It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• are these symtoms of anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #1
    chickenx5
    (male)

chickenx5 HB User
    are these symtoms of anxiety?

1. I sometimes get the electric shock feeling anywhere on my head.

2. My ear is sometimes muffled.

3. My ear rings a lot.

4. I sometimes feel like things around me are fake and sometimes i get quick attacks where i feel liek im going to faint and everything around me feels REALLY fake.

5. Symtoms number 4 always gets worse when im tired or in crowded places that have a lot of noise, also, if im not thinking about it i always feel great and nothing seams fake.

6. I almost always don't have symtoms 4 if im riding my bike or motorcycle or if im enjoying myself and not thinking about it because i seam to be always thinking about. Idon't think i have it while i ride my bike becuase its taking my mind off of the anxiety

7. I have OCD

8. I am almsot always nervous other than times says in symptom 6

9. This always happens when im in PE and i can do anything because im freaked out that im gonna pass out from what i think are panic attacks as said in past symptoms.

10. What im always thinking of is a brain tumor (i don't know why)

I am almost certain this is anxiety what do you all think about this? I mean im only 14 years old!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
    Arraicha
    Veteran
    (female)

Arraicha HB User
    Re: are these symtoms of anxiety?

Well, OCD happens to be an anxiety disorder. Some of the symptoms you described are typical of anxiety and some are not. It sounds more like you have a problem with your ears than anything else.

Since you make a lot of threads about anxiety, I decided I'd post you the DSM criterias for diagnosing anxiety.

GENERAL ANXIETY DISORDER:

A. Excessive anxiety and worry (apprehensive expectation), occurring more days than not for at least 6 months, about a number of events or activities (such as work or school performance).

B. The person finds it difficult to control the worry.

C. The anxiety and worry are associated with three (or more) of the following six symptoms (with at least some symptoms present for more days than not for the past 6 months). Note: Only one item is required in children.

-restlessness or feeling keyed up or on edge
    -being easily fatigued
    -difficulty concentrating or mind going blank
    -itability
    -muscle tension
    -sleep disturbance (difficulty falling or staying asleep, or restless unsatisfying sleep)

D. The focus of the anxiety and worry is not confined to features of an Axis I disorder, e.g., the anxiety or worry is not about having a Panic Attack (as in a Panic Disorder), being embarrassed in public (as in Social Phobia), being contaminated (as in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder), being away from home or close relatives (as in Separation Anxiety Disorder), gaining weight (as in Anorexia Nervosa), having multiple physical complaints (as in Somatization Disorder), or having a serious illness (as in Hypochondriasis), and the anxiety and worry do not occur exclusively during Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.

E. The anxiety, worry, or physical symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

F. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism) and does not occur exclusively during a Mood Disorder, a Psychotic Disorder, or a Pervasive Developmental Disorder.

PANIC ATTACKS:

DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA FOR A PANIC ATTACK
    Note: a Panic Attack is not a codable disorder.

A discrete period of intense fear or discomfort, in which four (or more) of the following symptoms developed abruptly and reached a peak within 10 minutes:

-palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate
    -sweating
    -trembling or shaking
    -sensations of shortness of breath or smothering
    -feeling of choking
    -chest pain or discomfort
    -nausea or abdominal distress
    -feeling dizzy, unsteady, lightheaded, or faint
    -derealization (feelings of unreality) or depersonalization (being detached from oneself)
    -fear of losing control or going crazy
    -fear of dying
    -paresthesias (numbing or tingling sensations)
    -chills or hot flushes

As for your age, anxiety disorders usually beginning in childhood or early adolescence, so 14 isn't an uncommon age.

But really, if you are so worried about anxiety, why haven't you seen a doctor yet? Also, assuming that you are being treated for your OCD, what does the professional treating you have to say?

Last edited by Arraicha; 03-14-2005 at 07:58 PM.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
    chickenx5
    (male)

chickenx5 HB User

i have been to the doctor but i didn't say anything about anxiety and he said it was a growth spurt, i forgot to add that the faint feelings in crowded areas seam to come from my upper nose/ fore head area. Its just hard to explain. Is a brain tumro a possibility>? I doubt it because when im having fun and stuff i never feel bad i feel great

Old 03-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
    chickenx5
    (male)

chickenx5 HB User

ear problems run in my family i forgot to say also, liek every boy in my family has had trouble my dad had clestioma. Im going camping friday and i always feel so relieved and good after i go camping (another reason why i think its anxiety)

Old 03-15-2005, 03:59 PM   #5
    chickenx5
    (male)

chickenx5 HB User

today i have a pain where if i jump or sometimes shake my head or go down stairs i get a sharp pain right aroun dmy temple area. Right where the sinuses are i think. My lips are also dry

Closed Thread