It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Therapeutic level of Metadate for adults??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2004, 10:25 PM   #1
    Jessicaca

Jessicaca HB User
    Therapeutic level of Metadate for adults??

Anyone know the mg's that would be therapeutic for an adult who weighed about 200lbs.??? Just wondering how far off I may be from it. I don't really notice any changes but my psych had to take a family emergency and we missed our last med check.

I "believe" I'm on 30mg. I take 3pills in the am, I THINK they are 10mg each. right??

Anyone know anything more about Metadate?? I know I am crashing hard from it about 10hrs after my dose. I didn't do so well on a SR version, forget which one so this is our newest go.

BTW, I'm also on Clonipin for Anxiety and Lamictal for BP.

What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 01:30 AM   #2
    Redhead23
    Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
    Re: Therapeutic level of Metadate for adults??

Metadate what? Is it slow-release? It sounds like it, as it lasts 10 hours... some slow-release forms are 30mg each so you'd be on 90 but this is really something you should talk to your Dr. about. and the dosage is written on the bottle... usually you'll have both the individual dosage of the pills and the doc's recommendation (like "Take x every x hours") on the label.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 08-27-2004, 06:45 AM   #3
    5alive
    (female)

5alive HB User5alive HB User5alive HB User

I don't know much about your med.,but if your having problems,call docs. office for the covering md.I'm sure they will help you.Take care and good luck.
    I also am bp too.Let me know how it go's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    5alive

Old 08-28-2004, 12:46 PM   #4
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessicaca
    Anyone know the mg's that would be therapeutic for an adult who weighed about 200lbs.??? Just wondering how far off I may be from it. I don't really notice any changes but my psych had to take a family emergency and we missed our last med check.

I "believe" I'm on 30mg. I take 3pills in the am, I THINK they are 10mg each. right??

Anyone know anything more about Metadate?? I know I am crashing hard from it about 10hrs after my dose. I didn't do so well on a SR version, forget which one so this is our newest go.

BTW, I'm also on Clonipin for Anxiety and Lamictal for BP.

What do you think?
    Your'e on Klonopin for anxiety? That's a powerful "downer"(CNS depressant) a benzodiazepine. It is really a anti-seizure med; prescribing it for anxiety is off-label use although this is common. It impairs mental alertness, that may explain if you are having trouble concentrating.

Then I ask, why would you want to be on an "upper"(CNS stimulant) like Metadate? Metadate can also raise blood pressure, and nervousness is a side effect. So, if you have high BP, this is not a good drug to take. If you have anxiety, Metadate can worsen it. Using Metadate is contradicted in use with anxiety patients. Basically, being on Klonopin and Metadete is simply being on uppers and downers....good greif... this is typical of pyshchiatry these days. The FDA has complete info on the drug. I posted the PDF information link below:

http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2001/21259lbl.pdf

Old 08-28-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
    Jessicaca

Jessicaca HB User

Oh really?? HMMM I knew I didn't like this doctor. I've made an appointment with a new psych but it's in a month. I either continue this course of meds and meet with him next week or let my prescrips run out and start over fresh with the new psych at the end of Sept.

Now that I think about it...I have had a number of anxiety attacks since starting Metadate. GRRR just one more reason for me to think this guy was an idiot!!!

Thanks for the info, I'm going to do some more research on these meds.

Old 08-28-2004, 08:49 PM   #6
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Oh really?? HMMM I knew I didn't like this doctor. I've made an appointment with a new psych but it's in a month. I either continue this course of meds and meet with him next week or let my prescrips run out and start over fresh with the new psych at the end of Sept.

Now that I think about it...I have had a number of anxiety attacks since starting Metadate. GRRR just one more reason for me to think this guy was an idiot!!!

Thanks for the info, I'm going to do some more research on these meds.
    Your'e welcome. Unfortuately, there are alot of doctors just like him out there. They really don't care about all the side-effects because they will just "medicate the medication"; they love drug cocktails, especially psychs.

But maybe you will get lucky and get one who isn't into all that. Maybe he could offer some therapy(if anxiety is psychological) or other course may help.

Hopefully you have already had an extensive physical to rule out any health-related things that could be causing your anxiety such as hormones like thyroid and you don't smoke or drink much because both are anxiet/depression culprits along with too much caffeine.

Anyway, good luck in finding some decent help out there...

Old 08-28-2004, 09:06 PM   #7
    Jessicaca

Jessicaca HB User

Yep, I've had a thyroid test, came back odd and went off to the Endo. But everything turned out fairly normal, some slight nodules but nothing completely abnormal and antibodies that apparently just show a possibility of problems later on in life.

