It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Constant Fatigue and Difficulty Thinking Clearly

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
    WallyM
    (male)

WallyM HB User
    Constant Fatigue and Difficulty Thinking Clearly

Since I was a teenager (I'm in my early 30's now), I've had issues with being extremely tired most of the time regardless of how much sleep I get. However it's different than just feeling like I need to take a nap or sit down. I have difficulty concentrating and thinking clearly ("brain fog" as some people call it), and I have a generally fuzzy train of thought. In addition, I have little motivation and I feel just generally worn out most of the time.

At my baseline level, I'm pretty exhausted all of the time, but from time to time (a few times a month), it will get especially bad. During these times, it will be extremely difficult come up with the words to say, sometimes even basic words won't come to me (I couldn't think of the word "calendar" for the life of me once), and I have trouble keeping a train of thought. If I'm trying to read or write, I find my self staring at the same sentence over and over for 10 minutes at a time, unable to get past it. It feels like the gears of my brain are just gummed up and my brain is struggling to get by. And I feel like, during these times, that the world around my is like a TV that's on in the background in which I'm catching every other word. And it's more than just a minor annoyance - it's a legitimately awful feeling that I have trouble describing. Strangely, there is a noticeable physical feeling that goes along with it. I feel generally heavy, especially in my head, plus my head feels somewhat tingly. The best way I can describe it is the "head swimming" feeling you get when someone wakes up in the middle of a deep nap - only that feeling is constant for hours or days. Every once in a while, I think that it's all in my head and that I'm being too hard on my self, but when it gets bad I remember how bad is actually is, and how much I want it to stop.

However every once in a while, I will feel "normal", where I'm not tired and I can think clearly. It's these times that I am able to fully understand how terrible I feel the majority of the time, since I am able to see how good things can be. I don't feel especially energetic or euphoric, but just normal, like I imagine most people feel most of the time. This feeling never seems to last very long - a day or two at most, an hour at the least - and then I sink back down to my baseline tired feeling.

I have had a bunch of bloodwork done and nothing has come back out of the ordinary. TSH, cortisol, iron, even Lyme was normal. I get decent exercise, and I eat generally OK. I don't drink any caffeine any more (that just made thigns worse) and don't consume much alcohol. Right now I take medicine for asthma, and I was just started on Wellbutrin to see if there is some depression component to this, but I'm only on day 3. Other than that, every doctor I've seen has basically said that there's nothing they can do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does this seem like someone that anyone else has been through?

On a side note, I took prednisone once for a week, and it was the only time I could remember that I constantly feel "normal". I wasn't hyper or strung out, but I just felt calm and focused. I'm not sure if that was because the prednisone fixed someone that was wrong, or if that's just a side effect of prednisone, but I figured I'd mention it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    brain fog, chronic fatigue syndrome, depression, fatigue