It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Baker's Cyst for 9 Years

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-13-2022, 10:40 AM   #1
    KSki06
    (female)

KSki06 HB User
    Baker's Cyst for 9 Years

I have had a Baker's Cyst for almost 9 years. I have had three MRIs, steroid shots, they've drained it multiple times, and I've done an exploratory surgery to find the cause. This is all under 5 orthopedic surgeons - all having the same answer... They have no idea why I have the cyst and cannot figure out why it won't go away.

Each MRI shows that the cyst is very large (think small orange), but that I have very little arthritis (similar to what they would expect someone in their late 30s would have). Exploratory surgery yielded no answers, the doctor said he saw nothing wrong. I have these 5 doctors baffled.

Each time the cyst has been drained (including after the exploratory surgery), it is back within 48 hours. While it doesn't typically bother me, when it is exceptionally big it can actually be cutting off circulation to my lower leg (confirmed by one of the ortho surgeons) and the size will cause pretty severe pain.

Four years ago, I was sent to a vascular surgeon to discuss removal of the cyst completely. I had a great discussion with him and ultimately decided against the surgery. He was more concerned about blood clotting post surgery and was worried that the cyst would end up coming back. He agreed to do the surgery, but not without expressing his concerns. Heeding these concerns, I opted out.

I did have a skiing accident when I was 17, but that was over 20 years ago. I didn't have an obvious injury to my knee at the time, but did injure my hip and back.

I walk at least 3-4 miles daily and work out several times a week. I am also overweight.

The last couple of days, I have noticed the pain coming back. The cyst is large right now, but seems to almost extend down my calf.

Here are my questions. Has anyone encountered a baker's cyst that has lasted this long? Are there any other things I could try to get rid of this cyst? What are some suggestions to help ease the pain from the cyst?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply