It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Scuba diving and ear problems!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
    rob1963
    (male)

rob1963 HB User
    Scuba diving and ear problems!

Recently I went on a carribean cruise and tried scuba diving for the first time. It was a life long dream of mine. It turned out to be one of the most exciting, breathtaking experiences of my life and I can't wait to do it again. Unfortunately, at a depth of about 20 feet or so, my ears hurt so much I couldn't go any deeper. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the sea life, but my ears were a constant distraction. I'll probably go on another cruise this year (now I'm addicted to cruises) and I'm sure there's another scuba diving excursion on the horizon. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, can you please offer some advice? Thanks. Rob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
    MrHopeful

MrHopeful HB User
    Re: Scuba diving and ear problems!

Did you "equalize" by pinching your nose and blowing air out of your ears during your decension? Air that gets trapped in the ears is what causes the pain. It's just like if you were to take an inflated balloon with you under water. It would want to rise to the top. So, pinch your nose and blow like you're trying to blow your nose. Just don't do it too hard. It's just like when you're on a plane and have that ear popping. This is juts what i recall from friends who have had SCUBA training. If that's not it, check with a doctor to see if you have any inner ear problems.

Good luck.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob1963
    Recently I went on a carribean cruise and tried scuba diving for the first time. It was a life long dream of mine. It turned out to be one of the most exciting, breathtaking experiences of my life and I can't wait to do it again. Unfortunately, at a depth of about 20 feet or so, my ears hurt so much I couldn't go any deeper. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the sea life, but my ears were a constant distraction. I'll probably go on another cruise this year (now I'm addicted to cruises) and I'm sure there's another scuba diving excursion on the horizon. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, can you please offer some advice? Thanks. Rob

Closed Thread