It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• sore throat in airplane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
    annarayne

annarayne HB User
    sore throat in airplane

basically what the title says. is this normal? i'm about to fly back to where i live.. which is a really long flight what happened on the last one is that when we'd go up or down..probably due to pressure changes.. my ears would start to hurt, then it'd go down to my throat and it literally swelled up! it hurt so bad.. i nearly felt like i was going to pass out. i'm wondering if this is ok? i know my ears hurting alittle is normal. i've had that on other previous flights before and so has other family members. but my throat.. oh wow.. felt like my glands were swelling and i could feel bumps on the sides where the glands are. i could barely swallow. eek?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #2
    archergirl

archergirl HB User
    Re: sore throat in airplane

Have you ever tried chewing some gum on the flight? I know that really helps with blocked ears! I've never had a sore throat though! I'm sorry that its so unpleasant for you. You might also want to take some Halls with you, to keep your passages clear! Good luck! Jane

Last edited by msmod; 01-07-2005 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Posting website addresses..even in your signature is againest posting rules.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I dont know whats happening, it helps to make chewing motions and to hold your nose and gently blow
    the air has little humidity and can dry you out

Old 01-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
    annarayne

annarayne HB User

ya, that only slightly helps my ears.. but not my throat. i tried it all lol.. all those little tricks. nothing worked i actually seem to go somewhat deaf for an hour or so afterwards as well, but i think that's only my ears not popping properly.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:35 AM   #5
    Mecpcpj
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mecpcpj HB User

They have air filters in the planes that are supposed to help take all the dust, dirt, etc; from the air because it's constantly being recycled throughout the plane ride. You might be sensitive to the recycled air and maybe even allergic to something in the air (dander or dust maybe?). Also, the air can get really dry since it's always the same supply.

I'm not sure what you could do about it. Maybe just treat it as you would a normal sore throat. Bring some lozengers and something to drink with you. I've even seen people with those medical masks over there mouths on planes before because they don't like the air! That's extreme though.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:18 AM   #6
    archergirl

archergirl HB User

Yes, actually I was on a flight from AZ on Wed and there was a lady with a face mask on. I thought it was strange, but maybe it's to help with the dust?? Also, I think that because the air is recycled -- you can get really sick from other people on the airplane. Do you get a sore throat everytime you fly??

Last edited by msmod; 01-07-2005 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Posting website addresses..even in your signature is againest posting rules.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:44 AM   #7
    annarayne

annarayne HB User

lol.. and that's embarassing it didn't clue in about the recycled air. that's probably it. i don't usually get allergies although one year i caught a huge sinus infection out of nowhere so maybe that is it. probably. egh. i'm about to go another 6 hours on a plane tomorrow morning. at least now i have a better idea. thanks

Old 01-07-2005, 08:48 AM   #8
    annarayne

annarayne HB User

hmm.. i can tell you when i get back in bc archergirl. it's funny you mention getting sick from others because only a few days after i got back i came down with strep throat and leringitis.. at the same time! it hurt so bad. it's gone now though, and i didn't have this before or after the plane.. i'd say about 5 days after. so maybe it was from the plane but i am prone to getting this at any time of the year, even the summer time so its hard to really say.. i did keep my distance from everyone.. especially that weirdo sitting next to me. (weirdo because he was hitting on a girl who is obviously at least 10 years younger or more.. me!) so basically i was just in a corner alone lol.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:42 PM   #9
    annarayne

annarayne HB User

well, i got a sore throat last time as well.... and food poisonning! how lucky huh.. i'm over the food thing though.. although this seems to have stirred up my bronchitis a bit.. i'll get over that too

Old 01-11-2005, 07:01 AM   #10
    polishkittycat

polishkittycat HB User

Hi! Just stumbled across this and since I was a flight attendant for many moons I thought I'd share.
    First of all, although most airplanes have filters, the air in planes is just plain dirty. The air in the cabin, once pressurized doesn't get circulated with the air from the outside due to the fact your are so high up and its about minus 80 degrees outside your window on a sunny day, and, the cabin is pressurized.
    About your sore throat, it could really be due to the fact that in order to keep bacteria from growing on the seat back in front of you, the aircraft is kept cool because there are enough germs already with 200 people coughing at different intervals for 3 hours with minimal filtered air. Even though the air is cool, it is very very very dry. I would get nosebleeds sometimes from this. This may also cause your throat to be very dry and when your throat is dry anything not drenched in saliva seems to hurt when going down eg. breathing, swallowing.. ect. My advice to you would to drink hot tea, suck on a lemon drop and go to Walgreens to get some saline mist to help make sure the mucous membranes are well lubricated. (I am a nurse now and work with doctors, of whom I've asked these questions to.)

Shannon

Old 01-11-2005, 01:09 PM   #11
    annarayne

annarayne HB User

thanks a ton! i don't need to fly again until another 4 months but it's the same lengthy trip back home. i'll keep all your advice in mind! it's very helpful
    in all honesty, i'd rather drive the 2 days then fly the 5-6 hours lol..

Closed Thread