It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• fatigue & brainfog & beyond

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
    xdefineit
    (female)

xdefineit HB User
    fatigue & brainfog & beyond

I am a 17 year old female with several questions. For starters several years ago while on a physical examination for sports I was told I have a high heart rate(it ranged from 140-160), it has been consitantly that high since then, at that point they also told me it was irregular/a murmer. I had no further checkups.

Over the past year-two years I've had severe fatigue as well as brain fog. I can sleep for twelve+ hours and go to bed just a few hours after. Not to mention falling alseep right after working out, and right after dinner. No amount of food nor change in my diet has helped these factors. Currently I am vegan, I have been a long time vegetarian, but I've tried adding in things and no positive effect was had other than it was hard on my digestion process. I eat a very nutrient dense diet in comparision to most people out there! I've tried adding in b12, increasing iron, taking Omega 3's, no luck. I've also tried doubling my intake of food for the past month as some believe I wasn't eating enough and it was of no help, though it did tack on 5-7 pounds(or was that the extra working out I've tried doing this month?) For some reason I believe the reason I am sick currently is due to the working out this past month, as I've not worked out in quite a long time due to lack of energy. I cannot focus for more than five minutes, and I certainly cannot sleep for less than eight hours. This past summer I had a bruise/cut and it took several months to heal up. Recently though I've went iceskating and had severely bruised knees, which only took a week to heal up (no cut?) I also have what I would consider brittle fingernails, and also excessive thirst.

I haven't been sick in nearly two years but recently I've developed what I believe is bronchitis. When I did get sick in the past, though, it was always Pharyngitis. Lets just say this bronchitis, or whatever it may be, is not helping the fatigue. I can honestly barely move out of bed, let alone hold anything heavier than a cup.

I am just wondering what all of you think it might be, you all seem pretty informed. I'm just so completely exhausted all of the time and I don't know why. Any help you can give is appriciated. Any questions you have for me I will answer as well.

Last edited by xdefineit; 03-01-2005 at 12:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: fatigue & brainfog & beyond

Sounds like you are experiencing the same respiratory bug many of us have had.

I strongly advise getting checked out by a physician in order to rule out heart problems, diabetes and other health issues that may be causing your fatigue.

Do not let the bronchitis go very long before seeing a physician for proper medication. With your other symptoms I hesitate to suggest things to helpl the respiratory bug, a doctor will know best.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
    xdefineit
    (female)

xdefineit HB User

I will consider seeing the doctor if it worsens anymore, thanks.

Any other ideas on the other problems I've been having?

Old 03-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
    scaredincollege

scaredincollege HB User

how long have you had these symptoms? The way you describe sounds like hypothyroidism. When I was in high school I had hyperthyroidism with the rapid heart beat and all but now I have hypothyroidism and am always tired. It also causes dry skin, wieght gain, feeling of being cold, among other things. You an get a blood test done to find out.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I agree, get your thyroid checked!!

Old 03-02-2005, 03:25 PM   #6
    LuvMyLilDoggie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

That's the exact same thing I was thinking. Thyroid.

Please don't wait for your symptoms to get worse before you see the doctor. The longer you wait, the worse it will get. You probably already know this. If it is your thyroid that's causing this, a simple pill a day can make the difference between a good, healthy life and death.

Whatever it is that's causing you to be sick is not getting better on it's own. Why should you go through all that you're going through when you can find out what's going on and have it fixed?

There are so many things that can cause the symptoms you're discribing. Thyroid is only one posibility. If I may make a couple of suggestions, do a search on thyroid gland, adrenal glands and diabetes. Cross reference your symptoms with those listed on the sites. See your doctor. Request a blood test to check the adrenal glands and thyroid as many doctors don't check that right away and it's a simple blood test.

I don't mean to scare you or anything but the symptoms you're discribing are very serious. Please don't take them lightly.

Wishing you well.

Barb

Old 03-03-2005, 05:49 AM   #7
    millpark26
    Veteran
    (male)

millpark26 HB User

xdefineit ~
    Do you drink diet sodas or eat things w/ Nutrasweet (aka, aspartame) in it? I suspect being a 17 y.o. female that you might.

Anyway, you could have a diagnosable medical condition, however, you might also be suffering from aspertame toxicity. It affected me so I know the symptoms are real. Some of the common symptoms include:

Rapid Heart Beat, Tachycardia (frequent NutraSweet reaction)
    Memory Loss / Brain fog (common Nutrasweet toxicity effects)
    Chronic Fatigue
    Panic Attacks (common aspartame toxicity reaction)
    Dizziness
    Tremors
    Migraines and Severe Headaches (Trigger or Cause From Chronic Intake)
    Slurring of Speech
    Numbness or Tingling of Extremities
    Depression
    Insomnia
    Irritability
    Marked Personality Changes
    Phobias
    Asthmatic Reactions
    Chest Pains
    Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
    Nausea or Vomiting
    Diarrhea
    Abdominal Pain
    Swallowing Pain
    Itching
    Hives (Urticaria)
    Other Allergic-Like Reactions
    Blood Sugar Control Problems (Hypoglycemia or Hyperglycemia)
    Menstrual Problems or Changes
    Impotency and Sexual Problems
    Craving for Food
    Weight Gain
    Hair Loss (Baldness) or Thinning of Hair
    Burning Urination
    Excessive Thirst or Hunger
    Bloating, Edema (Fluid Retention)
    Infection Susceptibility
    Joint Pains
    Brain Cancer (Pre-approval studies in animals)
    Seizures and Convulsions
    Death

Old 03-03-2005, 07:39 AM   #8
    LuvMyLilDoggie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

millpark,

Very good information there. I had no idea aspertame can cause so many problems. It's interesting to note that many of those symptoms you've listed I had experienced before being diagnosed hypothyroid. And since the thyroid sits just below the adam's apple, I would be interested to know if the pain while swallowing was in that area.

