It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• please help can barely swallow!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
    cory1113
    (male)

cory1113 HB User
    please help can barely swallow!!

im 19 years old and have been to the emergency room 3 times in the last month and a half. i have had horrible post nasal drip and tonsil stones. i was also told i have bad anxiety. i have been having trouble breathing but they say that is all anxiety, what im really really really scared about though is my throat. everytime i swallow i feel like a clicking in my throat and it is hard to get anything down. the past two months have been the worst 2 months of my life and could not imagine living my whole life like this. i have had cat scans,barium swallow tests,normal x rays,tested for strep,bloodwork....alll said everything was fine, ENT said the same thing...could it be post nasal drip???? the anxiety from this is killing me and i dont know how much longer i can last....sorry for making this so long...someone please reply if they have expierenced the same kind of thing....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 05:03 AM   #2
    AprilPow
    Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
    Re: please help can barely swallow!!

Did they test your thyroid function?

Old 02-15-2005, 05:35 AM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi cory1113. I know it is scary to have this happen. I agree that you should have your thyroid checked, it can cause this kind of feeling in the throat.

Besides having the actual gland examined, have a blood panel done. Ask that they include the Free T3, Free T4 (besides the T3 and T4) and thryroid antibody tests with the tests that are normally done. These are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view. When you get your results, post them on the thyroid board at this site. The people there are wonderful and can help you interpret them. Even if your test results are normal, you still can have a thyroid disorder.

Hang in there okay? You will find out what is wrong.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:49 AM   #4
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

ask your ENT--(or a different one..get a second opinion, please) about "cryptic tonsillitis"---I had never heard of such a thing..until I was diagnosed with it....I was born with large tonsils...never bothered me. To make a long story short..I started choking so easily on everything from my own saliva to food....The ENT felt a tonsillectomy was long over due.....as there was no room for food to go down....

after removing the tonsils...he found that they were FULL of infection...its a silent infection....that would have eventually showed its face...by constant sore throat, being hard to treat........anyway...one of the symptoms (latter stage) of cryptic tonsillitis is that your tonsils can swell so much that it will affect your airway AND can potentially cause you to suffocate to death. So, if doctors arent taking this seriously...keep going til you find one that does listen.....and mention this possibility to them...and tell them that you insist on being checked out for this to make sure that you dont have it, even if they think its not it...its your body...your life...you have the right to be tested for any possibilties...since they cant give you a diagnosis that gives you peace of mind.

one thing to learn...as I see you are young...(I am 32)...doctors do not know as much as we would like to give them credit for....for example: I took my daughter to the dr...(I have been through this numerous times, so I KNEW what the diagnosis was)...for a sinus infection......the dr told me that it was JUST a virus...I then told her that she was blowing out yellow and green snot..sorry if TMI)...she then said..."well....not a virus after all, its a sinus infection!!"--well, duh!!!

I had another dr tell me that yellow/green snot is not an infection...its pollen...the color of pollen is yellow/green...and there was alot of pollen in the air...and my daughter was breathing in the pollen..therefore changing the color of her mucous....I took her to her allergist..as I knew it was an infection...told them of the dr's "diagnosis"--and they just busted out laughing!

I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago for bronchitis...I knew thats what it was...she told me it was a "virus" and should last only another 3-4 more days...(meaning, I was on my way to getting better)..she gave me an rx for antibiotics to take IF I wasnt better within that 3-4 days...BUT the kicker was...she prescribed me an expensive decongestant...of which I didnt get once I found out the price...I thought it was ludicrous to pay that kind of money for a decongestant...when it was just a virus and I was "on my way to getting better within 3-4 days"!!!!

My youngest (now 11) was REAL sick when she was 3 years old. Her throat was sooo sore and sooo swollen...her neck was even swelled around her throat area. She ran a fever of 104---(sign of infection).....I took her to the dr 4 times that week (a pediatrician)...as she was not eating or drinking a thing...I even bought her a baby bottle TRYING to get her to drink water...but it didnt work.....they done blood work, etc...findings???? they guessed it to be A VIRUS!!! The weekend passed, still wasnt better...by now, she had run a temp of 104 for 7 days...I called on Monday to tell them that she wasnt any better, was still not eating, drinking, etc...they "didnt have time to see her"---BOY WAS I MAD!!!! I threw a fit, and told them that if they didnt have time to see her knowing she was that sick...that I would find a dr that would---and I did!! I took her to an urgent care center....the dr took one look at her and her throat and said..."the diagnosis is truly not the important issue at hand...this child needs to be on antibiotics and should have been on them a long time ago....she is very sick...and if she vomits just a tad bit, or has any slight amount of diarrhea..take her to the ER immediately, as she is not far from becoming dehydrated!!!" They gave her a shot of Penicillin....my baby was 75% better the next day!!!!

point is....dont ever assume that the doctors are always right...if you feel uncomfortable with their "findings"...tell them...insist on further tests...or get a second opinion. good luck.

Last edited by ladybug8372; 02-15-2005 at 06:52 AM.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
    cory1113
    (male)

cory1113 HB User

think you all for the help...i have had the thyroid test done but they said it was fine. my ENT told me i need to have my tonsils takin out cause of the tonsil stones but he said that it shouldnt give me any problem swallowing....i honestly think it is for the most part my anxiety...i have HORRIBLE anxiety, every single day i have atleast one panic attack..which is a living hell....and i have constant anxiety...and when it gets bad my throat starts trobbing and feels like strained almost and all of my thoughts go to my throat and stay there.is anxiety even a possiblity? thank you all though i will take up on your advice.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:14 AM   #6
    AprilPow
    Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

anxiety is a symptom of thyroid problem, especially if you have a goiter.

Can you find out your actual results?? There is the TSH and they might have run with T3 or T4. If you can get those numbers.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:55 AM   #7
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Cory1113 as April said, anxiety can be a thyroid disorder symptom. Please get the tests mentioned done and post your results with the lab ranges on the thyroid board. Even if they tell you the tests are fine or normal, they may not be for you.

Closed Thread