I don't take in ANY caffiene ever. I haven't smoked in 5yrs. I've always had anxiety but it was controllable, I'd only have a severe attack once every 3yrs or so. It wasn't until I had my ds, 19months ago that it got bad!!!

I have been in therapy, it wasn't working for me. Seemed we talked about everything but my anxiety issues and I couldn't afford to keep beating around that bush!!!! I know the problem behind my anxiety, I just need to find a way to get past it...somehow.

I think with some more research I'll be able to go to the new psych and tell them that I do NOT want to be on 4 or 5 pills. I am not interested in a cocktail of drugs. I can't keep track of what's doing what and like you said, sounds like onei s making the other worse. How frustrating this is!!! I wish there was just one pill that made my head slow down and act "normal" whatever that is.

Thanks again. I run out tomorrow of all drugs. So I'm off for a month. We'll see how things go. And start over fresh in late Sept.

Old 08-29-2004, 01:44 AM   #8
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Yep, I've had a thyroid test, came back odd and went off to the Endo. But everything turned out fairly normal, some slight nodules but nothing completely abnormal and antibodies that apparently just show a possibility of problems later on in life.

I don't take in ANY caffiene ever. I haven't smoked in 5yrs. I've always had anxiety but it was controllable, I'd only have a severe attack once every 3yrs or so. It wasn't until I had my ds, 19months ago that it got bad!!!

I have been in therapy, it wasn't working for me. Seemed we talked about everything but my anxiety issues and I couldn't afford to keep beating around that bush!!!! I know the problem behind my anxiety, I just need to find a way to get past it...somehow.

I think with some more research I'll be able to go to the new psych and tell them that I do NOT want to be on 4 or 5 pills. I am not interested in a cocktail of drugs. I can't keep track of what's doing what and like you said, sounds like onei s making the other worse. How frustrating this is!!! I wish there was just one pill that made my head slow down and act "normal" whatever that is.

Thanks again. I run out tomorrow of all drugs. So I'm off for a month. We'll see how things go. And start over fresh in late Sept.
    What does ds stand for? I don't know how long you have been on Klonopin, but after some time the panic can get worse due to benzodiazepine tolerance which may explain the worsening state you are in....plus the Metadate was more fuel for the fire!

Tolerance symptoms: this can happen while you are still on the drug, it's called tolerance withdrawals. Have you read the free online Ashton Manual? It is written by a PHD in the UK who studied and ran a clinic for benzodiazepine withdrawal for many years there. It might be helpful for you...check it out.

I am worried.....how much Klonopin are you on? Did you say you are just going to quit taking it?? You are not supposed to cold turkey this drug, it could be dangerous, even seizures! Please do consult a doctor to stay on it intil you can taper off it properly!

Old 08-29-2004, 01:49 AM   #9
    WeedTus

WeedTus HB User

I have ADHD and I currently take 5mg tabs 3 times daily. So far this works great for my
    ADHD. But everybody is different.

James

Old 08-29-2004, 05:25 AM   #10
    Jessicaca

Jessicaca HB User

ds=dear son

I'm actually running out of Lamictal and Metatdate CD. Not the Clonopin. I called and they said they can't call them into the pharmacy and it's 30mins away from my house, so I'm not driving up there for a script when the appt is Thursday (if I still go). I'm calling the new one on Monday to see if I can get in any sooner.

As for how much Clonopin, the bottle is downstairs but I take 1 twice a day (was up to three times but I got dizzy so I backed it down to 2). I don't remember their mg. but I think it's 10.

Old 08-29-2004, 03:54 PM   #11
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    ds=dear son

I'm actually running out of Lamictal and Metatdate CD. Not the Clonopin. I called and they said they can't call them into the pharmacy and it's 30mins away from my house, so I'm not driving up there for a script when the appt is Thursday (if I still go). I'm calling the new one on Monday to see if I can get in any sooner.

As for how much Clonopin, the bottle is downstairs but I take 1 twice a day (was up to three times but I got dizzy so I backed it down to 2). I don't remember their mg. but I think it's 10.
    DS, how cute!

Maybe we mixed spellings here, because Klonopin is a benzodiazepine used for anxiety, and 10 mgs. would be a huge, huge dose. You keep spelling it Clonopin...do you mean Clonidine instead? That would be an entirely different story, that's just a blood pressure med which can be a bit of a downer effect, but isn't an outright tranquilizer like Klonopin. It may have some rebound hypertension from discontinuation, but no seizures I don't think.

You are cold-turkeying Lamictal??? WHat is your doctor thinking?? I don't think you are supposed to do that either, it's an anti epileptic and you could have withdrawal seizures.

