It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• No Cause for Dactylitis - Help!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
    dnelso2

dnelso2 HB User
    Question No Cause for Dactylitis - Help!

My 8 year old daughter has been having dactylitis in both of her hands/ all fingers since a very young age. She was born with Supra Ventricular Tachachardia and we spent several weeks in the hospital until we were able to get the medicine to control her heart rate. After about a year we weaned her off the meds and she had no episodes until the age of 6 when we made a very scary trip to the ER. After that we opted for the catheter ablation which was successful. She still has times that she says it feels like a hammer hits her in the chest but the cardiologist says this is just heart palpitations and is somewhat normal after an ablation and nothing to be concerned with. Other than that she is a pretty healthy 8 year old kid. She has had these swollen fingers in both hands that bother her immensely. We have taken her to a couple of doctors who have performed a ton of lab work for all immune system disorders, thyroid function test, rheumatoid factor, etc and all has come back normal. We were concerned that it was rheumatoid authritis or psoriatic authritis but all the test have come back negative and it is not that painful to her, just more that they are ugly to her and they get in the way. Her doctors are kind of left scratching their heads and as parents we are left wondering what to do or where to turn next. We have no idea what could be causing this. They do not seem to get better or worse by any changes in diet, activity, environmental changes, etc. She is a very active child, does well in school, above average in sports, and above average for her height and weight (she is not overweight, just very tall). Her older sister and younger brother are both very healthy with no known health issues. I (her father) am a type one diabetic and her mother is insulin resistant and has degenerative disc disease. Autoimmune diseases are somewhat common on my side of the family- my mother and maternal grandmother have Rheumatoid Arthritis, my dad has strange autoimmune disease called Chronic Inflammatory Demyleniating Polyneuropathy, and my sister has a weakened immune system. Both my father and sister receive IVIG treatments thru IV infusions once a month. My wifeís father was recently diagnosed with Parkinsonís disease and her mother has degenerative disc disease. I tried to be as thorough with the history as possible with hopes of finding an answer or advice on something that will lead to one but if there are any other questions please ask. Any advice on what else to look for, change, or test would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: No Cause for Dactylitis - Help!

Your daughters symptoms might be suggestive of mixed connective tissue disease, an autoimmune condition that often causes inflammation and swelling of fingers. The antibody in serum (blood) is anti-RNP that suggests this diagnosis. Although she has been checked for other autoimmune disorders, I would check her lab history and see if an anti-RNP has been done. It is very common in autoimmune diseases for symptoms to precede lab evidence by months or years. With your strong family history of AI disorders, this would fit. It is important she is evaluated by a pediatric rheumatologist, and retesting periodically should be done as labs can turn positive long after symptoms begin to help identify the diagnosis.

Reply Reply

Tags
    arthirits, autoimmune, child health, finger swelling, stiffness