It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• still sprained?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
    Piranna65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Piranna65 HB User
    still sprained?

hello all!

If any of you remember I wrote a post on here a few weeks ago maybe 3 to be exact. I sprained my ankle falling down a hill...had a few in me

Anyway it's still stiff and can cause a small limp in the morning. It seems to be a little bit swollen underneath my bone too. Like kinda hard? And if I move it the wrong way I still get a nice shot of pain?

How long does it take for this to go away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
    smithn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

smithn HB User
    Re: still sprained?

Are you sure it's just a sprain? Ankle injuries take longer to heal due to your having to put your entire body weight on your feet every time you walk. It's awful! Keep your foot/ankle elevated as much as you can. Wrap it with an ACE wrap to give it some support. Take Motrin (as directed/tolerated) for the pain. It might be a month or more before it heals up nicely. If your pain increases at all, be sure you go in for an x-ray.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Welcome to SATNGAA (Sprained Ankles That Never Go Away Anonymous).

I think ankle fractures heal quicker than ankle sprains. A sprain stretches the ligament, sometimes permanently. I had one sprain that took MONTHS and MONTHS for the inflammation to go away, and it never really healed completely in the 20 years since. Of course I have weird feet to begin with. If you're worried, however, I'd get an X-ray and see an orthopedist. They may be able to help you w/ orthotics or something.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

The hardness is swelling. You might want to try some physical therapy. An orthopedist or your family doctor can refer you. They will be able to do special massage to get the swelling out of there. They can also do strengthening exercises that will help stabilize the ankle. Also, if you never got an x-ray, you should have them do one just to make sure that your bones are okay. You could also see about doing an x-ray where they put stress on the ankle to see how badly stretched/torn the ligaments are. I think you'd have to go to an orthopedist to get that one done.

Three weeks afterwards isn't terribly long, though, so it's not surprising that you are still recovering. But physical therapy can help the recovery along and help with the swelling, perhaps ward off long-term problems. Hope you feel better soon!

Old 05-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
    Piranna65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Piranna65 HB User

thanks everyone. I was beginning to wonder if I should go in. My boyfriend (not a doc. i know) he told me it was a sprain. It was swollen and bruised for a few days. Still a bit swollen underneath, but no pain, only if it gets moved or pivited/twisted the wrong way...

My heart stops everytime my ankle does something now cuz im afraid it'll happen all over again!! I never want to feel that pain again. I keep it elevated at night b4 bed or if im not working i ususally keep it up on the couch...

Thanks for the feedback!

Closed Thread