It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Waterproof band-aid mark scar?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
    nyyankeefan2112

nyyankeefan2112 HB User
    Waterproof band-aid mark scar?

I used a waterproof band-aid by Johnson and Johnson on a scab I had on my thigh. When I removed the band-aid it had left a mark. I thought it was the usual band-aid adhesive mark that you can usually rub off, or that goes away in a few hours....well, I have had this mark for over a month now. WHat is with these waterproof band-aids...I think it might have given me a scar that looks like I have a band-aid still on my leg. ARGH. Has anyone else experienced this or know how to get rid of this mark? Help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: Waterproof band-aid mark scar?

No doubt you were allergic to the adhesive. Are you possibly allergic to latex?
    Latex allergy activates when wet and your skin does have moisture.

I am allergic to latex and use paper tape. Have to make my own band-aids.

Old 07-07-2004, 06:33 PM   #3
    ALonelyOctober
    Inactive

ALonelyOctober HB User

yeah, my moms allergic to latex and if she gets a latex bandaid at the doctor by mistake and the bandaid is on for a while the mark doesn't go away... you could try latex free bandaids

Old 07-08-2004, 03:50 AM   #4
    cs1992
    (male)

cs1992 HB User
    Re: I know what you mean!

I know exactly what you mean.

I was wearing a bandaid for about a month to cover a scar and all of a sudden a mark appeared. The mark, although it was not completely the shape of the adhesive part (of the bandaid), was red and blotchy. I think my skin became sensitized to the adhesive and decided to become irritated, though it never really itched.

The next day, I decided to change the position of the bandaid. Low and behold when I woke up the next morning, I had another red mark beneath the adhesive area of the newly positioned bandaid.

After 5 days, the marks have faded some, but I can still make it out (especially in the right light). I expected it to be completely gone by now, but it's not. I have read that it can takes weeks for contact dermatitis to fade. I am applying hydrocoritsone to it. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:36 AM   #5
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I have the same problem and it is only recent, mine is either an allergy or a result from the syndrome I have or both.
    During a shoulder scope surgery last fall I started noticing a problem where the band where the site was so I switched to a non allergenic type and was fine. But then in Feb when I had my ACDF, they put those pads on me to monitor my heart and of course white tape on my neck and when they removed it all the next day it tore off all my skin underneath and is now scarred.
    Since then when I go to the doctors for bloodwork I make sure to let them know I am allergic, some have a special stretchy tape that adheres to itself and is used for compression, this works great. Also I always stock up on band aid easy pull off strips and old clear non allergenic medical tape.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:15 PM   #6
    Sunlover
    Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyyankeefan2112
    I used a waterproof band-aid by Johnson and Johnson on a scab I had on my thigh. When I removed the band-aid it had left a mark. I thought it was the usual band-aid adhesive mark that you can usually rub off, or that goes away in a few hours....well, I have had this mark for over a month now. WHat is with these waterproof band-aids...I think it might have given me a scar that looks like I have a band-aid still on my leg. ARGH. Has anyone else experienced this or know how to get rid of this mark? Help
    Were you out swimming or in the sun with this? If so, you obviously tanned a bit and didn't tan where the band aid was. If not, then I don't know.

Old 07-10-2004, 04:15 AM   #7
    craftlady
    Veteran
    (female)

craftlady HB User

Hi, I have the same type of problem, most of the time only time will take care of the mark, I have had some that lasted 6 months, I use a anti-bacterial and lotion on the spots to help the skin in that area to heal and regenerate, give it some time it should go away as your skin natural sheds.

Last edited by craftlady; 07-10-2004 at 04:16 AM.

Closed Thread