It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• GRRRRR Always thirsty

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2004, 08:22 PM   #1
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User
    GRRRRR Always thirsty

I don't know why, but lately I've been really thirsty. It first started when I went on Paxil, but it went away for a few weeks. Now it seems to be back with avengence! I drink about 16 glasses of water a day, and I'm still thirsty!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 08:25 PM   #2
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
    Re: GRRRRR Always thirsty

I did that when I was on Effexor and I could not get enough water. It was a side effect and I had to get off of it. I also got so over heated so fast no matter what I was doing rather it was folding laundry or doing dishes. You might need to switch. Or you might want to be checked for diabetes.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:28 PM   #3
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

I recently went to the er and they checked me for diabetes and my sugar was low. After some of my other symptoms my doctor diagnosed me w/hypoglycemia.

I've been thinking about going off the paxil due to other side effects like jaw clenching and nervousness. I just worry if I switch meds I'll have more side effects... :/

Old 09-30-2004, 08:32 PM   #4
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

Have them switch you to something else along the lines of Paxil. I am on Lexapro and I love it. I am not thirsty or sweaty anymore. Are you making sure your eating the right stuff? How about taking a vitamin daily? That seemed to help me alot too.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:35 PM   #5
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

What's lexapro like? I've been thinking about switching but want to wait till I can get in with my doctor to discuss my options. I am on Paxil for anxiety. I try to eat right because I'm anemic and my mom calls me every day at college to check up on what I am eating! LOL (Gotta love moms!!! )

Old 09-30-2004, 08:43 PM   #6
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

Lexapro is nice. I haven't had any side effects at all! I took Effexor XR too but that was the one I got real thirsty on and sweaty. I hated feeling that way. If your enemic and hypoglycemic shouldn't you be on a vitamin or a certain diet? I would think you should be. I'd keep an eye on your sugar with being thirst and let your doctor know that right away. You don't have any other side effects do you? I just don't want you to be alone and then pass out from being diabetic thinking it was a side effect from Paxil. I would leave a message with your doctor tomorrow and let her know and tell her about your hypogycemia and anemia. Ask her about vitamins. Also try gatorade, it has electrolytes your body may need.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:04 PM   #7
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

Well when I first started Paxil (in mid May) I had really bad diarrhea for about 3 months. But that is pretty much gone for the most part.

I'm on a really high dose of Iron (it works out to about 400% daily intake) but I always have a hard time taking it.

My doctor always advises me to drink gatorade because drinking so much water can make you lose electorlites and last time my potassium was checked it was low.

I'm going to call her tomorrow, and I hope she calls me back. I called her last week and she never called back

I'll have to ask her about lexopro... she was going to put me on zoloft at one point, but decided to keep me on paxil instead

I'll have to ask her about the lexapro.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:12 PM   #8
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

I don't know where my post went but I will repost this one again. Let me try and think what I wrote. lol I like lexapro alot, I was on Effexor and thats the one that made me thirsty and over heated. You should call your doctor and let her know about your hypoglycemia and anemia. Ask her about taking a multi vitamin and a diet that is right for you. It sounds like you could get dehydrated easily so be very careful. I would double check for diabetes though if it's not a side effect of Paxil.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:16 PM   #9
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

She was the one that diagnosed me with hypoglycemia as well as the anemia. She put me on a diabetic diet to aviod having problems with diabetes later in life.

In some ways I would really like to go in and see her, but the last time I was in the other doctor made a comment about how many times I had been in during the summer and it made me paranoid that I was a hypocondriact or she thought I was crazy.. :/ But lately I've been having pain in my ear (probably caused by the jaw clenching) nausea, headache, fatigue, extreme thirst like I said, and dizziness (to the point where I feel like I might pass out.. which is what tipped me off to the panic attacks in the first place.. I've passed out like 30 times in my life! )

Last edited by twizliz; 09-30-2004 at 09:17 PM.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:17 PM   #10
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

Duh! I found my post. I'm retarded sometimes. hahaha She should be calling you back within twenty four hours. Iron should stop your diareha. It really sounds like side effects to me. Lexapro is for depression and anxiety so was Effexor. Any meds can have side effects so finding the one that works for you is ok. You can wean off of one while starting the other one so you don't come "down". So girl, if the doctor told you to drink gatorade then you need to go get some silly! I hope she gets you on the right track. Keep me posted.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:18 PM   #11
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

Hehe.. we must have been posting at the same time!

Old 09-30-2004, 09:21 PM   #12
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

Don't let them make you feel paranoid either! They are not perfect and if they don't like that your diagnosis may not be right then oh well, that's their job and they get top bucks for it. Let her know you you feel uncomfortable coming in so much. She probably won't care and say its ok. It's your health. IS this a Family Doctor? And for hypoglycemia were you tested properly, not eating for 12 hours or more? You may want to see a phyciatrist who deal with meds for mental health only \.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:22 PM   #13
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

I guess we are! hahahaha

Old 09-30-2004, 09:28 PM   #14
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

I didn't do the 12 hour test which my mother wants them to do. The doctor just concluded that I was hypo because of the fainting and dizziness. And that one time at the ER when my sugar was low.

She is my family doctor, I have been going to her for 10 years. I love her, she is like an aunt to me...she is awesome. But the other doctor that I go to on occasion is real uptight and was the one that said I had been going there a lot.

Old 10-01-2004, 08:57 PM   #15
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

My doctor called me back today and she's switching me to lexapro

Closed Thread