It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• swollen lymph nodes in groin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
    twiggy7977
    (female)

twiggy7977 HB User
    swollen lymph nodes in groin

My son (7 yr old) has had swollen lymph nodes in his groin area for a couple weeks now. He hasn't had any colds or any other illness for a long time and i can't think of any reason they should be swollen. They don't hurt to touch but one is quite large...about a 1/2-1 inch in size.

I am not sure when i should take him to the doc. as he feels fine. Should i just wait for a bit to see if it goes down?

Suggestions?
    thanks!
    Twiggy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
    ScruffyGuy
    Inactive
    (male)

ScruffyGuy HB User
    Re: swollen lymph nodes in groin

Twiggy:

The adult immune system develops when we are children. Minor infections are common at young ages. Kids develop antibodies each time they catch a bug, giving them immunity as they grow into adults.

Swollen nodes in kids that appear without apparent cause are not uncommon. Even a small cut or scrape that has mostly healed can be the culprit.

However... you should take him to the doc just to be certain. It makes no sense right now to issue warnings to you about illnesses that are more serious which result in swollen nodes. These would be pretty darn rare in children.

A visit to the doc will at least alleviate your worries.

You could potentially wait a week or two, but it might take nearly just as long to get an appointment. Why not make an appointment now and see what happens while you are waiting?

It could also take a long time for the nodes to reduce in size. No need to panic about this, either.

But, yeah... get him checked out so you can relax. Almost certainly it is of no concern -- but it's a wise idea to eliminate anything troublesome and chalk it up to just being a kid!

Old 05-25-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
    twiggy7977
    (female)

twiggy7977 HB User
    Re: swollen lymph nodes in groin

Thank you for your reply....
    I think i will take him in...no harm in that...
    He has had ear infections before with out telling me...he just never mentions when things hurt..maybe it is just that..

Thanks again..made me feel a lot calmer..

Twiggy

Closed Thread