It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Less food leads to weight gain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
    samizzle79
    (female)

samizzle79 HB User
    Less food leads to weight gain?

The past couple of days i've been eating less. The first two days i felt my stomach kind of more flat and i felt good. Today i feel like normal again. It looks like i just ate a full meal, when i really ate nothing. Could this be because metabolism slows down when you don't eat as much? I exercise almost daily so i thought that would make up for it, because exercise increases your metab. Right? Any advice or thoughts are welcome!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 08:44 PM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: Less food leads to weight gain?

Two days is not long enough to make much difference. Body size varies day to day depending on how much fluid is being retained, how much salt consumed, and other variables.

Old 05-30-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
    samizzle79
    (female)

samizzle79 HB User

So should i keep on eating less? I've been drinking more - would this maintain the weight that i am at due to retaining water or shed a few?

Old 05-31-2005, 12:33 AM   #4
    julielynnb
    (female)

julielynnb HB User

Not eating is not the key to weight loss.You are slowing your body's metabolism down by not getting your body the fuel that it needs to burn calories. By working out on a daily basis and not eating healthy or in your case not enough you will never see the results you are craving.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:13 AM   #5
    Sunlover
    Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Losing weight (and gaining) doesn't happen immediately. It's like crashing into a brick wall going 60mph, the car stops but your body continues on at 60 mph... Say you were eating 2500/day, then dropped to 1500, for the first week or more your body is still going on that 2500 calories. And it works the opposite way too - I know that in 2002 when I got so stressed and dropped to 110 pounds, my stress left at 114 pounds and I began eating NORMALLY at 114 pounds, however I lost 4 more pounds, my body was still in the "losing mode". My mom's friend went on a diet and GAINED a pound the first week ("gaining mode") you just have to be patient and stick to it. and stick to the exercise to make it go quicker.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #6
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User

Less Food Does Not Lead To Weight Gain - The story of "Cal" and "Mel"
    The Keys to Weight Gain and Loss......

Everybody "burns" a certain number of calories each day... Many things influence this - Age, Exercise, Water retention, Metabolic Rate, Smoking, Climate and many other factors..........

But Forget the Sugar, Forget the Carbs, Forget the Fat, and Forget the Fad Diets........ There is a Universal law that dictates weight gain and loss - and that is CALORIES and YOUR METABOLIC RATE, yes "good old Cal and good old Mel".

It's VERY SIMPLE - if you are Consumming More Calories than you Burn each day, You Will Gain Weight........ and the opposite is true, if you Burn more Calories than you Consume the you Will Loose Weight. Yes, it's that simple.
    Of course weight fluctuations from day to day dont mean much..... the only way to see which direction youre headed in is the "Big Picture", in other words the direction over a longer period of time.

I lost 74 pounds in 3 months simply by eating small portions and thereby cutting calories. I also had to make sure that what I was eating was low in calories and I did not "starve". I went from 223 down to 149 (5' 11", medium build male) and because I didnt want to repeat the effort again I have only gained back 20 of the 74 pounds, 40 years after the diet ended, by watching my calories.

Fats and Sugars are invariably high in calories. So eating/drinking foods with high concentrations of these is going to make it hard or impossible to loose weight.

You can eat a balanced, healthy diet that is low in calories.........that tates great

Remember: Each pound of fat on your body is is 3,500 calories...... to loose that pound of fat you will need a net loss of 3,500 calories. if your body burns 2000 calories a day and you consume 1,500 calories a day, you will loose weight at a rate of approximatley 1 pound a week (7 x 500 = 3,500). But remember, the onset of dieting is often marked by a greater initial weight loss due to water loss which shouldnt be confused with the real fat loosing process which starts a few days after the initial water loss.

And the truth of the matter is that you could loose weight by eating only fat, or only sugar but your portions would have to be miniscule because of the high caloric content that these substances have. And you would probably get sick, too, from lack of proper nutrients..... So say Hi to "Cal" and "Mel".....

Last edited by TheHappyMan; 06-01-2005 at 06:55 PM.

Old 06-02-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
    samizzle79
    (female)

samizzle79 HB User

Wow, thank you! That makes a lot of sense. Is there a way to count definite calories lost and gained per day? (by exercise/ eating)

Old 06-02-2005, 04:38 PM   #8
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samizzle79
    Wow, thank you! That makes a lot of sense. Is there a way to count definite calories lost and gained per day? (by exercise/ eating)
    You are so welcome.... Well to answer your question - it's a lot easier to count the calories you consume in a day than the number of ones you burn.......

As far as consumption, all foods sold in containers are supposed to have thier nutritional contents listed on the container somewhere. And it's usually done on a number of servings per container basis so you have to do a little math but it's pretty easy to figure out how many calories your consumming that way. Then there are the foods which are not sold in containers (i.e. an apple) and all kinds of bottled beverages (i.e. - a glass of wine). For these you would need to know the caloric content... You can buy a paperback book like "Food Counts" to find these out and a book like that even lists items from places like Burger King, Dunkin Donuts and the like...... SO, figuring out you caloric intake isnt too hard, you can probably get it to within 90% accuracy.....

But, the hard part, would be calculating the calories that you burn every day.... Because everybodies Metabolism is different this becomes difficult if not impossible. And your Metabolism burns a different number of calories when you are doing different things (i.e. - exercising, sleeping, sitting..... etc). SO, figuring out what you burn in a day is practically impossible.

But fortunatley, just being aware of the relationship between calories and metabolism can still help you achieve a life-long balance with your body.... I guess the important thing to remember is that if you want to loose some weight then dont tell yourself "I gotta cut down on the fatty foods", or "I gotta cut back on the sweets", or "I gotta cut back on the Carbs", or that you have to cut back on anything. If you want to loose weight, either cut some of your caloric intake, increase your metabolic rate (by exercise...), or try both.....

Old 06-02-2005, 09:01 PM   #9
    samizzle79
    (female)

samizzle79 HB User

Wouldn't cutting my caloric intake be much easier if i did cut out sweets or fatty foods? I wouldn't cut them out totally but it makes sense to try to cut them out little by little.
    Also, I searched online to find a count of calories lost during the day and you had to click on what you did during the day. (i.e: sleep, run, laundry, makeup) Would this be useful?

Old 06-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samizzle79
    Wouldn't cutting my caloric intake be much easier if i did cut out sweets or fatty foods? I wouldn't cut them out totally but it makes sense to try to cut them out little by little.
    Also, I searched online to find a count of calories lost during the day and you had to click on what you did during the day. (i.e: sleep, run, laundry, makeup) Would this be useful?
    Absolutley....... Cutting down on Fatty Foods, Sweets, Greasy Foods and a number of other things can help you reduce caloric intake. Did you know a whole Cucumber has only 10 calories but a tablespoon of Mayonnaise has 100 , a tablespoon of Ketchup has 110, an Avaocado has 325 and a Milky Way Candy Bar has 225 Calories. You can see how important it it to know the caloric content of what you are eating..... These things can add up quick !!!!

Go to lunch at macDonalds and have a Big Mac and medium Fries and a Coke and youre in for 1200 calories right there...... And if you have a Breakfast and Dinner too you can see how easy it is to drive those calories up into many thousands per day.... Many more than your body may be burning. So then you gain weight.

As for the calories you burn each day, it's far too complex to keep track of those because they vary so much from day to day...... and your "base metabolic rate" is an unknown - that is how many calories you would burn doing absolutley nothing - everybodies is different.

But IT IS easy to keep track of your Calories and set a reasonable limit for yourself and adjust it if your weight is going the wrong direction.

Last edited by TheHappyMan; 06-03-2005 at 05:00 PM.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:27 PM   #11
    samizzle79
    (female)

samizzle79 HB User

Alright. Thank you so much for all of the advice. If i have another question, i'll be sure to ask you first

Old 06-20-2005, 05:06 PM   #12
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by akessler
    Definitely do not stop eating. Your body needs to get a certain amount of calories each day and if it does not get that, it will start burning muscle for energy, which in turn will slow the metabolism.
    Yes, definitley dont stop eating altogether.......

Old 06-20-2005, 05:45 PM   #13
    samizzle79
    (female)

samizzle79 HB User

Yeah I definitely won't stop eating all together...I don't think i could do that :-p haha any other advice is welcome

Old 06-20-2005, 11:55 PM   #14
    viccles
    Veteran
    (female)

viccles HB User

I have lost quite a bit of weight and found that I have been eating more and still losing weight...but eating healthier foods with less calories and fat...make sense?

Old 06-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #15
    samizzle79
    (female)

samizzle79 HB User

yeah that makes sense. I am bad at judging how many calories are in a meal and i generally eat pretty healthy

Closed Thread