The thyroid effects every cell in the body so I can't help but wonder if aspertame has an adverse effect on it.

Thanks!

Barb

Old 03-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
    susan62

susan62 HB User

This is the exact problem my sister had 1 and 1/2 years ago and it was her thyroid only she had Graves's disease a very overactive thyroid. She was so tired and it was because her resting heart rate was 110 while sleeping its as tho you are running a marathon race without moving ,.Dont let the name scare you it is very treatable it also speads the metabolism so your body does not get to utilize the food in a proper way. Be sure and get tested for this cos untreated can cause alot of problems.Susan

Old 03-03-2005, 01:16 PM   #10
    indy gal

indy gal HB User

I agree with the thyroid check being a good idea. However, you might also want to get your blood sugar checked, because a few of the things you mentioned having are typical diabetis symptoms:

Frequent urination
    Excessive thirst
    Unexplained weight loss
    Extreme hunger
    Sudden vision changes
    Tingling or numbness in hands or feet
    Feeling very tired much of the time
    Very dry skin
    Sores that are slow to heal
    More infections than usual.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #11
    xdefineit
    (female)

xdefineit HB User

Millpark- Actually, I don't drink any soda, and I have not since I was approximatley 11 or so. And I do not use anything with artificial sweetners(aspartame) as I'm very aware of the effects, but thanks!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by millpark26
    xdefineit ~
    Do you drink diet sodas or eat things w/ Nutrasweet (aka, aspartame) in it? I suspect being a 17 y.o. female that you might.

Anyway, you could have a diagnosable medical condition, however, you might also be suffering from aspertame toxicity. It affected me so I know the symptoms are real. Some of the common symptoms include:

Rapid Heart Beat, Tachycardia (frequent NutraSweet reaction)
    Memory Loss / Brain fog (common Nutrasweet toxicity effects)
    Chronic Fatigue
    Panic Attacks (common aspartame toxicity reaction)
    Dizziness
    Tremors
    Migraines and Severe Headaches (Trigger or Cause From Chronic Intake)
    Slurring of Speech
    Numbness or Tingling of Extremities
    Depression
    Insomnia
    Irritability
    Marked Personality Changes
    Phobias
    Asthmatic Reactions
    Chest Pains
    Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
    Nausea or Vomiting
    Diarrhea
    Abdominal Pain
    Swallowing Pain
    Itching
    Hives (Urticaria)
    Other Allergic-Like Reactions
    Blood Sugar Control Problems (Hypoglycemia or Hyperglycemia)
    Menstrual Problems or Changes
    Impotency and Sexual Problems
    Craving for Food
    Weight Gain
    Hair Loss (Baldness) or Thinning of Hair
    Burning Urination
    Excessive Thirst or Hunger
    Bloating, Edema (Fluid Retention)
    Infection Susceptibility
    Joint Pains
    Brain Cancer (Pre-approval studies in animals)
    Seizures and Convulsions
    Death

Old 03-03-2005, 02:21 PM   #12
    xdefineit
    (female)

xdefineit HB User

Susan, It seems to me like it's very likely this is a thyroid problem, however my moms mother did have diabetes so I'm assuming that is propable as well. What exactly are thyroid tests like? Anything other than blood tests? I've never had even blood drawn and I'm quite afraid but I can deal with that but not with anything worse..

Old 03-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #13
    LuvMyLilDoggie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xdefineit
    Susan, It seems to me like it's very likely this is a thyroid problem, however my moms mother did have diabetes so I'm assuming that is propable as well. What exactly are thyroid tests like? Anything other than blood tests? I've never had even blood drawn and I'm quite afraid but I can deal with that but not with anything worse..
    Hi xdefineit. I hope you don't mind me answering this. I have thyroid problems and have had many blood tests done for it. Right now, I have to have my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) checked every 6-8 weeks. I have to have that done until my TSH is within the normal range.

There really is nothing to the test. They draw a little blood and they can test for many things from that little bit of blood. Don't worry about it. It just takes a few seconds.

Barb

Old 03-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #14
    Ron

Ron HB User
    Re: fatigue & brainfog & beyond (Required reading)

Hi All,

Aftr reading the list of symptoms posted for aspartame, I could not resist
    passing on the hint that it sounds incredibly similar to those of Lyme Disease.

I did a search on lyme disease on this site and one of the links is below.
    There are other links to read and one of them should contain the actual list of symptoms. Some of the articles also have links to lyme websites.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-69298.html

Old 03-17-2005, 11:24 AM   #15
    susan62

susan62 HB User

xdefinate, sorry it took me so long to answer but the thyroid tests are easily done blood draw,or you maybe given an isotope and then xray or scanned at least thats what my sister had with graves let us know what you find out.Susan

Closed Thread