It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• HELP ME! Brain tumour???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
    generalzod1979
    (male)

generalzod1979 HB User
    HELP ME! Brain tumour???

Please help me because I don't know what to do. I'm a 25 year old teacher, male. Ok? Pleeaze help.

About a week ago, I started getting headaches that were specifically concentrated in the left hand side of my head, around by my temple and upwards. However, they're not your typical headaches. They were sharpish and were usually of the 'stabbing variety' so there would be a pause before a second jolt of pain and so on. Admittedly, they weren't particularly painful but more annoying and they varied in their frequency. They would sometimes come and go after fifteen minutes and appeared to respond to painkillers. For instance, I had two "sets" of these headaches in the cinema whilst seeing a film.

But, by the weekend, things were worse as I began to wake up with the damn things. Everyone around me was saying "it's just stress," but, hey, I'm not stressed about anything, and, besides, it isn't that 'kind' of pain. I talked to my pharmacist before giving the NHS medical people a call on Saturday and they suggested it might be worth visiting my opticians to see if I needed stronger glasses. Hmmm.

But, yesterday morning, I thought "bugger this," after waking with another headache. Off I went to the doctor, 9am. She didn't appear to take my complaint particularly seriously, and simply took my blood pressure and examined my eyes. "It sounds like a muscular thing," I was told. Right. Thanks doc. She also suggested a visit to the optician. So, I went to the opticians today and, yes, I do need stronger glasses, but the optician said my eyes were healthy and could find no cause of why headaches would occur.

And now, things are getting a little worse.Whilst I don't feel sick or in any way 'ill,' I do feel a tad dizzy and lethargic throughout the day...The pain comes and go throughout the morning and afternoon but I don't know what to do as I've tried doctor and optician and.... Oh ******, what's wrong with me? I don't want to die yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
    fibrostinks

fibrostinks HB User
    Re: HELP ME! Brain tumour???

Most headaches are due to strain on the muscles in the neck or head, or congestion of the blood vessels which supply them; the brain itself cannot feel pain because it contains no pain receptors. Headache is a common pain and is not often an indication of anything serious. Headaches can be a symptom of anxiety, Stress, physical tension (especially in the back and shoulders), lack of sleep, over-consumption of caffeine in tea or coffee or suddenly cutting down caffeine intake, food Allergy, Eyestrain, Fever, Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar, especially if you have not eaten for some time), Migraine (recurrent one-sided headaches, with nausea, vomiting, and bivisual disturbances), drug side effects (especially if you have started a new drug), Sinusitis (especially after a cold, if there is dull pain or tenderness in the cheeks or around the eyes which gets worse when you bend forwards), Cervical spondylosis (stiff neck, an ache which extends from spine to top of head, headache made worse by lifting, driving, or turning head slowly) and other spinal problems, malocclusion or sepsis after dental treatment (see your dentist), and High blood pressure.

Temporary arteritis (dull, throbbing headache behind one or both temples) is caused by inflammation of the arteries which supply the scalp.

Headaches may be caused by pain-killing drugs taken to relieve them: if you are constantly taking painkillers, stop them under advice from your GP.

Headaches can also be a symptom of damage to the blood vessels in and around the brain itself, or infection of the tissues surrounding the brain and spinal cord. In such cases prompt action and close observation are required.

Where a headache has lasted for several days, seem worse in the mornings, and is accompanied by nausea or vomiting,- high blood pressure, stress, or a brain tumour may be the cause.

Brief sharp pains in the head, often described as "lightning-like" or "electric," usually indicate an irritated nerve, or neuritis. These pains need to be diagnosed and treated by a physician, if persistent.

It is unlikey you have a Brain Tumor. Symptoms of a brain tumor are usually worse in the morning and then get better. Also, Signs usually include clumsiness of one hand, gait changes (stumbling to one side), headache, and vomiting. I dont think you mentioned any of these.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
    annarayne

annarayne HB User

i think you're getting ahead of yourself on this.. and you're starting to panick for nothing. if you weren't stressed before then you definately are now and it's probably why you're still experiencing the headaches. the fact that your headaches respond to pain medication is a good sign i'd say..
    when i was 7 i'd get migraines at least once a week for 4 years. i now get headaches that can last me up to 2 weeks in time. it's not uncommon for headaches to last like this... i think it's called a chronic headache, least it's what i call it.
    if advil is working then use it when it's at its worse. my headaches often aren't the pain kind but more so a numbing pain.. i get all kinds of headaches, but a brain tumor... that's being a little paranoid. if it continues on another week or something, maybe you could go in again to see the doc... but until then just try to take it easy.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
    lexdc1

lexdc1 HB User

The reason why your doctor looked in your eyes is because they can see signs of pressure (caused by tumors) through the eyes. It is wonderful that she didn't see any....it is also wonderful that your eye doctor didn't see any signs of anything wrong. That means that there is no pressure...making a brain tumor highly unlikley. If you had a tumor, they would see some kind of tell through your eyes. Relax. My husband has got recurring headaches and just got a cat scan. His head even buzzed sometimes. But...nothing to worry about. Stress can be a factor even when you least expect it.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

It's probably a migraine or something. Something like more than 95% of these headaches are nothing to worry about. If they get more severe or continue, you probably should ask for a CT scan just to make sure there isn't anything more serious going on. But most likely you don't have anything to worry about.

Closed Thread