It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Tetanus Shot question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
    almondjoy
    (female)

almondjoy HB User
    Tetanus Shot question

I stepped on something, in the sand, on the beach, Thursday. I immediately used alcohol and cleaned it. I can barely see where I was scrapped/cut. Should have I gotten a tetanus shot? Is it too late to get a tetanus shot? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 10:58 PM   #2
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
    Re: Tetanus Shot question

It's never too late to get a tetanus shot. I think they also have other stuff they can give you if it's been a while, too. As for whether or not you need one... Basically any small cut or scratch could become infected with the tetanus bacteria. Certain types of wounds are more prone to this, like if the thing that caused the wound is really dirty and nasty, or if it is a puncture wound (these get closed off by the body fast and trap bacteria inside). So if it was on the beach then we can assume that it wasn't terribly clean. The other question is was it a deep puncture wound (difficult to clean) or a surface scratch (easy to clean)? And the final consideration is when your last tetanus shot was. If it was more than 10 years ago, then it's time to get a booster anyway, so go get one. If it was less than 5 years ago, you are probably still covered. So it's up to you. If you are worried about it, call your doctor and go get one, since they really don't hurt that much. (I just had one this summer, so it's not just that I have forgotten the pain... Sure, it hurts a bit, and I think it made me feel a bit feverish that afternoon, but it sure beats getting tetanus!)

Old 08-31-2004, 06:00 PM   #3
    almondjoy
    (female)

almondjoy HB User
    Re: Tetanus Shot question

Yes, you are right. The pain of the shot is a lot easier to deal with than the pain of the disease. I called the doctor's office and they said even 4 days later, after the wound, a tetanus shot will prevent tetanus. So, I got the shot.

thanks.

Closed Thread