It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Thrush, whats it look like? quick please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
    bowhunter9
    (male)

bowhunter9 HB User
    Thrush, whats it look like? quick please

Sometimes I develop sores on my soft palate or in my cheeks or gums. It normally takes 5 days or so for them to clear up and go away. They come and go, and are more frequent when I am stressed out. Would this be thrush or just canker sores? They look like canker sores, not like any pictures I have seen of thrush.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
    bowhunter9
    (male)

bowhunter9 HB User
    Re: Thrush, whats it look like? quick please

The reason I ask is about 2 years ago (18 months) I had a brief unprotected vaginal sex encounter with a woman of unknown status, the sex lasted about 20-40 seaconds before being interupted and we quit. I have felt very guilty about this since the night it happened but never really thought about HIV or anything. I am wondering if these canker sores could be thrush or if its thrush or what.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
    bowhunter9
    (male)

bowhunter9 HB User

anything? Does thrush look like canker sores?

Old 05-05-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
    ScruffyGuy
    Inactive
    (male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

If you want to see images of thrush, when doing a search online, use the words "thrush" AND "pathology."

Thrush does produce sores, but they are generally not independent of the white coating. Thrush is a thick, disgusting, white coating that covers the tongue and can infiltrate the throat, the sides of the inner cheeks, the upper pallet. Some say severe cases look like cottage cheese. This coating can be scraped away. When the coating is scraped away, sores are revealed underneath.

Thrush is usually very, very uncomfortable. It can make chewing and swallowing difficult and food taste funny.

It does not often clear up on its own. It does not have a cyclical presentation as you are saying the sores in your mouth do.

HIV as a result of unprotected sex eighteen months ago would almost certainly NOT result in symptoms such as thrush at this very early stage. Though it is possible, it is not likely. Generally speaking, symptoms of HIV start showing up around the three to five year mark after infection.

But that doesn't matter -- fearing HIV and attempting to diagnosis it by symptoms is IMPOSSIBLE and the cause of much terror by many, many people who start looking up this information online.

There are TONS of people like you who have a single symptom and are currently in panic mode thinking they have HIV. The net is a great, great resource, but too much information overload can be problematic.

Almost certainly you do not have HIV from the brief encounter you described.

Probably you do not have thrush, either.

But the ONLY WAY to know for sure is to see a doc.

YOU MUST SEE A DOC. PERIOD.

Meanwhile, at least you are comforted here with this information I've provided. You don't have to be nervous -- you can just get an appointment and get whatever this is taken care of.

If you want to get an HIV test, do so anonymously at a local clinic. This means NOT at your doctor's office. Let the doc examine your mouth -- if he suspects anything that requires testing, he will tell you and you can decide if you want to give consent.

Don't worry... you're going to be fine.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread