It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• ATFL/CFL Tear ... possible peroneal tendon tear? Can't get an MRI for awhile.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #1
    sleepykeeks
    (female)

sleepykeeks HB User
    Question ATFL/CFL Tear ... possible peroneal tendon tear? Can't get an MRI for awhile.

TL;DR: ruptured ATFL and CFL and broke 5th metatorsal bone in August 2019. April 2020 went running for the first time and sharp shooting pains followed by bruising. Could this be normal or the tendons?

---

Hoping someone on here can help me figure out if I am still healing normally or if I am just continuously hurting my ankle/foot more...

On August 5th 2019, I was working out a soccer training and landed on the outside of my right foot. I heard a loud pop and immediately felt excruciating pain. I limped off the field and thought maybe it would be just fine..I tried to get back into the training but while doing any quick movement, my ankle would completely give out. So i knew it was time to head home. I was living in Brooklyn at the time and had to take the train, which was a big mistake. By the time I was almost home (25 min ride) I could not put any weight on my right foot, and it had swollen a large amount.

I woke up the next morning not being able to put any weight whatsoever on it, otherwise excruciating pain. I went to urgent care nearby where they X-rayed and found "no breaks" and that it was "just a bad sprain." They put me in a boot and tried to send me on my way.. but even in the boot, I still could not walk. The urgent care doctor looked at me like I was just being a huge wimp when I asked for crutches. "Yeah we can give you crutches if you really need them..."

Fast forward 7 months and one lost job later (yes, i was in fact let go because of the injury), the outside bottom right of my right foot still very much hurts so I finally go see an OS. Turns out..

My diagnosis: broken 5th metatorsal bone, ruptured ATFL and CFL. (Essentially he thinks my issue is that I have been limping for 6 months and putting too much pressure on the outside of my right foot because my newly repaired ligaments are so weak and stretchy. he prescribes ligament strengthening exercises).

- September 2019 - still walking with a limp, zero jogging, no working out
    - October 2019 - start working out, mostly yoga
    - November 2019, I can finally jog a little again and start weight training but still sharp pain
    - December - can do HIIT now but have to use a brace, still shooting pains when I do things like step on a rock, step from the curb to the road, high knees or box jumps, etc.
    - January 2020 - more HIIT, same as above (*this is when I see the OS)
    - February 2020 - attempt running classes with the brace and can actually sprint for the first time in months but feel as if my ankle is at 80%.. still pain on the outside bottom of my foot
    March 2020 - realize the more I workout, the more sore my ankle is and the more I experience shooting pains.

- Today (Saturday, April 4, 2020) - This week I started Nike Running Club to get back into shape. Monday, I did 8x 200m sprints, which felt very OK.. honestly my hips were hurting way more than my ankle because I hadn't move my hip flexors that way in MONTHS. Sunday, I went for a 3 mile run and about 1.5 miles in, it felt like something was pulling or tearing (tingling and sharp) on the outside right side of my foot. A pretty familiar feeling. I get home and can only walk with a limp because of the sharp pains on the outside bottom right. I ice and sleep and wake up with a lot of foot bruising where I imagine my extensor tendons are (about 1 inch above my toes) and TFL and CFL are and behind my fibula. My ankle where my anterior tibiofibular ligament is is VERY sore. Additionally, the bottom outside right of my right foot still feels that pulling/tearing feeling and the head/neck of my 5th metatorsal hurts (like where you get a dancer's fracture).

I obviously can't get an MRI anytime soon (due to COVID-19 lockdowns) so I just want to know if exercising/running/bodyweight squats is hurting or helping to strengthen?
    - Do you think this pain/bruising normal - perhaps scar tissue or just the ligaments sore from being used in this way?
    - Or do you think this could potentially be a torn tendon and I am continuously injuring it more the more I run/use it?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply