It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Gabapentin withdrawal

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
    teachmathjack
    (male)

teachmathjack HB User
    Angry Gabapentin withdrawal

Hello,
    I was taking 3600 mg of gabapentin daily for about a year for pain in my leg (painful leg moving toe). 6 months ago I stated getting a very fuzzy uncomfortable feeling in the back of my head accompanied with nausea and chills down my right leg. After several tests nothing was found. It was suggested that maybe the gabapentin was causing it. I weened off and about a week ago I am off completely. For the last 6 nights, I have woke up around 2 am and can NOT fall back asleep. I lay in bed until 6 am and get for work. I feel AWFUL not getting the proper sleep... I am teacher all day and I have young kids when I get home. Has anyone found they couldn't sleep after taking this drug?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Gabapentin withdrawal

Hi teachmathjack,

There's a melatonin sleep-gut connection. You need melatonin to get a good night's sleep and, under ideal conditions, your gut has about 400 times more melatonin than your pineal gland. But poor diet and/or certain drugs can put your microbiome out of balance. So nourishing your microbiome is the key to bringing back the production of melatonin in your gut.

If you're not on any drugs now, that's a good start. Next make sure your diet is free of low fiber, sugary, processed foods, also known as junk-food. Stay away from, caffeine, soft drinks, fruit drinks and alcohol. Concentrate more on natural whole foods like fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, legumes, whole grains, nuts and seeds. All of these items are high in fiber and that's what the microorganisms in your gut feed on. Then they will multiply and produce melatonin, certain vitamins and more.

I know it must be stressful when you don't get enough sleep, but try your best to avoid stress.

Perhaps you should avoid taking over-the-counter drugs as well.

I hope all the above information adds up to a good night's sleep.

Reply Reply

Tags
    gabapentin, insomnia