It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• clenching hands,forearm pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
    eternal21
    (female)

eternal21 HB User
    clenching hands,forearm pain

I have had foream pain for about two months now. Thought it was from bad ergonomics and typing,but really now believe it is from clenching at night. I am wearing a guard,but once I start doing anything it really hurts. The diagnosis is tendonitis..but how long will this go on!!!!! Am seeing a chiropractor but not sure if that really helps..any other ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2004, 05:10 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: clenching hands,forearm pain

Hi,

It's probably from all of the above. I'd say it's possibly repetative strain injury.....not necessarily carpal tunnel.

I've had it....still do on occasion.
    It took a long while to get over it. I did see (and still) see a chiropractor. When my pain was unbearable, I went to the doctor, she put me on Celebrex for a week or two (can't remember exactly), and I saw a physiotherapist. Hmmm, not sure about the ptharapist, but she did do some accupuncture and ultrasound.

I got a good arm/wrist support. I especially used it when sleeping. It's one that has metal on the top as well as the bottom and keeping my wrist in a more neutral position while sleeping definitely helped. I also wore it when I was sitting watching TV or when "relaxed". Keeping it neutral really helped.

The Celebrex helped...the chiro also did some massage and adjustments. Injured arm mechanics takes a loooong time to get the inflammation down...then time to heal and become strong again.

Definitely positioning yourself while typing of prime egronomics will help lessen the strain on that area.

You might also want to consider massage or deep tissue massage or fascial release therapy to help heal that area.

Too much too quickly can make matters worse, tho. I think that since you believe it's from clenching (I'll assume you mean your fists), the brace at night will help prevent that.

Once the inflammation goes down, there are also exercises to strengthen the muscles....

Hope you heal soon,
    quincy

Old 05-20-2004, 07:49 PM   #3
    tishea

tishea HB User

In a nut shell, tendinitis will go on as long as the cause of it is still going on. You have to refrain from clenching your fists and anything strenuous that causes you to flex your hand at the wrist. Ice when it isn't feeling so nice and use a hot towel (40 degrees celcius) when it's feeling okay. Keep stretching your inner forearms (look up on the net how to do that) and keep them as active as you can.
    Massage therapy works wonders!

Old 05-20-2004, 07:51 PM   #4
    tishea

tishea HB User

Oh ya, where exactly do you feel the pain the most? in my last reply I was just assuming where it was but it's helpful to know for sure

Old 05-21-2004, 12:33 PM   #5
    eternal21
    (female)

eternal21 HB User

thanks for the info..The pain is always on the top of my forearm the entire length..The braces do really work well. I took them off one night and ow!!! great for my new marriage though... of course everytime they feel better Im typing or doing something else!! Getting off now!!

Closed Thread