It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Help!! What are my chances of getting salmonella/food poisoning from this!!?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2004, 01:46 AM   #1
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Question Help!! What are my chances of getting salmonella/food poisoning from this!!?

My boyfriend and I were cooking this awesome Oriental salad tonight. I used this large knife to chop up slices of raw chicken and placed it in the sink. My boyfriend picked it up out of the sink and started chopping scallions. I quickly threw the scallions he chopped away and told him he had to wash the knife. He gave me a look like, "yeah, like it matters" and walked to the sink. I washed him get soap all over the knife, but he only rinsed it LITERALLY for about 2 seconds, not even enough time to remove all of the soap, and started chopping again. I let it go. I felt bad because this was his first time cooking with me, and he was really enjoying himself. He also used the same knife to mix the salad later on. The chicken was boneless, skinless chicken and was VERY fresh, but I know there is still a chance that my boyfriend and I are going to get sick now. I know the government can tell you an approximate probability from getting salmonella from eggs, but can anyone tell me what my APPROXIMATE chances are of getting sick from this?? First of all, I have a major fear of puking, and second of all, I'm always sick as it is and I shouldn't have eaten that stupid salad no matter if I thought it would hurt my boyfriend's feelings or not!!!
    ~Katalina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #2
    kellie2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kellie2 HB User
    Re: Help!! What are my chances of getting salmonella/food poisoning from this!!?

You can probably look it up online to find a timeline for getting sick from salmonella. Actually, once the knife was washed, it was probably fine to use. He should have used hot water and maybe rinsed a little better, but you'll probably make yourself sicker from worrying about it than from the chicken itself. My next question to you is - did he cut up the scallions on the same surface you cut the chicken up on, or did you wash it off? Because that's a mistake many people make without realizing it, and that's how it gets transferred. My mother-in-law isn't as careful as I would like her to be, and certainly not as paranoid as I am about things like that, mostly for the same reason your boyfriend is the way he is - they just aren't knowledgeable enough about the risks. My mother-in-law will take a chicken wrapper and just set it aside on the kitchen counter. Now, I don't do things like that - mine goes into the trash, utensils go into the dishwasher, and my hands go into hot soapy water. And yeah, I'm a little anal about it but I don't want to get food poisoning. When I saw my mother-in-law do that, I did say something to her about throwing it away and cleaning off the counter because she could get sick that way, and she did....and I've never seen her do it again so I know she's aware of it now....or she just doesn't want me seeing it and saying something again. Either way, it's off the counter As far as you though, if you're still feeling ok tonight, you're probably fine. But next time? Say something if you're not comfortable, and I don't care if it's your boyfriend or your mom, getting food poisoning is NOT fun - I've had it - and if someone is going to get their feelings hurt because they're too lazy to clean a knife correctly for a very legitimate reason, then let him either get his feelings hurt.....or eat the salad by himself. Because trust me, salmonella will land you in a hospital if you ever get it and make you one sick little girl. NO boyfriend is worth that.

Let us know how you are, ok?

Old 04-09-2004, 02:12 PM   #3
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Re: Help!! What are my chances of getting salmonella/food poisoning from this!!?

Well, it's been almost three days and I think I'm going to be okay. Luckily, my boyfriend didn't cut the scallions on the same surface that the chicken was cut on. I haven't felt sick yet at, all, thank god. Thank you for all your responses. Kellie2, when I'm cooking, I do the same stuff as you. Next time, my boyfriend is staying OUT of the kitchen unless he prepares food in a sanitary manner!
    ~Katalina

Closed Thread