It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• fever blister question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2004, 11:04 PM   #1
    WB

WB HB User
    fever blister question

Hi I have a question regarding Fever blister.I heard that they are contatiouse and are a type 2 herpes. Is this correct, and how can someone treat it.

Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2004, 11:21 PM   #2
    bharkins
    Veteran
    (female)

bharkins HB User
    Re: fever blister question

Yes, fever blisters or cold sores are caused by a herpes virus. There are over the counter medications that you can use for the treatment of fever blisters. I know of an old home remedy where you can use a moistened tea bag and place it on the sore every hour.

Old 10-11-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Just to add.....the are HIGHLY contagious. There are many herpes viruses, all are contagious, and are recurring. Type 2 is Herpes Simplex of the genitals. Type 2 Simplex can be spread to and in the mouth through oral sex. Type 2 can also invade areas of the hands through an opening in the skin, as well as to other parts of the body (yes, even in the ears and eyes....)

Scary...yes! But many people don't realise just how easily transmitted it is.

There are a few over the counter meds that might help reduce pain and length of outbreak. There is no cure, and once you have it....it's life-long.

I suggest you see a doctor and get the appropriate meds....either systemic or topical.

Please be responsible during an outbreak.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 10-11-2004 at 01:05 PM.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:55 AM   #4
    EDC_Light
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

EDC_Light HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy
    Just to add.....the are HIGHLY contagious. There are many herpes viruses, all are contagious, and are recurring. Type 2 is Herpes Simplex of the genitals. Type 2 Simplex can be spread to and in the mouth through oral sex. Type 2 can also invade areas of the hands through an opening in the skin, as well as to other parts of the body (yes, even in the ears and eyes....)

Scary...yes! But many people don't realise just how easily transmitted it is.

There are a few over the counter meds that might help reduce pain and length of outbreak. There is no cure, and once you have it....it's life-long.

I suggest you see a doctor and get the appropriate meds....either systemic or topical.

Please be responsible during an outbreak.

quincy
    Bringing up an old topic.

You meantioned being responsible during an outbreak. I've only had them on my lips [and infrequently]. At what stage are they contagious? If you don't know they are there one day, kiss your spouse, then the next day you can tell that one is about to form, would my spouse be at risk, or is it contagious when you actually have one on your lip?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

From what I've read, the moment they start to when they are completely gone is when they are contagious.

Yes, your spouse would be at risk through contact...unless he has some sort of immunity to it. That would include skin contact as well as sharng glasses, utensils, towels, etc.

Hope this helps...
    quincy

Old 07-13-2005, 12:44 PM   #6
    EDC_Light
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

EDC_Light HB User

FYI, my spouse is a female.

So, if I didn't feel it on my lip yet, then she may not necessarily get it from me?

Another question. If someone is exposed, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll get on right after, correct?

One final question, how different is one that appears on the lip, from one that it inside the lip?

My wife has gotten them inside her mouth before we met, but she just got one that is more on the lip, though still considered 'inside' [it's on the top of her bottom lip].

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-13-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi....OK, again from what I read....firstly, does your wife know for sure if she has herpes? Because, it seems not the norm for them to happen on the cheeks, tongue or inside the lips. That would more than likely be canker sores..but the doctor can take a swab to be sure.

Apparently, not all coldsores have tingles. From the first moment it comes it releases virus ladened cells. of course, there are millions more released during the oozing... so, it would depend on the stage of the coldsore..less in the beginning, more then less again until completely healed.

I've kissed my husband on occasion when he didn't know he had one.

Symptoms can occur anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks...but that's for after the initial exposure. I think the first outbreak can be quite severe.
    I suppose it's possible that your wife may have had canker sores before but now this one is a herpes outbreak.

Canker sores are not the herpes virus, not contagious, and are caused from bacteria, allergy, injury (maybe a bit lip), spicy foods, illness, stress...was she just at the dentist recently?

Herpes can happen inside the mouth, but not on the soft tissue areas..more on the hard palatte or on the gums (I've had sores on my gums on occasion which does seem to follow a nerve route inflammation...which I didn't realise it could be herpes until I read info on coldsores --haven't had the opportunity to have them checked tho)

I get canker sores on the sides of my tongue. They are mighty painful. Orajel for mouth sores works really well on them...maybe that will help your wife's sore.

The only way you'll know for sure if your wife has a cold sore is to get to a clinic or doctor and have it properly swabbed. At least she'll know rather than guess.

I hope this helps.
    quincy

Last edited by quincy; 07-13-2005 at 10:21 PM.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:28 AM   #8
    EDC_Light
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

EDC_Light HB User

Thanks quincy! Yesterday I asked her how it was, and she said it was better. I'm betting it was a canker sore instead of a herpes.

The ones I get every so often [and it is seldom, like one a year, if even that] happen at the border of my lip and face, mostly on the lip part. I use Abreva and it seems to do pretty well, though I do end up with a small scab after a while.

Anyway, thanks for your assistance!

Old 07-14-2005, 06:56 AM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You're welcome....suggest your wife have Orajel for Mouth Sores (specific one) on hand..it has zinc in it as well and really works to help mouth sores of any kind heal quicker.

Take care,
    quincy

Closed Thread