It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Can one doctor talk to another about you?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
    missmel3315
    (female)

missmel3315 HB User
    Exclamation Can one doctor talk to another about you?

This is my first post here so I am not quite sure where to post this question. I have been seeing a doctor in the hopes of figuring out why I am having leg pain/swelling ect. This doctor while he has treated my pain always had made me feel like a terrible person as he handed me my pain medication (hydrocodone). I had finally had enough of his treatment and decided to switch to another GP in the hopes of 1. not being treated poorly and 2. that this new doctor would be dedicated to finding out why i am having problems.

Here is where the question lies. This second doctor is worse than the first. He accused me today of being a drug seeker. Mind you I have NOT asked him to refill my pain meds as I have some from the old doctor and don't need any yet. I did ask him to fill a regular script as it is a maintainence med to which he refused. When I went to see him today as to why he said I was a drug seeker and "had a perscription drug problem" NEVER have I ever exhibited any type of such behavior.

This second doctor said I should go back to the first doc and that he would call him to refer me back. I told doctor #2 to NOT call doctor #1 as I would take care of that. He said he wasn't going to call but I am worried that he will and that doctor #1 will be upset and dump me as well. Mind you I live in a small town so word gets around fast. I am wondering if Doctor #2 can do this without breaking patient/doctor confidentiality. My husband heard me specifically say for doctor #2 NOT to call. So again I ask can this doctor do this?? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
    Piranna65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Piranna65 HB User
    Re: Can one doctor talk to another about you?

The only thing that should be transfered from doctor office to doctor office is your medical files. Other then that there should be no discussion without your premission. It's considered Negligance and Invasioin of Privacy if they are caught discussing these things you havent given concent to share.

So by law NO he cannot call your prior doctor and tell him this or that about you...and if he does i'd threaten a lawsuit or something

Old 03-01-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
    missmel3315
    (female)

missmel3315 HB User

Thanks for your quick response. I didn't think he could talk to the first doc. His sole intent is to tell him that I am a "drug seeker". My first doc is always so petrified about any meds and is always screaming about the DEA. It was just driving me batty. Be that as it may I have to go back to him as I have no other doctor to go to right now and if he found out that I saw another doctor he is going to be VERY upset. It is scaring the bejesus out of me that he is going to find out and then HE wont even treat me either. UGH this is just such a huge mess!

Old 03-02-2005, 12:06 AM   #4
    Kite

Kite HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Can one doctor talk to another about you?

Ive had very similar experiences with doctors in the past, one doctor accused me of lying about my sleep problems, one actually called me a wuss because I wasnt able to swallow a huge pill he gave me (and I was only 15 at the time). The others have just been completely incompetent, making stupid mistakes and causing more pain than I had to begin with. In my entire life I dont think going to a doctor has ever done me any good. Im sure there are some good doctors out there but I havnt found one yet. Btw, you’re not in the UK are you? Ive always thought it was just British doctors that were like this.

Old 03-02-2005, 03:57 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I am not sure about the legalities of this if doc # one was going to tell doc number two that you 'may" be just seeing him to get drugs,even though you were not.I really think your best bet here would be to contact the AMA in your state to get the facts here on what can and cannot be given out from one doc to another.With the new HIPPA laws in effect now, i would think that this would be a no no,but I cannot say for sure,so to really get the info that you are seeking, the AMA would definitely be on top of this and able to tell you for sure.I also just wanted to mention to you that when you see any doc about pain the better you can document your pain for him the more likely that you will be given the appropriate meds or treatment.I have many many pain issues stemming from a spinal cord injury and even before that when i was dealing with some very nasty pain caused by my herniated discs,when I would see my doc, i made sure to fully explain myself as to pain and the levels and what it was keeping me from doing in my life.I also took the time one day to find and copy a little diagram outline of a human body form?and made several copies of it and before every appt, I would go through and mark the most painful areas and explain just what kind of pain i was having in any given area and also rate it on a scale of one to ten.I would give this to my doc at the beginning of my appt so we could discuss it and he would place it in my file.now, i have just taken care of a very important and usually time consuming step for my doc.i have just documented my need for pain medication for him.The DEA is satisfied and his butt is covered.You know?Now since my spinal cord injury and allllll of the damage and pain syndromes it has caused, this step really helps me keep track of the ungodly bizarre symptoms and pain I am having in many many different areas.and my pain doc knows just what needs the most attention.

sorry to get off track there but just wanted to let you know that the better you can explain and document your pain to your doc, the better tretment you will recieve(something to note for future visits)?i really think your best bet here is to contact the AMA and find out just where you stand,and also ask them just what your next step should be here.Is it possible to go to another town for a doc?i really think you need to start over with a brand new doc and lay everything on the table with regard to what has happened and how you are feeling like you are being kinda blackballed from getting the proper care as these two docs really screwed things up for you.the more open and honest you can be with a brand new doc, raise your chances of being treated appropriately.Just tell him or her that you need help and you just want your life back,and not be made to feel like you are some kind of criminal.You really do not have to put up with this kind of crap.good luck and keep me posted.Marcia

Old 03-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #6
    scaredincollege

scaredincollege HB User

the only way a doctor can give out patient information to another medical professional is if you sign a release of records form and that is it. All that the doctor can give is the records IF you sign that form. If no form was signed then the law was broken.

Closed Thread