It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Cracks in corner of mouth

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
    sugzey
    (female)

sugzey HB User
    Cracks in corner of mouth

In addition to my mouth peeling inside mostly at night, I have cracks to appear overnight periodically in the corner or corners of my mouth. The cracks will disappear in a couple of days without using any medication on them. I have used Nystatin for the peeling inside the mouth which did not help. I would think that if I had a fungus in my mouth that was making the corners of my mouth crack I would have to use an antifungal cream to get rid of the cracks but they disappear without using medicine. Anyone ever heard of this before?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
    annarayne

annarayne HB User
    Re: Cracks in corner of mouth

i know that if i have a stuffy nose i'm forced to sleep with my mouth open to breathe from it.. normally i breathe from my nose while asleep. but when i breathe from my mouth i get incredibly dry lips and they crack (sometimes bleed). possibly this could be the problem as well? and maybe not.. just a thought though.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #3
    Blue102

Blue102 HB User

I don't know what causes them, but I get them too. I can't keep my fingers away and they stay there forever! (Ick, I know...) I suppose it's either candida (fungus) or an iron deficiency. Maybe an allergy. Do you wear makeup? ---Some things to consider. I'm about going crazy. I want these things to go away. Ugh.....

Old 01-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
    Blue102

Blue102 HB User

Me again... after replying to your post, I got curious and looked Candida up online, and it does affect the lining of the mouth as well. I bet you have Candida. I guess you can control it by avoiding certain foods and whatnot... I'm going to research it more, personally...

Old 01-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #5
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Sugzey,

Regarding the cracks in the corners of your mouth, do some research on a fungal infection called "angular cheilitis"
    I once had this and a dermatologist presecribed an anti-fungal cream. Cleared it up in no time.

Not sure what the peeling inside your mouth is...Candida as another poster mentioned is a possibility.

I wouldn't self-treat this any more, see a dermatologist!

zuzu xx

Old 01-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #6
    anon2239
    (female)

anon2239 HB User

Think I remember years ago a doctor told me it was lack of vitamin B. This was really a long time ago but believe he gave me B12 shot and it cured it.

Old 01-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
    Jenteal
    Inactive
    (female)

Jenteal HB User

My momma had this problem alot. She went to the Dr. for it and was told to take Lysine. She does not get them anymore unless she is realy stressed out like aroun tax time.

Here's some info on it from a site:

Researchers are exploring the value of lysine supplementation and the consumption of lysine-rich foods for lowering cholesterol, improving athletic performance, and enhancing recovery after surgery.

Some nutritionally oriented physicians and dentists recommend taking lysine during an outbreak of canker sores to speed healing. The exact cause of these tiny but quite painful mouth ulcers is unclear, but most research indicates that a virus is responsible. However, there have been almost no clinical trials using lysine as a remedy for canker sores.

The most promising application of lysine is its use in managing and preventing painful and unsightly herpes sores caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV).

Specifically, lysine may help to:

Prevent and relieve cold sores (herpes). Exciting research over the past several decades suggests that lysine may be helpful in controlling herpes simplex-related infections. There are two types of this virus: type 1, which typically causes cold sores or fever blisters around the mouth, and type 2, which tends to cause genital sores. However, both forms can cause eruptions around the mouth or on the genitals. Once infected with the virus, you have it permanently. It may lie dormant, but it doesn't go away. Outbreaks are usually painful and unsightly, as well as contagious.
    A few years ago, researchers discovered that in order to grow (replicate), the herpes virus needs arginine, another common amino acid. (Foods high in arginine include chocolate, peanuts, almonds, seeds, cereal grains, gelatin, and raisins.) Lysine competes with arginine for absorption and entry into tissue cells. And when lysine is present, it inhibits the growth of HSV by knocking out arginine.

This makes a diet high in lysine and low in arginine a useful tool in managing HSV infections. In a recent study, participants consumed large amounts of lysine (about 1 gram three times each day) while restricting food sources of arginine. A significant number of participants (74%) noticed an improvement in their HSV infections and a decrease in the number of outbreaks.

Lysine supplements (as opposed to foods high in this nutrient) can also play an important role in staving off and reducing the severity of herpes-related cold sores. Results of a six-month trial involving more than 50 people indicate that lysine is far more effective than a placebo in preventing cold sores. Participants given a placebo had more than twice as many such infections as those taking lysine. Moreover, the herpes sores that did develop in the lysine group tended to be milder, and to heal faster, than the outbreaks in the placebo group.

Lysine supplements may even prevent HSV outbreaks in chronic sufferers.

Speed healing of shingles lesions. Painful shingles blisters are caused by a reactivation of varicella-zoster virus, an infection that started out as an attack of chickenpox. Herpes zoster is closely related to herpes simplex, however, and lysine appears to have a similar role to play in treating an eruption of shingles. Keep in mind, however, that most nutritionally oriented physicians will combine lysine therapy with conventional antiviral medications such as acyclovir or valacyclovir.

Forms

tablet
    powder
    liquid
    capsule
    Dosage Information

Special tips:

--Of all the amino acids, lysine is the most sensitive to the effects of food processing, such as dry heat. The amount of protein available in legumes and other sources of lysine can be significantly reduced if they have been toasted or roasted.

--Common foods high in lysine include nonfat milk (8 fluid ounces, or 245 grams, contains about 660 mg of lysine) and whole-wheat bread (one slice of wheat bread, or 28 grams, provides 85 mg of lysine).

For canker sores: Take 1,000 mg L-lysine three times a day with meals while a canker sore is present. Reduce the dose to 500 mg three times a day for one week following healing.

For cold sores: Take 1,000 mg L-lysine three times a day with meals for flare-ups. If you are subject to recurrent outbreaks of cold sores, continue on a maintenance dosage of 1,000 mg day.

For shingles: Take 1,000 mg L-lysine three times a day with meals during flare-ups. Reduce the dose to 500 mg three times a day for one week after healing.

Guidelines for Use

For a severe initial outbreak of genital herpes or shingles, see a doctor to confirm that you have the condition and be sure to take one of the prescription antiviral drugs such as acyclovir.

Don't drink milk at the same time you take lysine.

General Interaction

In very large doses (10 to 30 grams a day), lysine increases the toxicity of aminoglycoside antibiotics, such as gentamicin, neomycin, and streptomycin.

Cautions

Side effects are rare with lysine supplements, although a few cases of abdominal cramps and diarrhea have been reported with very high doses (more than 10 grams a day).
    Ailments Dosage
    Canker Sores 500 mg L-lysine 3 times a day
    Cold Sores 1,000 mg L-lysine 3 times a day for flare-ups, then 500 mg a day.
    Shingles 1,000 mg L-lysine 3 times a day during acute stage; to help prevent recurrences, 1,000 mg a day.

Jenteal

Closed Thread