It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• How did I develop night terrors and unexplained hangovers every time I drink alcohol?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-19-2021, 12:19 AM   #1
    viliusruzas
    (male)

viliusruzas HB User
    Exclamation How did I develop night terrors and unexplained hangovers every time I drink alcohol?

Good day to you all. Please help me, I am really lost here! By the way, thanks in advance for taking a look into my question. I don’t know where to ask, because i am definitely not asking this my local GP as i already know what she will say – “dont drink if you feel bad”. But i like to taste good drinks, relax with a glass of bourbon after hard week at work, and now i cant enjoy myself anymore. I am afraid of what is going to happen during the night if i drink even two glasses of spirits or beer....

I am male, 32 years old. I used alcohol since 16, however only at parties during weekends. I can drink beer, vodka, whiskey, you name it. Mixing was also never a problem. As far as I remember, I could and still can drink at least a 0,7 liter bottle of whiskey and still be reasonable. Drunk, but walking straight the line, communicating with others and really in control of my body. I never vomit even I mix many drinks. It is really not an easy job for me to get wasted. Nor it was, nor it is. Nothing changed, except hangover episodes at night two years ago.

Imagine this. You drink 3 glasses of whiskey with friends, feeling good and relaxed, everything is fine. You go to sleep with a good mood, and a bit tired. You fall asleep quick, at 11.30PM. You wake up several hours later, you go to toilet, go back to sleep, all good. And then suddenly you wake up at about 5.30 AM with a strange feeling in you gut and chest. Its not pain, but its like something you cant easily describe in words. Something is not right. You feel your heart beating much faster, you feel like ****. You want to stand up, walk around the room, heart is still racing (130~ beats minute), you try to calm yourself down. You walk around drinking water because mouth is dry, hands shaking, you feel that strange feeling around chest (like bees buzzing or if you can feel your blood streaming in blood-vessels) and disgusting feel in a gut and the only thing in your mind is “I WILL NEVER DIRNK ALCOHOL AGAIN BECAUSE IF I CONTINUE TO FEEL LIKE THIS, I WILL END IN A HOSPITAL”. IN about 20 – 30 minutes, heart is better, (75~), feeling in a gut and chest is still there, but you feel a bit better. However far from well. You manage to go back to sleep, and it’s a success. In the morning you feel reasonable well, you could feel you drank something but all is good. There are no headaches, puking etc. However, all day long, you feel your stomach is inflated and not well. You belch a lot all day long, and there is no appetite. But at the evening it is all gone, and you are back on track.

Points to note: these episodes started about 2 years ago. Never ever had them. Sometimes it is 3 beers enough to experience these symptoms. If you drink spirits, these attacks are guaranteed. EVERY NIGHT AT ALMOST SAME TIME – EARLY EARLY MORNING. Or being more specific, about 5-6 hours after you go to sleep. Sometimes they are bigger, sometimes very small episodes. Depends on quantity of drinks you did.

Now I am afraid of having a nice evening with my wife, to drink a bottle of tasty wine with food, because I am afraid of having night terrors again. When this occurred first time, I called emergency, they found nothing, just a bit elevated blood pressure. Now I am used to these symptoms, and if I drink I already now I will have them so I try to make peace with it and I face them. Nothing really changes, but at least I know I dont have to call local hospital and I am not going to die. Or at least I hope it. I try to limit my drinks dramatically so these episodes are less vicious.

Is my heart bad? Maybe my digestive system is f***** up? I noticed symptoms may be worse depending on drinks I had.

I did many blood tests – all fine. Also had my kidneys, liver and heart checked. All good. However they found a small rupture in stomach and a bit of gastro reflux. Advised me to eat healthy and it is nothing to be concerned about yet.

I want to enjoy my life. I like to travel, i like to sit in a local bars, enjoy beer and try national drinks (without abusing!) but I can’t do it freely, because i know what will happen in my sleep and that vicious hangover will kill me one day. Even tho during the days i feel fine, i am fit and healthy, i do sports on daily basis and i am active person. I rarely have any colds or flu, i am looking after my immune system well.

Maybe someone has the same problem and overcame it? I feel hopeless… Why this is happening to me? What I must do to stop it? ☹

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    alcohol, drinking, hangover, health, sleep