Here's the prescription PDF link......http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_lamictal.pdf

Old 08-29-2004, 08:54 PM   #12
    Jessicaca

Jessicaca HB User

No it's Klonopin, I"m just not spelling it right. I haven't a clue what the spelling is because the bottle is the generic form. And it's 1mg not 10mg...lol

I have no choice but to go off of the Lamictal, I ran out this morning and my appointment isn't until Thursday. They said they can't call it in. I'm going to call in tomorrow to see if there's anything they can do. He missed our last appt and then was booked up for four weeks. Drives me batty. But at least on Thursday I can tell him that I'll be switching my care to someone else.

Hopefully I won't have any problems between now and then. My last Metadate dosage is tomorrow. LOL

I hate meds!!!

Old 08-30-2004, 12:03 AM   #13
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    No it's Klonopin, I"m just not spelling it right. I haven't a clue what the spelling is because the bottle is the generic form. And it's 1mg not 10mg...lol

I have no choice but to go off of the Lamictal, I ran out this morning and my appointment isn't until Thursday. They said they can't call it in. I'm going to call in tomorrow to see if there's anything they can do. He missed our last appt and then was booked up for four weeks. Drives me batty. But at least on Thursday I can tell him that I'll be switching my care to someone else.

Hopefully I won't have any problems between now and then. My last Metadate dosage is tomorrow. LOL

I hate meds!!!
    Ok, well thank goodness it's only 1 mg!!! That stuff is strong, 1mg. Klonopin is around the same as 20mgs. Valium.

I'm a bit relieved to know you still have Klonopin, it is also an anti-epiletic like the Lamictal, so it may prevent any seizures from the Lamictal cold-turkey. Gee, why on earth did he have you on two epilepsy drugs? Do you even have epilepsy? Damn doctors!

Old 08-30-2004, 07:09 AM   #14
    Jessicaca

Jessicaca HB User

NO epilepsy!! The man has the personality of a tick!! He's drove me nuts but he was in the same practices as my LSW so I thought it was easier. Well he's going out of network and I'm forced to find a new one. I'm not at all upset. I just hink I'm on too many drugs and I want some changes made. So I am looking forward to the new psych. Calling today to get in sooner if possible.

Thanks for all your info. I've made a list to discuss with the new dr. I have never needed to be on so many meds before (first since being pregnant, that really throws you off) and there's a lot to keep up with.

Of course by the time we get this all regulted, I'll want another baby. LOL isn't that how it always works out.

Have you had any luck doing yoga?? It helped me go off med completely about 5yrs ago but I haven't got back into it yet. Just wondering if I was the only one who found help with it.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:39 PM   #15
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    NO epilepsy!! The man has the personality of a tick!! He's drove me nuts but he was in the same practices as my LSW so I thought it was easier. Well he's going out of network and I'm forced to find a new one. I'm not at all upset. I just hink I'm on too many drugs and I want some changes made. So I am looking forward to the new psych. Calling today to get in sooner if possible.

Thanks for all your info. I've made a list to discuss with the new dr. I have never needed to be on so many meds before (first since being pregnant, that really throws you off) and there's a lot to keep up with.

Of course by the time we get this all regulted, I'll want another baby. LOL isn't that how it always works out.

Have you had any luck doing yoga?? It helped me go off med completely about 5yrs ago but I haven't got back into it yet. Just wondering if I was the only one who found help with it.
    God, they use drugs for so many off label use these days. Personally, I think off label use should be outlawed, but it isn't. A drug rep who also had a PHd for the company who made Neurontin blew the whistle when they had ordered him to convince doctors to off label use that drug. He knew it could cause suicidal feelings among other things...it was only FDA approved for seizures. Luckily, he was smart enough to have hard evidence to prove it what the company was doing. So, the courts found them guilty of all charges and now the class action lawsuits are pouring in. It just goes to show what goes on in the psych drug industry. Zyprexa is another drug facing lawsuits as it was causing people to get diabetes and go into diabetic comas who didn't have diabetes.

I know a woman given an AD for post-partum depression. I asked he if she took painkillers after giving birth. Narcotics can cause depression itself; and surely exaggerate post-partum....however, some partum depression is really quite norma. She had taken the narcotics prescribed to her, so it seems they did make her post-partum much worse than it should have been. So on to the antidepressant....

Now she wants another child, but the doctor advised her not to because of the Effexor. But she can't get off it without severe withdrawals, so she feels stuck.

So goes the story of these drugs!

As far as post partum, I think I got lucky....I brought the pain killers home, but my husband was wary of them and said one nurse told him tylenol would work just fine. So that's what I took; good ol, tylenol . As a result, my post-partum depression was barely noticable, perhaps it wouldn't have been so if I had taken the narcotics. Maybe I would have been on an AD as a result of that, who knows?

Closed Thread