It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• TOo much Afrin??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
    elegantbeauty12
    (female)

elegantbeauty12 HB User
    TOo much Afrin??

i have this very bad congestion since like 5 months ago and i always use afrin when ever i have a congestion. I thought it was a cold , so i used it. But my congestion didn't get any better and i kept on using it. And now i have JUst found out that Afrin is bad for u if u use it for more than 5 days.
    I am scared that i have messed up my nose and i will never be able to breath normally again. I am planing to go to a doctor soon but will i have to get some kind of surgery? And is my name permantly messed up now? God i am so paranoid now and its scaring me. I would of thought that the afrin people would atleast mention it in bold letter "DON'T USE MORE THAN 5 DAYS OR ELSE U WILL HAVE CRONIC CONGESTION" .
    can someone tell me that my nose is okie?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: TOo much Afrin??

Sounds like you are having "rebound cosnjestion" due to using Afrin. It will be tough, but, do not use Afrin and let it clear on it's own. Your nose will be more conjested for a while but getting off Afrin will be better for you.

Try irrigating sinuses with saline solution. This helps to clean out sinuses and relieve conjestion. The relief from conjestion will not be immediate as it is with Afrin, but it does work over time.

In other words sounds like you are addicted to Afrin and suffering from rebound effects.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

you are only supposed to use afrin in this manner....3 days on...3 days off....this is to help avoid addiction. please do whatever you have to..to get off of it. as another poster suggested...try saline nasal spray---its just salt water...so its not something else that you could get addicted to and get hurt by it.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:08 AM   #4
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Beauty, I seriously doubt that you have done any long-lasting damage to your nose. And, no, you won't need surgery. So, try to relax a little, okay?

The problem with using Afrin long-term (as others have told you) is that when you stop using it, you will have "rebound" congestion - ie a stuffy nose. This is uncomfortable but not serious. If you are using alot of Afrin, tapering yourself off might be easier on you than quitting cold-turkey. For instance, if you are using 2 sprays in each nostril twice a day, try going to 1 spray each side twice a day, then 1 spray once a day, then off.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:29 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

A really great saline/salt solution is one called "Ocean"?it will work wonders for you as you go through the rebounding while trying to stop the Afrin.Marcia

Old 02-16-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
    hillaryb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hillaryb HB User

You can taper in a different way too. I read about a kit to help you get off afrin, and you dont have to pay 50 bucks to do it like in the kit. Basically you dilute your afrin with water. Start off with maybe 2/3 afrin, 1/3 water in a small spray bottle, and work your way down to using less and less afrin. Im not sure what the time frame is for doing this (I did it years ago) but I remember gradually working my way down to 1/4 afrin, 3/4 water (or saline) and only using it before bed.

This way you avoid the torturous rebound congestion,while weaning off. Rebound congestion is ten times worse than my worst cold, or allergies. I would go crazy trying to quit cold turkey. My sinuses would plug up completely and my nose would run. It was awful. Gradually diluting the afrin more and more worked like a charm! I wish someone had told me about this sooner. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
    elegantbeauty12
    (female)

elegantbeauty12 HB User

so far i lived woth out it for almost a day but i haven't had bad congestion just one of those congestions when one nostril is congestion and the other one isn't sorta thing. Do i still have to taper off of it with saline anyway ?

Old 02-17-2005, 05:48 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just wanted to mention to you.if you start to have congestion problems and cannot breathe through your nose well when you go to sleep at night(I always used to get this at night)Try using those 'breathe right"strips?God, i just love them!I have constant congestion in one side of my nose due in part to a spinal cord injury and could not breathe through either side at night til I started using those strips.They work really really well.I have the congestion during the day as i really don't want to run around with one of those strips during the day, but boy when I put one on at night, i can breathe SO much better while I sleep as both sides stay open and clear.If you do try this, please buy the ones for sensitive skin as the regular ones stick wayyyy to well and when you go to take them off, it feels like you are actually ripping off an entire layer of your skin.The sensitive ones still stick really well and are not as bad when you remove them.These have really helped me alot.I will probably have to use them forever as my reason for congestion is permanent but you might only need to use these until things return to normal again.Please also try that Ocean nasal spray it really does work well with absolutely no side effects and is very simple to use.Marcia

Old 02-17-2005, 08:56 AM   #9
    hillaryb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hillaryb HB User

I cant breathe well out of one nostril, and one day I took a peek and I have a horrible deviated septum! Grrrr. That nostril is 1/3 the size of my other. This stinks.

Last edited by hillaryb; 02-17-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Closed Thread