It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Sore Throat, ongoing

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
    S74
    (female)

S74 HB User
    Question Sore Throat, ongoing

Today I spoke with a nurse practitioner as no Drs available and no face to face appointments allowed. I have had a sore throat for two weeks now, or rather a croak/raspy voice with a little tenderness. I sent photos of my throat to the nurse and she has given me a diagnosis of oral thrush...***?! I looked it up online and my mouth looks nothing like the pictures showing patients with this condition. I have none of the symptoms either, no white cottage cheese like stuff anywhere in my mouth, no cracks or lesions or smells or bad taste/no taste...
    I'm an ex smoker and more concerned with something more sinister. She said I have only had the sore throat for two weeks so to take the medication and if nothing improves in a few weeks to get back to them. I'm fairly positive I dont have oral thrush and I'm worried about taking the medication for it...so I really don't know what to do....any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Sore Throat, ongoing

Is your throat red at all? Do you have reflux or post nasal drip?
    q

Old 09-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
    S74
    (female)

S74 HB User

Hi, not really, looks fairly normal colour in comparison to other images, I had to look up post nasal drip and yes, I do actually, but not excessively so. I don't have reflux or heart burn...

Old 09-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
    guitarhillbilly
    (male)

guitarhillbilly HB Userguitarhillbilly HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by S74 View Post
    Today I spoke with a nurse practitioner as no Drs available and no face to face appointments allowed. I have had a sore throat for two weeks now, or rather a croak/raspy voice with a little tenderness. I sent photos of my throat to the nurse and she has given me a diagnosis of oral thrush...***?! I looked it up online and my mouth looks nothing like the pictures showing patients with this condition. I have none of the symptoms either, no white cottage cheese like stuff anywhere in my mouth, no cracks or lesions or smells or bad taste/no taste...
    I'm an ex smoker and more concerned with something more sinister. She said I have only had the sore throat for two weeks so to take the medication and if nothing improves in a few weeks to get back to them. I'm fairly positive I dont have oral thrush and I'm worried about taking the medication for it...so I really don't know what to do....any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Do you use a CPAP Machine? These are also major culprits for sore throats.

QUOTE:
    "Throat irritation or sore throat is one of the most common CPAP side effects. Almost every sleep apnea patient with CPAP has throat irritation.

You didn't tell me what type of mask you have, so I will speak generally.

This problem is usually caused by "mouth leak" - If your mouth opens during sleep, much of the pressurized air going into the nose goes comes straight out again through the mouth.

So, if you are a mouth breather, this could be a problem. However, if you use a chin strap with your mask to keep your mouth closed while you sleep, you shouldn't feel the sore throat again.

Another solution is to use heated humidifier that fits your CPAP unit to moisten and warm the air blowing into your throat.

So, check if your humidifier can utilize heat to create moisture. The heat allows the air to hold more moisture and thus carries more effectively humidified air to airways.

Another tip is to fill the humidifier with crushed ice and just use it as a passive blow through and get cooler air that way. Some patients had success with this trick.

Many germs can take up residence in CPAP tubing, so your throat irritation can be a side effect from a virus. Did you go to your doctor to speak about this?

Anyway, you should clean every week your CPAP tubing, to prevent the germs entering your body and cause infections."
    NBS = Negative
    Pelvic CT= Negative
    Pelvic MRI= Negative
    Age at Diagnosis= 60-65 age group
    Completed 42 IMRT Sessions
    Lupron scheduled for 2 years [Started DEC 2019]

Old 09-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #5
    S74
    (female)

S74 HB User

No, I don't have one of those CPAP things...
    I am not on any medications at all.

Reply Reply