It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Has anyone had appendicitis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
    Fullfire
    Inactive
    (female)

Fullfire HB User
    Question Has anyone had appendicitis?

If anyone has had it could you please tell me what you felt like. Thankyou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had appendicitis?

Well it's different for everyone. Some have extreme pain in their lower right side (like next to their hip bone) Some have pain accross their entire stomach, some even have pain that raidiates to their back. Some get fevers and some actually get physically sick to their stomachs. The pain is pretty severe.

Old 03-02-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
    effected_orchid
    (female)

effected_orchid HB User

can it come and go...I guess i mean can you have flare up of pain and being sick and then it goes away and if so how do you check it out?

Old 03-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
    Piranna65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Piranna65 HB User

well your suppose to stick clear of milk of magnesia! My sister had extreme pain, was brought into the doc they told her to take milk of magnesia they thought it was constipation!? She would throw up everything once she took it! Then once it popped the pain went away for a while but by the end of the day the pain was back and she had to have an emergency removal! So it is easily mis-diagnosed the docs told my parents...

And yes it can focus on the side or in your lower back area of the right side too. But it can be hard to tell if its your whole stomach...

Old 03-02-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
    washee

washee HB User

Do you have increased temperature? Nausea? Vomiting? Yes is can go away briefly but always comes back, usually worse.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
    Border3899
    (female)

Border3899 HB User

I'll tell you my horrible expirience. I went to the doctor about 3 years ago with symptoms of a bladder infection, however, pain in my lower left back like kidney pain. Doctors thought kidney infection, however, IVP (specific test for kidney XRAY'S). Showed nothing. I was in very bad pain doctor prescribed some NSAIDS to get me through the night. Went back next day and had all sorts of tests run. They were still thinking Kidney infection. Still taking the antibiotics they prescribed, pain wasnt getting better was getting worse and i started throwing up and having diarrea. They gave me a pain killer and anti nausea med, told me to go back next day. Went back next day and they drew blood. Blood work showed one kidney function test was very low, but they figured it was from dehydration so they sent me to the hospital for IV fluids. Now college is finished for the year so i tranfer all my records back home, still taking pain killers because it's all that worked for the pain. After taking pain killers for three months due to pain i walked into my home town clinic after they tried treating me and demanded to see a general surgeon (after they had found nothing wrong and kept giving me pain killers). The general surgeon came in to see me and said i could have a CAT scan done or lapriscopic surgery done to see if they could figure out the problem. Told him i already had a CAT scan it showed nothing. He said well I'll see you for surgery tomorrow morning, we'll go in and look around my i'm almost positive it's your appendix. Went into surgery that morning and felt horrible, came out and felt great! Turns out i had an appendicitis attack at the same time as the "kidney infection" and it kept putting pressure on my kidney. Took my appendix out and i had no more problems. Yes this went on for well over 4 months because none of the tests showed it was my appendix, but finally one doctor realized it was my appendix. Sooooooo there are many symptoms, and sometimes it will not show up on tests. I happened to be very lucky that mine never burst over the course of months. Had the surgeon not scheduled me for exploritory surgery it probably would have ruptured and i would have been in much worse shape. Instead i was out of the hospital in a day!

Old 03-03-2005, 03:16 AM   #7
    poppydad0
    (female)

poppydad0 HB User

Mine started as a very sudden severe pain just under my breast bone (where you'd expect to get heartburn). The next day it had moved to my entire abdomen. It also hurt more when I went to the loo. The pain was INTENSE, the worst I've ever experienced. But mine was at a weird time, it started two nights after my dad died suddenly and I basically refused to go to hospital until after his funeral so I almost left it too long. I felt extremely sick too but the pain was unbelievable for about four days. When I had it out it was suppurating so it was only just in time. The recovery is pretty tough too.

But yes it can grumble on and off. I'd had a low grade fever and been feeling generally unwell for almost a year. All the symptoms stopped after I had the appendix out so I think it was that.

Don't mess with it though, you will know if you have it. I knew from the intensity of the pain that it was something serious.

Old 03-03-2005, 04:22 AM   #8
    millpark26
    Veteran
    (male)

millpark26 HB User

In all honesty, mine went on over the course of 15 years! UGH! About twice a year, I'd get bouts of severe stomach cramping...diarreah (sp?), vomiting. It would last for about 24-48 hours so I just attributed it to some sort of stomach flu, etc. Finally, one time I simply got tired of the pain and went to the emergancy room. My pain wasn't any worse this time (but I think my tolerance of it wasn't as high as usual) and they discovered it was my appendix. Had it out and have never had a bit of trouble since.

Old 03-03-2005, 05:55 AM   #9
    AprilPow
    Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

For me, I woke up in the middle of the night and it felt like I had gotten punched in the stomach, but the pain wouldn't go away. Then it did! I finally went back to sleep. Woke up in the morning. I wasn't in terrible pain but I still felt a lot of pressure in my abdomen. And it hurt to push in the lower right side of it.

I really didn't think it was my appendix but it was. Pain for me actually almost went away by the time I got to the emergency room and tested. I felt like a jerk and couldn't wait to leave b/c I thought I just had bad gas. Was very surprsied when he came in and said I had appendicitis.

April

Closed Thread