It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Meningism with severe headaches

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2005, 05:06 AM   #1
    Sonjaday
    (female)

Sonjaday HB User
    Meningism with severe headaches

My daughter has been diagnosed with the above after spending a week in hospital with the most horrendous headaches, dizziness, nausea, light, noise and movement sensitivity. She has pain in her back and neck, as she was involved in a slight car accident after her gp visit, which may be clouding the issue. She's been sent home now and after several horrendous experiences along the way, our gp's are now in charge and things seem to be going ok. She's on diclofenac 3 x 50mg and 8 x 1000mg paracetamol daily, but she's still in pain and waiting for the next medication. She has been sleeping all the morning and cannot open her eyes, could it be the diclofenac? Has anyone else had any experience of this and can help with what I can expect, does this go on for some time? Will there be a gradual improvement or will we have our ups and downs? Doctors and gp's don't seem to know. So if you can help me over the next few days and weeks I would be so grateful. We have been told it could last about 6-10 weeks!!!!! So any help anyone can give would be appreciated greatly. Weve heard Milk Thistle may help to support the liver when taking such large doses of medication, anyone have any ideas on that please? As you can see Im at my wits end, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    p.s. This is my first post, so I hope I've done everything right!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User
    Re: Meningism with severe headaches

do you mean meningitis?

Old 03-24-2005, 02:16 PM   #3
    Sonjaday
    (female)

Sonjaday HB User

Hi twizliz

No, not meningitis thankfully, my daughter was officially diagnosed with meningism, which is proving to be a completely debilitating illness. I was hoping someone reading the boards would have had some sort of contact with this and could ease my mind a little as to how long it could possibly last and at what severity.

I've found a site which give some help and I'm looking for more, so any help anyone could give me would be so very much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply and if you know of anything, please help.

thanks again.
    Sonja
    p.s. if you're interested the site I found is:-
    http://www.ccst.co.uk/articles2.htm

Old 03-24-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

sorry that I couldn't be of more help.. hopefully someone here can help you out

Old 09-24-2005, 05:17 AM   #5
    Calire1

Calire1 HB User

Hi Sonjaday
    Have only just seen your note above as have just been prescribed diclofenac for knee problems. However, I suffer badly with migraines and those symptoms you mention your daugheter is experiencing "most horrendous headaches, dizziness, nausea, light, noise and movement sensitivity" is exactly the migraine part I am sure. I had an overall check up as I seemed to have sickness problems as well as the horrible heads, and put it down to food, but was told directly that my migraines had changed from just the pain to this dreadfull thing. It floors you for about two days if you are not treated. So, with this in mind I was given Maxalt Melt (rizatriptan melt) which you take as soon as you feel the symptoms of a migraine coming on, (and yes there is a definite difference between a headache and migraine). It is in wafer (tiny) form and melts as soon as it touches the tongue thus preventing the feeling of wanting to be sick, tastes slightly of peppermint. It takes about 15 to 20 mins to work. You mentioned also that your daughter could not or had trouble opening her eyes. Again I think this could well be down to the migraine type pain she experiences as my eyes just will not stay open, its another way of your body making sure you stay put and rest I think! Its also very difficult to explain that one to people, as they cannot envisage your eyes having a mind of there own and just shutting, but its true! The other thing for the head and neck pain may be Feverfew a herbal remedy. I am about to start myself off on these as they need to be in your system for a while before you feel any effects, i.e. about a month, this is for a preventative and they are a herb so will take a while to work I guess. Anyhow its just a thought and worth having a look at the Migraine Sites as there are about 43 strians of migraines, Wonderful eh!! Oh and yes, the sleep thing is very deep, but you can still awake with the awful head. The soothing part is when you wrap somethin around your eyes so its completley pitch black and may be get someone to rub gently but firmly around the base of the skull, (occipital) and also a gentle stroking at the sides of the head and massage the head all over, it doesn't get rid of the pain as such but it is relaxing.
    I hope you are finding answers and sites that help you and your daughter, I wish you both well.
    Best Regards
    Calire1 (and Harry the dog) UK Based

Old 09-24-2005, 06:10 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I see where you have mentioned her GP several times but not a neurologist.has she been seen by one at all?i really do think that she would get much better care from a neuro vs any sort of GP.They can also offer better meds that are better geared for her specific condition.It is hard to see your child go through something so very painful and debilitating.i had to deal with that when my son went into liver failure.not pretty.What is her long term prognosis for the future with this condition?Or do they even know for sure.I have never heard of this condition at all before,how does it differ from actual menengitis?The symptoms you have mentioned all sound likt typical menengitis.if they expect her pain to be long lasting,she really should also(along with the neurologist)see a good pain doc at a pain management facility.They really can do wonders for her,really.They can offer so much more in the way of specific therepies and certain meds that will help her alot in trying to live somewhat more normally while havng to deal with all of the overwhelming pain she is having.But I would get her to a good neurologist as soon as possible.i just cannot see how any Gp would really be the best type of doc to treat this type of condition.If you have seen one but didn't care for him or her for some reason, please see another for at the very least here,a second opinion to make sure that she is recieving all the right treatments.From what you have stated it would appear that her pain is no where near being under control.The high amounts of the paracetamal are not doing her liver and kidneys any real favors here either.there are much better forms of long acting meds that she could be taking that contain absolutely no para at all.This is really where a good pain doc would really be your best bet.when I first went to see my pain doc,one of the very first things he did was to take me off all meds that contained any tylenol.when you have chronic pain and are going to be having to take narcotic pain meds on a very long term basis,even staying within the normal dosing that is considered 'safe' really will take it's toll on the liver and kidneys eventually.though tylenol sounds really harmless,it is a very harsh med when taken at higher doses or on a long term basis,even at the 'normal" doses.it is just not something that your daughter should have to constantly take.I hope you will get her to a good neuro,this is really the best type of doc for her.And if the neuro cannot handle her pain meds to a point that your daughter finally has some good relief,please follow my suggestion regarding a good pain doc.I certainly hope you daughters condition will improve soon for her.i do feel for the both of you.Hang in there and please keep me posted on how things are going.**

Closed Thread