It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Effects of SSRI's on amyloid plaque

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
    DianaLynn007
    (female)

DianaLynn007 HB User
    Question Effects of SSRI's on amyloid plaque

I have been reading about the studies conducted using the drug Citalopram,
    with rats.

It was shown to have a definite effect on the reduction of amyloid plaque in the human brain. I haven't found if Wellbutrin has the same proof?? My mother has had P.E.T. scans confirming the amyloid plaque in her brain. I am wondering why she was prescribed Wellbutrin and not Celexa or a drug contianing Citalopram

Also, the uses for Celexa include dementia but Wellbutrin does not.

Anybody know?? I have a dr's apt scheduled but it is almost 2 months until my mother can get in to see the neurologist.

Thanks

Hope everyone is doing as well as possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Effects of SSRI's on amyloid plaque

Why your mother got Wellbutrin and not Celexa might depend on what symptoms she was complaining about when she went to the doctor.

Perhaps she did not report having any memory issues and the amount of plaque was minimal for her age. By the way, how old is she?

Autopsies of elderly people have found that many have plaque in their brain but never had signs of dementia. So perhaps the doctor didn't want to treat her for something she doesn't yet have a problem with. The best way to find out for sure is to ask the doctor.

In the mean time, it might help to know that the human brain is supposed to clean itself of toxins and waste-proteins during sleep. But a recent report I read says that the cleaning process won't work if you go to sleep with undigested food in your stomach. So the recommendation is to allow 4 hours between dinner and bedtime, and no snacking before going to sleep. That means eating a good dinner that will keep one satisfied.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
    TreeFrog (09-16-2019),yayagirl (09-16-2019)
    Reply Reply