It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Vomited blood

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-29-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
    SLC Girl
    (female)

SLC Girl HB User
    Vomited blood

I haven't posted here for a long time. I'm a post-menopausal woman, age 58.

On March 10, 2021, I attempted to donate platelets and was turned away because of low hemoglobin (11.7). I tried again 10 days later and was turned away again because of an even lower hemoglobin (9.9). Before that, on February 22, I had donated whole blood and everything was fine. They say you can donate platelets every 7 days so I thought it would be fine. When I was younger I donated platelets plenty of times. I told my primary care doctor about the low hemoglobin and she ordered blood tests. Turned out I had VERY LOW IRON levels (iron was about 37; ferritin was only a 3; and iron saturation 12%). Hemoglobin was at 11.7 and she considered that "mild" anemia. She just told me to eat a high iron diet (I eat very well so I don't think it's my diet), and to stop donating blood. I don't donate blood every week, and I've always bounced back from any blood donations in the past. She told me to follow up with another blood test in 3 months. Meanwhile, I was having dizzy spells and lightheadedness, and other signs of iron deficiency anemia, even though she thought I shouldn't have any symptoms because of how "mild" it was. I was very tired, slept a lot, and have sallow skin around my eyes and into my cheeks. My doctor said my face looks normal although I could tell how terrible I look. On April 15th I wound up in the ER because of chest pain, shortness of breath and a racing heart which had been getting progressively worse a few days before. An EKG showed a T wave inferior abnormality (which doctors said was "nonspecific") so no answer there. The hospital providers were concentrating on my heart and didn't realize I was anemic, although I told them that when I described my symptoms and history. They did plenty of tests on my heart and also xrays and CT scan of lungs and they were clear. I was kept overnight, given an iron infusion and plenty of prescriptions and no talk of any possible GI bleeding (which I understand can cause anemia in a woman my age), and sent home the next day. I never came home with a good diagnosis. My chest pain (more pressure than pain) and shortness of breath continues, when I am mildly exerted (like walking up the stairs), have a chronic cough that's been going on a while, and have a dull aching pain in my upper abdomen with little appetite. A few days ago I had a coughing fit, got nauseas from it, and then vomited up some blood. I'm scared it's something like stomach cancer. I tried to make an appointment with my gastroenterologist (I have a history of GERD) but was told he's booked really far out and wound up with a virtual appointment with his nurse practitioner on May 11th. If I don't feel better soon I'll wind up back in the ER. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply