It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Burning Tongue Syndrome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
    crunch capt
    (female)

crunch capt HB User
    Question Burning Tongue Syndrome

I have just returned from a cruise and suddenly my tongue became sore,as if I scalded it with hot coffee. My lips also burn. It's been over one month since it started and I am going crazy. I cannot eat anything that is spicy and I have to eat my food almost lukewarm. Does anyone have this condition and if so would you PLEASE give me some advice on how to deal with it! Also I would like to know what triggered it in the first place and will it
    go away?

thanks in advance to anyone who responds!
    crunch captain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
    tigger_girl76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger_girl76 HB User
    Re: Burning Tongue Syndrome

It's possible that you could have picked up some sort of virus. Cruise ships are notorious for carrying flus and viruses. How are you feeling overall? I would make an appt with your family doctor and get some blood drawn.

Another possibility is an allergic reaction to something. Has your diet changed at all?

Take care.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
    Kat1966
    (female)

Kat1966 HB User

hello,
    When I have ulsers on my toungue, it feels strange, numb and hurts.
    Do you feel any bumps on your toungue? I know I can't eat any salt, garlic or anything spicy when I have ulsers. I am not saying that's what it is.
    The person who said could you have picked up a virus had a good thought. Perhaps if this isn't better you should see a Dr.
    Good Luck and please keep us informed we care.
    Kat1966.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
    westymom
    (female)

westymom HB User

What you have is called 'burning tongue syndrome' or 'burning mouth syndrome' and I have had it for about 10 years. Sometimes it's uncomfortable and sometimes it's just plain agony. I went to a number of doctors and most of them looked at me like I was crazy. I told my primary care doctor that I was seriously considering suicide, and I was. Then one evening, on my local news, there was a 'health segment' that talked about the, then, little known condition called 'burning tongue syndrome'. FINALLY !!!
    Someone knew what I was going through. I got a transcript of the segment and took it to my doctor. The research suggested that taking the drug clonazepam (1 mg.) every day had been shown to help. I have been taking this drug for about 4 years now, and it has helped. The longer I take it, though, the less effective it is. Now, when I have pain I take 2 tablets a day, for 3 or 4 days and that seems to help. I know that you posted this message 2 years ago, but I just joined today. Anyway, I hope this helps.
    westymom

Last edited by westymom; 05-04-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: I forgot to sign it.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Hi, all. I noticed this topic and couldn't help but respond. IF it is burning tongue/mouth syndrome, a good friend of mine has had this problem. Saw several doctors and did not get much relief. He wound up seeing an acupuncturist who suggested it might be food allergies. Through acupuncture treatments and supplements (acupuncturist is also a Chinese herbologist) and by eliminating certain things from his diet he has not had a flare-up in over a year. Sorry -- I don't know off the top of my head what he's eliminated from his diet but I do know from doing research for him that there is much support for the theory of this syndrome being caused by allergies. Good luck, crunch -- hope they find out what it is and that you feel better soon!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
    Jakeysmom
    (female)

Jakeysmom HB User

Did you just come off an antibiotic? A simple explanation for your symptoms could be a burning tongue form an oral yeast infection. A couple of months ago I took Levaquin (never ever again) for a sinus infection. Among a host of other side effects I got an oral yeast infection (thrush) I too felt like I had a coffee burn that never would go away. My doc gave me 5 days of Nystatin swish and swallow and my infection and burning tougue went away. And btw my thrush was not severe and my doc almost missed it, but the burning tongue clued her in. Note that for some it takes more than 5 days on the Nystatin.

Last edited by Jakeysmom; 05-05-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Closed Thread