It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Lipitor....grapefruit juice, etc.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2004, 01:24 AM   #1
    cossette2
    Veteran
    (female)

cossette2 HB User
    Lipitor....grapefruit juice, etc.

I see that grapefruit and grapefruit juice is not allowed when taking Lipitor. As such I was wondering about Ginger Ale. I looked at the ingredients in Ginger Ale and it includes citric acid. It's the only kind of pop i drink and i drink it rarely, but i want to be sure it's okay to drink it when on lipitor before i do.
    Anyone know about this. I will check with my pharmacist if i don't hear from anyone on the board.
    cossette.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 03:14 AM   #2
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: Lipitor....grapefruit juice, etc.

Hi cossette,

The prohibition is particular to grapefruit juice, which adversely affects MANY drugs. I've never known why. I'll check it out later.
    It scared me at first too, but then I read that it's a problem only with a QUART or more of juice and doesn't pertain to the fresh fruit (because nobody could possibly EAT that many.)

One thing I think shoulf be shouted from the rooftops though: STAY AWAY FROM CERTAIN ANTIBIOTICS when taking Lipitor.
    With erythromycin (and it's cousins) and clindamycin (personal experience), you can have HORRIBLE pain!

If you are having surgery, either stop the statin a week early or make sure your doctor knows to NOT use these agents to prevent infection. I think choice #1 is the safest.

Enjoy the ginger ale (and I drink Crystal Lite to wash the Lipitor down. )

Old 01-19-2004, 11:08 AM   #3
    cossette2
    Veteran
    (female)

cossette2 HB User
    Re: Lipitor....grapefruit juice, etc.

Thanks Zip...much appreciated. Never tried Crystal Lite. I'm a creature of habit. Once i find something i like i stick to it and ginger ale just hits the spot sometimes. caffeine doesn't agree with me much so i stay away from colas though sometimes i do crave them.
    Good to know about those anti-biotics too.
    Thanks again.
    coss

Closed Thread