It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• High Pulse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
    manlyman
    (male)

manlyman HB User
    High Pulse

Hi all,

I have a really high pulse. Over 100 at rest unless I'm with my girlfriend.

I'm 250 pounds and 21, so obviously overweight. I've recently started going to the gym to try to lose weight, but my pulse always goes into the cardio zone of the target heart rate (160 ish).

I need to lower my pulse. My doctor gave me a beta blocker but I'm only 21 and apparently it will knock me out for any chance of kids for a while.

Any ideas on how I can lower my pulse? Once I've gone to the gym for a few months and lost some weight will my pulse naturally fall?

Sometimes I hear it in my head just from climbing the stairs. Or if I run, I hear my pulse in my head really loud. I dont know if its supposed to do that?

Current meds are avapro for HBP.

Thanks!

-Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
    cdaus
    (female)

cdaus HB User
    Re: High Pulse

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjuszczak
    Hi all,

If I were you I would start with losing weight first and see if that helps. Meds should be the last resort, especially the kind of meds that you have to take everyday for the rest of your life. You should also get another doctor's opinion. For myself when my heart rate goes high I drink a large glass of water and it brings it down. Something else might work for you other than meds. Sometimes if you eat something that doesn't agree with your body it can cause your pulse rate to rise.

I have a really high pulse. Over 100 at rest unless I'm with my girlfriend.
    I'm 250 pounds and 21, so obviously overweight. I've recently started going to the gym to try to lose weight, but my pulse always goes into the cardio zone of the target heart rate (160 ish).

I need to lower my pulse. My doctor gave me a beta blocker but I'm only 21 and apparently it will knock me out for any chance of kids for a while.

Any ideas on how I can lower my pulse? Once I've gone to the gym for a few months and lost some weight will my pulse naturally fall?

Sometimes I hear it in my head just from climbing the stairs. Or if I run, I hear my pulse in my head really loud. I dont know if its supposed to do that?

Current meds are avapro for HBP.

Thanks!

-Matt

Last edited by cdaus; 07-19-2005 at 12:45 PM.

Old 07-19-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I also have a high pulse. It can be anywhere from 80-100 while at rest. The doctors don't seem to be concerned about mine, but I think mine is because I'm very worried and have several anxiety disorders, including panic attacks, which cause my heart rate to skyrocket. Some people, though, just have a naturally high pulse rate. If you've noticed that your pulse rate has recently increased a lot, I would say yours is associated with being overweight, but you seem to be doing the right thing by changing your diet and exercising. I would still check with your doctor first, though, to rule out any other potential problems and before starting a rigorous exercise routine. Good luck and God bless!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 07-19-2005 at 01:25 PM.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
    manlyman
    (male)

manlyman HB User

Something else might work for you other than meds. Sometimes if you eat something that doesn't agree with your body it can cause your pulse rate to rise.

^ what you say there is very weird, and might be my problem. I have IBS. I have bowel movements more than daily, and I upset my stomach a lot because I eat pizza, etc. that bothers my stomach (I've recently gotten better). Maybe exercising four times a week and eating healthier (which i Just started doing) will help me! He wants me on a beta blocker now, but I dont really want to, and I kinda want to say "Doc, give me a little bit". All my other tests are fine.

Recently, my temples have begun to feel "pressure". Is this normal for HBP/pulse? My mom also says it could be my eyes, because the pressure comes towards the end of the day when I've been staring at a computer screen for a while. I think I might need glasses....

-Matt

Old 07-22-2005, 03:18 AM   #5
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User

"Over 100 at rest unless I'm with my girlfriend"

Is it higher or lower when with your girlfriend? If it's lower, I'd suggest stress might be contributing to your high heart rate. I know that I'm more relaxed when I'm with my sweetheart :-) So relaxation techniques, yoga etc mig be a good idea.

Drop the betablockers. Seriously, that type of medication is only good when all else fails. Also, they will affect how well you can exercise, they usually leave you feeling tired and make you feel unfit.
    Losing weight is a priority. Your blood pressure will fall. By icreasing your fitness level your heart rate will fall.
    A heart rate of 160 isn't a bad heart rate to be exercising on, unless you're exhausted while doing it. (having your heart checked might be wise though)

Also, on a tangent, but don't try to lose weight too fast, 2lbs a week is the max. Don't starve yourself either: it's unhealthy and could have the opposite effect of what you want. Maybe check the Exercise part of this forum? And the section about food?

Last edited by starsofglass; 07-22-2005 at 03:19 AM.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:11 AM   #6
    MissAngela
    Veteran
    (female)

MissAngela HB User

What is so wrong with Beta Blockers??

Old 07-22-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissAngela
    What is so wrong with Beta Blockers??
    Good question I have taken them for two years?

Closed Thread