feel worse and itís now effecting my life.

For an example... at the front of my house there are concrete stairs, when I was out walking with the baby in the pram I thought about what would happen if I took the baby out of the pram and tripped or fell walking up those concrete stairs and the thought literally will not leave my mind... now every time Iím out with the baby Iím thinking about carrying her back up those stairs and what if this happens... I literally imagine it in my head and cringe therefore Iím now avoiding going out with her???

Another example is imagining something bad happening to my partner which caused death ie a car crash or an accident?? Even though thereís nothing to suggest heís in danger or any reason to particularly worry I think about it so deep that it can bring tears to my eyes??

Iím wondering is this anxiety or is it just an overthought?? Is it worth seeing the gp???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Is this anxiety? Or what?

eleanors, it is definitely anxiety...but it may be brought on by your hormones. Before and after birth, your hormones are in overdrive..

You might want to talk to your OB about this...see if she can help you through it- I am not sure if you are breast feeding, but I wouldn't want to suggest anything that might hurt your new baby...your best bet is talking to your doctor. Start with your OB....

Congratulations on the birth!

Old 06-22-2019, 02:23 AM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Is this anxiety? Or what?

Dear eleanor,

I think it is both anxiety and overthought. For some of us it can take way longer than 8 weeks for the hormones to settle down. Pregnancy and childbirth hormone changes can wreak havoc in the mind. It can feel exactly like something is drastically amiss, but these emotions are very common for the after giving birth experience. I remember so well. For some of us it goes on longer than for others. Be patient with yourself, and also tell yourself the truth, that your body is still undergoing hormonal changes.

I think you are normal for the hormonal changes going on in your body. Try not to worry...have some good cries. Talking helps. Do you have anyone to trust these feelings with in person?

It is a huge responsibility and stress to be responsible for a baby. Hon, you seem like a responsible and normal mommy to me. I'm sure your doctor would affirm this.

Reply Reply